mileage is getting lower :/ any ideas?

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
eyy guys I just noticed that since last month I'm getting lower mileage than couple of months ago..

the only thing I can recall doing last is deflating the wheels.. I used to do 169miles on 18Litres Unleaded.. (sry for not talkin in mpg) with the Tires inflated 30-32Psi

around 4 weeks ago I thought of deflating a little the wheels as the ride is soo stiff bumps feel terrible & I literally feel bad when I have my g/f with me, thank god she never complained..

Now I've set the wheels to 23Psi, and I'm getting like miserabbly 140miles on 17.3litres of unleaded..(fuel price risen a little bit too)

I've read on cleaning up the cone filter... It's best to wash it... putting it in warm soapy water...? cos that's what I once did but had trouble drying it up ... eventually had to put it on the car damp but not dripping rest assured.. I'd appreciate your comments and any suggestions guys!

cheers for now!
Ian - Malta

haha ermm i know its probably not the answer but how about fuel prices goin up ??? i know its affected me :) just somthing to think of
or have they stayed the same in malta?

With less pressure in the tyres more rubber is contacting the road, this increases the force needed to move the car along at the same speed, meaning you use more petrol.

With less pressure in the tyres more rubber is contacting the road, this increases the force needed to move the car along at the same speed, meaning you use more petrol.
What he said lol try going back upto 30psi again and live it out for a month and see if its any different. have you actually tested your figures until the engine dies or just guessing its empty because as far as im aware you can get a bit more out of the tank from when the fuel light comes on.
Good Luck (Y)

What he said lol try going back upto 30psi again and live it out for a month and see if its any different. have you actually tested your figures until the engine dies or just guessing its empty because as far as im aware you can get a bit more out of the tank from when the fuel light comes on.
Good Luck (Y)

I am always going a mm or 2 below the red line... I'm guessing I can go farther but can't afford to risk stopping half way to anywhere....and this miserable light has never come on. and I have never driven it till the engine dies..

yesterday I've just dimsantled the cluster and noticed I had a light in the 'fuel light connection' but noticed no switch..

OF course prices have risen up..... I can confirm that fuel prices are one of the most updated figures kept in the country..no matter how old the gas station is.. and I mean OLD gas stations which during overnight the prices voilaa'

If you want a softer ride get softer springs, lowering your tyre pressure will ruin your fuel economy, increase tyre wear and make it handle in a dangerous manner, and increase stopping distance.

My bike manual suggests I put my pressure up by 5psi on the driven wheel if I am riding fast, I guess the same applies to cars.

Ventur sports springs 35mm I just bought them new from retepetsti and had them fitted last october..

IIRC in the driving license it's quoted to have a nominal psi all round from 25-30psi.

the higher the faster car accelerates but the STIFFER the ride gets..I'm running on the red line (fuel) currently and clocking 118miles.. gonna keep running till 140er hopefully and inflate them up to 33Psi on next refuel so I can confirm if it's the cause of less mileage as you're saying guys which I think it is.
oo

Also regarding the low fuel light I can confirm that my k11 is the purely base model as it was bought new from grandad if I'm not mistaken the cheapest option available ... no nothing...extras.. :/ damn economy ... in fact in the cluster I had lots of missing bulbs which lit up additional features in the car which obviously base model hadn't. But in the fuel light placement I had a bulb plugged in. Also I can scan a copy from the car manual that grandad found recently of the car which shows that all models should have the fuel light ... A scan would help ?

nissan recommeds 2.2 bar (F), 1.9 bar (R) in 13" rims, and 2.3 bar(F) 2.0 bar (R) in 14".

Also running your tyrea at lowerpressures increases the effort needed to turn the steering, not to mention giving them a shorter wear life and possibly damaging the sidewalls

Also regarding the low fuel light I can confirm that my k11 is the purely base model as it was bought new from grandad if I'm not mistaken the cheapest option available ... no nothing...extras.. :/ damn economy ... in fact in the cluster I had lots of missing bulbs which lit up additional features in the car which obviously base model hadn't. But in the fuel light placement I had a bulb plugged in. Also I can scan a copy from the car manual that grandad found recently of the car which shows that all models should have the fuel light ... A scan would help ?

it sounds like your springs are too firm (thats why i fitted the matiz ones to mine)
and mine has no low fuel light too, almera,s have an extra little sender for the light (circled in red) http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1355/sender.jpg maybe ours are the same ?

sidewall max spec manny (46 iirc :eek:)

This has reminded me, I need to check mine. I was told once by a learned old sage that 10% under maximum was good for keeping the economy up with a safety margin. It certainly made a huge difference with my old merc.

I think the binding brake caliper fixed the other day has had more effect on my micras recent fuel economy than the tyre presures.

Back