Stupid car drivers

Insurance is fully aware that my bike isn't standard, as a learner over 17 I can ride a bike with power not exceeding 11Kw, I asked my instructor on the day, if I was 16 I'd be restricted to 31MPH but over 17's are restricted to 58MPH

Also you are missing the point here, speed had nothing to do with it, I would have been going that fast resticted or not. I started this thread to get car drivers to be more considerate when making signals

DUDE & all,

MAINLY: glad you're OK...my first front wheel slide was my last (so far)....kept it up though ...<last-minute (split-second) decision NOT to join a roundabout!...I was a rookie at the time...rubbish observations on my part were to blame >

Bummer that the dude in front lost the plot for a second with the indicators.

BAAALS to the subject of: "car drivers", "cars", "bike drivers" & "bikes"... its WHO is in control of that machine and how good of a job they are doing that matters iie : are they CONCENTRATING (hopefully) or AUTOPILOTING or DAYDREAMING....( bad things will happen unless luck keeps teh operator and other road users out of trouble here)

De-restricting a machine before the law says so: not the most significant subject considering the curcumstances.....(more brain, less balls is fine on a prematurely derestricted bike IM personal O).

I am a driver and a rider and even as a driver I could be 'caught out' by a misleading indicator or speed or position etc).

Season / weather: I locked the front in the dry! (prick I am?) and even in the wet modern tyres are VERY GOOD INDEED if kept up well....and if there are no supprises (so no blaming winter riding please).

dont be put off.....get your mean machine back up and running and accept this experience as another tool to your riding abillity toolkit

REMEMBER (you had it lucky compaired with Ceirwan...he lost his legs for MONTHS)...and even LUCKIER compared with MANY of our unnamed 2-wheeled compardres are dead as a doornail because of similar driver/rider errors.....you only get one life remember.....a handelbar in the ribs could have shoved a broken rib through your heart......

DRIVERS: dont think you're safe either just because youre wrapped in tinfoil....

ALL MSC: CONCENTRATE HARD while having FUN :)

TRC's STINK!

DRIVERS & RIDERS are the only pepole who can reduce them

ModdedMicra, if you have done a CBT on a moped restricted to 31bhp, you can only ride a moped restricted to 31bhp. Same as you can only ride a geared 125 if you have done your CBT on a geared 125.

no as soon as you turn 17 you can ride a 125! Cause I know loads of people that have done it! And thats what the bloke who I did my CBT with said!

This reminds me, that I almost had an accident, coming out of a car park turning left. A car approaching me on the same side of the road, indicated left to turn into the car park, so I pulled out.

Seems as though his indicator stayed on from the island and he hadn't realised, luckily he stopped in time.

Either way, it was my fault, as the highway code states, and you would have been told during driving lessons that you NEVER assume a persons indicator is correct. You only know they are turning WHEN they turn.

This is even more important on a bike, and it wasn't just the car drivers mistake, but also yours, you could have easily avoided the accident, if you have a full driving license, you should have enough road experience. And more concentration on a bike than in a car.

no as soon as you turn 17 you can ride a 125! Cause I know loads of people that have done it! And thats what the bloke who I did my CBT with said!

Maybe it would have been cheaper for me to do a moped CBT, and then buy a 125?

If you do a CBT on a moped, and want to ride a geared 125, you have to do another CBT, on the correct machine, it clearly states that on the back of the CBT certificate also.

I did my CBT on a 125, I was told I could ride a 50cc as well, this was from the mouth of my instructor ok so no offence guys but I'm gunna believe him in this case.

ModdedMicra, if you have done a CBT on a moped restricted to 31bhp, you can only ride a moped restricted to 31bhp. Same as you can only ride a geared 125 if you have done your CBT on a geared 125.
That would be a bloody quick moped!

Maybe it would have been cheaper for me to do a moped CBT, and then buy a 125?

If you do a CBT on a moped, and want to ride a geared 125, you have to do another CBT, on the correct machine, it clearly states that on the back of the CBT certificate also.

All CBTs cost the same?! Doesn't say it on the back of mine, although I have just realised by reading it that i can still ride a 50cc as i passed my driving test.

And If that if true then why have none of the many people i know who have gone on to a 125 been done when they got pulled by the police?

Theres seems a misunderstanding here, olly did his test on a geared 125. THEREFORE as he is over 17 he can ride a bike OR moped with up to a 125cc capacity and a maximum of 12hp, there is no speed limit, the idea being that its mechanically limited by how fast you can go with 12hp. There is no law that states he must be restricted to 30mph if he rides a 50cc moped, thats only when your 16!
So as long as his modifications are declared then he can tune it as much as he wants up to 12hp.

If he then passes his bike test, being under 21 he's not eligble for direct access, he is then restricted to a maximum of 33bhp for 2 years, this can be ANY capacity of bike as long as it is restricted to 33hp. There is also a power to weight ratio restriction but i can't remember it.

Thanks for clearing that up lol. When I pass I'm gunna get a restricted 400cc, that way when my 2 years are up I can just derestrict it and won't have to buy a new bike

When I passed my test I was told by the senior instructor, "always treat car drivers like blind idiots, you'll live longer that way", 30 years later and still treating them like idiots, I have managed to survive. (Looks round quickly for piece of wood to touch. :grinning: )
I still ride on wet greasy roads (very carefully), but my arthritis plays hob when its freezing these days so I take the Micra out then.
Glad to hear you only had bumps and bruises, the positive to take from the whole experience is you have survived and you will be more aware and wary in future.
All the best, James :k11yellow

Back