• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My facelift K11

Propper pics yet?

No just similar half-car ones on the driveway, been too busy with work, and not had any photo opportunities as the carpark's always full.

5860156055_e7ff57baf4_z.jpg

Did have some quite serious scrapege on all four corners after the first drive. Fronts scraped on turns and rears scraped on any bump.

5860156035_dfd52c0d5f_z.jpg

Removed all of the front n/s arch lining and also hammered in the metal that was rubbing, then painted the bare metal. O/S wasn't too bad due to not having quite as big dip, just removed one piece of trim. Also rolled the top of front archers with a hammer and raised the front suspension another 10mm just to ensure it wouldnt rub for the commute to work in the morning. Had to also take the hammer to the rear arches again, still needs more doing to add a slight flare which would cure it, but it's really loud and I live in a bit of a quite area so don't want to annoy the neighbours at 7/8pm really, so I'm just avoiding bumps at the minute. I've also removed the front mudflaps, bit of a cleaner look now.

I've had a few comments from friends and collegues pointing out the wheels saying their really nice, not seen any of them before, suit the car etc:blush: And is even more of a headturner to the v dubbers now, did get laughed at by a s#ity looking stock hight Ibza with a bonnet bra, but that don't bother me.

These wheels are a fair bit heavier than steelies. Acceleration has been reduced slightly especially at low rpm and getting them to roll from stationary. It's not too bad at high rpm, 0-60 is probably about the same but hard to judge yet. Don't get wheel spin from these wheels, so I can lay down as much power as I want, but then they need more power to get them to roll. So nothing too bad, just something to remember when I go for more power, might end up going back to steels for the weight, wheel see:wasntme:

Got a better photo of this thing, no idea what it is, there's one on each end of the crossmember, it's what scrapes the ground the most. Safe to remove?
5860156053_78cc67d7b4_z.jpg

Yeah guessed it would be but I have an ordinary toe eye and I've not seen them on any other k11s on here before. May remove them next time I'm under there, I'll still have the toe eye so I should be fine.

Yeah guessed it would be but I have an ordinary toe eye and I've not seen them on any other k11s on here before. May remove them next time I'm under there, I'll still have the toe eye so I should be fine.
Yeah mckenziecz had the same troublesome things on his SR... gives me an idea to remove them off of it now before i get it back to lowness (Y)

Managed to get some better pics today, nothing special, but it's looking quite good if I say so myself. Not seen any other car lower than it on the roads, some old vws about as low, but nothing further, quite deceptive these pics, as they're taken at hip height. Does get a few double takes from people which is fun, but still goes unoticed by most which I also like. Nobody's mentioned anything about the ford rims on a nissan though.

Next to a k12
5881973764_76f4b35909_z.jpg

K12 gone
5881973770_185999ca7b_z.jpg

Front wheel without trim
5881973758_14316e09f2_z.jpg

Went shopping today and loaded the boot up with a weeks worth of groceries, and the rear wheels scrubbed alot, almost all the way home for the rear n/s. Also drove with a passenger in and rear n/s again was scrubbing alot. On my own and they're not bad only scrub on bumps while cornering. But something needs to be done as I've obviously made it less of a 'daily', than I wanted. Got the option of DIY flaring, and or spring assistors, or tougher springs. I think either of them would solve the scrubbing and make it a much better daily car. I like it low, but needs to be more useable:wasntme:

Turbo build is coming along nicely, nothing new yet, but got a few things in the post and lined-up. May try and get it running at very low boost sooner than I thought, but certainly not going to rush it.

if its scrubbing on one side i would suggest thats the panhard not set correctly! also them tow bits you removed id keep them on as when they hit the floor you know nothing else is like your sump, bumper etc.... i have grooves in my floor from the college speed bumps

Going against the grain here but isn't the slammed look rather outdated now? Reminds me of the US Civic ricer croud owned primarily by Mexican's, (not a racial slur!).

The sacrifice in terms of handling is a blatant burden, plus all the scrapages that it brings, especially with aftermarket wheels and tyres. I won't even get into the details but I would bet that would be an absolute pig to drive if you were pushing it. Good handling in a K11 is quite a long way from where people think it should be...

If you really do want to run that low you will need an adjustable panhard rod to cater for the lateral rear axle movement. A set of adjustable trailing arms would also help to put the rear wheels back in place and to stop the rear wheels from potentially hitting the front of the arch under extreme loads, (maybe still ok with 15" wheels though). Also it would be good to invest in a castor/camber kit for the front to help put the front back towards where it should be.

if its scrubbing on one side i would suggest thats the panhard not set correctly! also them tow bits you removed id keep them on as when they hit the floor you know nothing else is like your sump, bumper etc.... i have grooves in my floor from the college speed bumps

Panhard rod is about as good is it can get, the little amount of poke I have is equal on both sides. Typically it's the o/s that scrubs when it's lowered and not corrected. It's the whole rear suspension setup that's not suited to that drop or tyre-arch gap. I've not removed the tow brackets, and can only remove the one really. And they only scrape because they're so far infront of the wheels, and they're not going to protect the rest of the car. How big are your speed bumpsfwn I don't even have grooves in my floor, some soundproofing scrapped off on a couple of big ones though:wasntme:

Going against the grain here but isn't the slammed look rather outdated now? Reminds me of the US Civic ricer croud owned primarily by Mexican's, (not a racial slur!).

Being low is not a trend *that's a bumper sticker idea right there eh* it's just personal taste, maybe, form over function.

The sacrifice in terms of handling is a blatant burden, plus all the scrapages that it brings, especially with aftermarket wheels and tyres. I won't even get into the details but I would bet that would be an absolute pig to drive if you were pushing it. Good handling in a K11 is quite a long way from where people think it should be...

If you really do want to run that low you will need an adjustable panhard rod to cater for the lateral rear axle movement. A set of adjustable trailing arms would also help to put the rear wheels back in place and to stop the rear wheels from potentially hitting the front of the arch under extreme loads, (maybe still ok with 15" wheels though). Also it would be good to invest in a castor/camber kit for the front to help put the front back towards where it should be.

I know what you're trying to say about the handling. But it is just your assuption and you've not drove my car, clearly, as it really isn't true in my case. The handeling is much MUCH better than stock, I'm not even close to the limit it will take, I've not understeered with the coilovers on once even when I've tried too, body roll pretty much doesn't exist compared to stock and the twitchy feeling with wind resistence has gone too. I'll admit it's not going to be the best and its certainly no race car but its not intended to be one, nor do I use it like one, it's just supposed to be low and nippy around bends without sacraficing too much comfort-which I haven't, which is perfect for me:) Scrapages due to ground clearance only happen if you're going over bumps or uneven ground but is nothing severe, got to be sensible though. Tyre scrapages have only really become apparent with a heavy load or passengers yeasterday, which I do need to get around to fixing before I go shopping again, beer is heavy.

I really can't imagine the rear wheels hitting the front of the arch, if anything the trailing arms would be shorter to stop them from hitting the rear? Not arguing with you mind, you know more about suspension than me, I'm just thinking logically. It does appear they're further forwards in the pic above, but that would be due to the mudflaps that I've removed and which come as standard which the designers would have accounted for I'd have thought. Fronts are about right, they do have more negative camber than stock which inadvertently brings some toe-in, but for road use is fine, and tyre wear is fairly even.

Cheers fellas:D
It's nothing special really.

Josh, what's your car like? I may have seen you around as I'm in and out of sheffield and rotherham all the time, and i'm seeing more young k11 drivers around recently too.

It's so very very good Matt. My favourite micra in the northern hemisphere.

Get some decent pictures up will you!

Pre-face conversion to achieve god status.

Oh you guys:blush::blush:

I'm really not very good at taking photographs so thats why there's no good ones, if I can find a decent location and can borrow a decent camera instead of my phone-cam then I'll get some up. But the amount of people at japfest2 that took pictures of it certainly surprised me though, I saw about 20 taken while I was around, and one person even posed in front of it lol. And the comments made about it was fun to listen into too:wasntme: "It's a Ford Fiesta" "no it's got a Nissan badge" "yeah but its got Ford wheels" / "oh, I actually like that" "err mate, it's a Micra" / "Wow that's low, and they're only 13 inch wheels, Ford too!" :D

Pre-facelift conversion is something that I've wanted to do, but probably wont get done unless I need to replace the whole front end, as it will be quite expensive. super s/sr bumpers £50each, wings £15each, headlights £15each, grill £15, bonnet £40, diy paint job £70, total about £285 which would be better spent elsewhere imo. I do like the f/l front though and it is still keeps growing on me, but just lacks that retroesqueness of the pre f/l that I like.

What are your fav. k11s Mark. (maybe start new thread?)

Has been a while since the last update, not much has happened. Got close to getting a prefacelift conversion done though, as local scrappy had a 'mint looking' SR in and I got quoted at £150 for all body panels, interior and rear disc axle, but it got scrapped the morning after:glare:

Got another 0-60 video the other day, the camera kept falling over, but got one vid where I pointed it back though:
I make that about 9 seconds, to 60 on the dash anyway, from a 4500rpm launch.
[video=youtube;plKOiw4BNsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plKOiw4BNsI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Finally had the time to re-underseal the car. There was an ever increasing amount of surface rust appearing, too much scrape-scrape:wasntme: So I've wire-brushed all I can off and used Waxoyl underseal to redo the chassis rails, floor and sills. Should be good enough too see me through the winter and the next mot, and hopefully the one after, and the one after that too, and so on.
6059376117_4b12852604_z.jpg

I've now also added the Micras original bush that sat underneath the top nut on the rear dampers, as an extra bumpstop on the Corsa dampers, just to help reduce tyre rubbing with additional weight onboard while going over bumps and potholes.
6059376115_2a3a959dc2_z.jpg

Plans for the next couple of weeks are to raise the exhaust about 15mm, to cutdown on scraping -only scrapes in two places I know but I go down them roads everyday- will probably create a custom downpipe to do this, and will replace the mid-cat for a straight pipe or small silencer. Will also try out a couple of custom tailpipe designs too.
Then I may book a day at Autosprint and Franks;)

Here's a recent pic:)

6039286133_7cd7c91fb8_z.jpg

:eek: that must be the lowest k11 in daily use on here matt :grinning:
i ended up fitting 2 x front bumpstops onto my rear corsa shocks mate, so i could even remove both springs and drive it on the bumpstops without tyre fouling

:eek: that must be the lowest k11 in daily use on here matt :grinning:

Use it every day, put on about 250miles a week, goes over speed bumps and down country lanes too:D

Plenty of room to go lower I think, remove front a/r/b, towing hooks and raise the exhaust will make room for another 20-40mm maybe, without too much scraping, only problem would be the sump and gearbox. I'm not going to go any lower though:laugh: what I've got is decent enough to annoy dubbers while still being able to go over speedbumps, perfect.

I've got about 15mm of room before I hit the bumpstop/and tyre at the rear now.
Fronts may go lower tomorrow actually, just for RRG then back to normal with a tad of positive rake.

Here's a couple of pics of it at the Retro Rides Gathering.

6070716648_a6288831f8_z.jpg

6070716654_0d2ffa80b6_z.jpg

More of my pics of RRG in the RRG thread here.

It managed to get some attention even amongst some very cool retro cars. Mostly pointing at the rims. I think all our micras got some attention for our wheels. Frank on his reversed steel rims, shaun on slot mags, jessy on starmags and will with his minilites albeit in his boot. Was a very nice collection.

6070337551_954fde8008_z.jpg

6070337561_97eb19b3ce_z.jpg

Today though I've done some work to the seats. While they're quite comfortable on straights I feel perched ontop of them rather than sat in them, which is not so good in the corners. Plans were to by some supers/sr seats, got offered some for £30 quid but that was the car that got scrapped before I could get them, and I hate paying more than what's been offered before.

So I've taken the drivers seat out and removed some of the foam from the base to help me sit lower and more 'in' the seat rather than on it.
6070678280_743545beff_z.jpg

I've also bent the wings to help raise the bolster. Also did a slightly milder bend on the passengers seat too. after / before
6070678284_ea2bcc682c_z.jpg

And I've added strips of old car carpet between the frame and the foam to build up the bolsters on the side and shoulders of the back.
6070678292_e1f098e200_z.jpg

Result is pretty good, just how they should be imo. I could make them more bucket style by removing more foam but I'll see what the comfort is like on longer trips in these first.

Very good DIY, mate!

Good job mate, and your car is looking particularly awesome, I must say (Y)

Seeing the car in the metal you should be proud of yourself (Y)

Cheers guys. I can't give Thanks out for some reason, so you'll have to settle for some thumbs up
(Y)(Y)(Y)

Hopefully they'll be a few more decent blog worthy updates over the next couple of weeks too regarding functionality and performance. Apperance wise, I think I'm set now, paintworks a bit shoddy though, and I may have a back-up plan for when winter hits hard:eek:

this k11 thats wheels will never ever be seen on another k11, spells unique !

Apart from when superls had them on eh lol. But aye, they're not a straight forward re-drill and I've not seen any of these redrilled for any other car before, nevermind just k11, so unique indeed:D

Have taken the drivers seat out again since the previous update. When I curled the wings before, it raised the bolster but there was too much foam and it raised me up a little.
So last week I used a heat gun and a hammer to curl up the wings further and push them outwards. I've added carpet too to extend and soften those wings. I've also removed more foam to make it lower and replaced some with used carpet to firm up the bolsters too.
6076909093_dc925367c3_z.jpg

Result is pretty good, it has still retained it's comfort but is much more surportive now. The passengers side is still the same as before and it shows when cornering hard:)

Lost some weight today and gained some ground clearence:
6100550920_afdc7af7ea_z.jpg

Exhaust still bangs on bumps if I've got passengers in.

:glare:plans to increase power has now halted, prices have gone up too much since last time I worked it out. To the point where I can buy an Almera GTi, and the insurence on that would be cheaper too. Which is actually what I might do.
I can't afford to run two cars, but the micra will be kept in the family as my mum keeps asking for it, and I'll still have access to it, but it's going to be returning to stock..ish. I'll be keeping the coilovers on it but at about 2-3" higher with stock wheels. I do have the turbo but I budget another £150 to put it on not including remap or insurence, I might keep this as I can see myself coming back to a Micra at some point possibly as a silly 2nd car project.
Not saying I'm leaving the Micra right now, but I just want something that's easier to drive as a daily commuter, the 1.0 needs a right thrashing, which is fun but when covering 60-80 miles a day it has grown old on me. So I'm currently weighing up my options of other cars, maybe a turbo'd 1.3 Micra, Almera GTi, or something else. Money is a big issue at the moment due to the lack of it, but I'm willing to spend if it's going to be worth it :(

Matt don't leave the micra stick a high comp 1.3 in it and that'll keep you happy..... Almeras aren't worth the hassle believe me

Matt don't leave the micra stick a high comp 1.3 in it and that'll keep you happy..... Almeras aren't worth the hassle believe me
It's just doing it that's the problem, I would have done that by now if this was a second car but I need this roadworthy and working. I'm thinking 2.0 Almera as it's fairly similar to the micra but comes with better bhp per ton without any hassle, and I'll see a better return if tuned.

I'll be staying with a micra either way I go, and if it did become a second car it'll be much wilder:)

Now where might one find a nicely screwed together 1.3 turbo micra
Martins aye, but it's too much for me as I have pretty much everything to do something similar allready, I only need another Micra. Just for a similar price I could go bigger and not need it turbo'd. Decisions eh, I'm in now rush, just going to see what turns up.

The result from removing the front a/r/b has been quite good so far. It feels slightly more grippier, as if there's more tyre contact going around corners and over bumpy ground, only negative is the increase in body roll under hard cornering but it's not much and you can't tell at all on regular cornering, so that's good

Got a video the other day, the front o/s wheel makes a metallic scraping noise when rotated, it only makes the noise in one position on each rotation and it's the same with any wheel so I'm assuming it's the brakes. It has been like it for a while, since I've owned the car, but doesn't appear to show any affects or got any louder etc and just appears and acts as normal, apart from the noise. But while I was working there I'd thought I'd record it ask for your opinion.
[video=youtube;U2pq4sgsMrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2pq4sgsMrI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

assuming your pads are ok matt........a foreign object wedged/trapped in the caliper maybe ?
(or is there any horsepoo still there lol :grinning:)

(or is there any horsepoo still there lol :grinning:)

:laugh: there's a spatter of yellow stuff embedded in my fresh underseal :glare:

Plenty of life in the pads from looking at them in situ. I've looked between the discs and calipers and can't see anything, still could be that and I've just missed it. I thought it could be a slightly warped disc, just enough to catch the pads but not enough to cause anything noticeable, braking's fine and doesn't pull to one side and passed MOT twice like it, but just curious.

Caliper making slight contact with wheel weights on the inside?

No it does it with other wheels too, with and without weights, including the 16s which had plenty of room, these 13s have quite a bit of room too actually. And it's just the drivers' side.

:suspect:

Back