Nissan micra Park brake Efficiency 13% below requiremen 3.7.A.10.

HI All,
I have just had an Mot and it had failed for the ark brake Efficiency 13% below requiremen 3.7.A.10.

I have been told it could be anything from cleaning the Brake shoes, or it may need the shoe pads replacing or it may be the Cylinder. They need to take the wheel off to Analyse it

Can this be done by myself or do it leave it to the Mechanic. I do my own servcing on my Nissan Micra, but i have not does the brakes.

I have the Haynes Manual, but i had not looked at it yet.

If anybody has any tips or advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

i would de-glaze the shoes with some 40 grit, and turn the "self adjusters" a few clicks siraz (turn them till the drum snags very slightly when it is spun)

Hi Frank,
Thank you for your reply.
So i need to rub with 40 Grit sandpaper on the Brake shoes. Where would be the adjuster be ?

So this could be contaminted with oil and dust, i presume.

the hardest part i find is putting the lower spring back on..and that doesnt take that long......am sure ya will know when ya take the drum off and have a look if they need changing or not, or a wheel cylinder weeping abit and if all ok deffo do what frank said...........there not as hard as they look to do if ya not done them before

Taking the rear hubs off makes the job much easier. The self adjuster tends to be gudged up n seized with dirt n brake dust over yrs. A good clean up n double check everything with haynes book shouldn't be too hard.
Make sure the adjusters cleaned n lightly greased to work properly. Reassemble everything. Smoothly crank the handbrake several times, hearing the ratchet clicking until it stops and the shoes are now as close as they should be.
When first moving, press the brakes hard and it should be firm with no air pockets. Test brakes at low speed down road making sure it works normal as its important.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will read Haynes Manual over the weekend, as otherwise the garage said about £30.00 to do it, if there is shoes to be changed or cylinder then you will be paying £13.00 for each shoes and the cylinder £25.00 each.

Thanks Again for your help and advice.

I have tools, but not many Mechanic tools and have a socket set box, but not many variety. Do you need special tool to do the Brakes.

new shoes are £18 a set and cylinders £10 each.

i think when i did mine i used some small rod/screwdriver to poke the brake shoe release mechanism before taking the drums off and needle nose pliers to take the springs & clips apart

to take the hub off and make access easier needs a big socket & breaker bar and maybe a hub puller if it doesn't slide out easy.

hooking the clips and spring caps back may require shouting n swearing

Hi Siraz,

Might be worth looking at the handbrake cables also. Mine always seem to split about 8-10 inches forward of the brake backing plate. Once split, the handbrake becomes less effective.

Oldspike

Hi All,
Thank you all for your replies.

i am taking it to the Garage tomorrow, as they said £30.00 and i will need to them Re-test, as i will need the Mot certificate, as they have refused the Mot due to Park brake Efficiency 13% below requirement 3.7.A.10.

If i do it myself and i only have till Monday and i will have to pay for another Mot Test fee which is £30.00 again.

Dear All,
It was cylinder leak on the rear side of the driver side. The rear of the passenger side was ok.

Mechanic told me the Brake shoes are ok, as they may need changing at the Next MOT, so don't change it now.

His partner said £30.00, so this must be the Labour, as i thought it just needed cleaning, but it was a cylinder failure on the one of the back wheels. So he replaced the Cylinder, which i phone the car part shop who sells car accessories and he said i was £10.00 per cylinder.

When i came to pay the final bill he asked for £55.00, i told your Partner said £30.00 and then he said ok pay £45.00. so i paid £45.00, as he had asked one of his driver to pick the part up from the shop, as he was coming back to the Garage.

I Feel the Handbrake is new, as it gone more stiffer, as you do not need to pull too much up.

See the link i have uploaded the pictures.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/siraz_bucket/

I just wanted opinon or advice, as my front wheel passenger side sometimes i can smell burning rubber smell, not all the times, but now and again.

I took it to a friend who works at the National Tyres and he had a looked at it and he could not find any defects, as i thought it may the Front pads may be sticking.

I only drive 2000 - 2500 miles a year it may be short journery from 1/2 mile to a 2 miles.

Weekend sometimes 40 miles returns journey.

Majority of times it may not get moved 2-3 days, as i olnu use it for shopping, Going out Shopping centre, Picking children now and again, as i live locally to School and Work place and this is why it does not get used much.

Thanks again to all of you who have replied.(Y)

I wish I'd noticed you were in Lancashire (where abouts?). Both mine went when I had my K11, could have done it for you :grinning:.

yeh that job is around that price for both sides from a garage or people you dont know
and like you said the hand brake feels brand new
give us more feed back on them as time goes on,and they like being driven more than not. they can sit their sulking:grinning:

Back