A couple of MOT questions

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all,
Took the beast in for an MOT today. All in all a good result but had a couple of small fails which i need advise on.

1. Nearside Rear brake recording little of no effort (3.7.A.4a) (3.7.A.7a)
2. Nearside Rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.7a)
3. Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.10)

Advisory:
Offside rear parking brake effort low

Now i know that the rear brake shoes need replacing as they are down to minimum. Do you think that replacing these will be enough to fix me up for a pass or are there other things that might need attention ie brake cylinders?

thanks in advance

Cylinders are so so common on Micras.

New shoes, clean up brake drums and new cylinders with a brake fluid change will do you a treat.

Rob

PS just re-read your post.

You've failed on parking brake(handbrake) and foot brake so i'd expect maybe handbrake adjustment as already mentioned, but if you are changing shoes you'll be doing that anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Did all the work today. What a fiddly mother of a job that was!!!!!

The rear nearside cylinder was leaking and had contaminated the shoes, hence the problems.
All done now and ready for a re-test :)

It also gave me a chance to fit my wheels spacers :)

Dont forget to work the handbrake a little bit when you get it back on the road, help bed the shoes in a bit.

Dont forget to work the handbrake a little bit when you get it back on the road, help bed the shoes in a bit.

Thanks mate, i will do that.
Just took it out for a spin after adjusting the handbrake and it still seems kinda crap. I guess it will need a bit of time to bed in?

The handbrake is crap? Are they holding ok on hills?

Have you adjusted the shoes correctly? Did you clean the inside of the drums?

Yeah i cleaned the drums and put it all back together correctly. I was just expecting it to be better than it is?

It feels fine actually and does just about hold on hills if i really pull it up. Maybe i need to adjust it up a bit more. How many clicks should i expect before is sufficiently applied?

Leave if for a few miles and see if it improves.

I'd expect 3-4 clicks before locks the brake on matey.

Leave if for a few miles and see if it improves.

I'd expect 3-4 clicks before locks the brake on matey.

Ahhhh that could be the problem......it needs a bit more adjustment as it clicks many more than 3-4.
Thanks for all the help.....much appreciated :)

That'll be the problem then matey. Get them adjusted up again other wise they will fail them again.

Back