I'm Getting Moaned at...... Misse's Micra is using Loads of Petrol!

J

jonnogti

Hi There,

Great forum by the way.

My Girlfriend has a 1994 micra 1.3 with 114K on the clock, its a sweet little runner and never uses a drop of oil from one service to the next. all in all a brilliant little car.

Problem is its gradually started using quite a bit of fuel, infact nearly double to what it used to, so it's resulting in me getting a ear bending of her and quotes of 'can you PLEASE sort my car out'

its running castrol 10/40 synthetic oil which is only 2K old
New airfilter 500 miles ago and fuel filter
checked for binding on all wheels and changed gearbox oil

everything seems fine and as I say its a cracking runner, I'm really at my wits end with it. A guy thinks it could be the Lambda and the cat in the manifold

what do you guys think.......... please help???

Thanks guys your great

Jonno

if you're concerned about the lambda and cat, get emmisions checked at an mot garage. it'd show if they was working right. i think.

What fuel economy are you getting?

If you wip your sparks out and there black then your running rich. Most likely can be tracked back to one of the sensors not working properly. If you have a voltmeter check all the sensor on both cold and heated engines, when i find my haynes i can post the voltages you need to be looking for.

Check the exhaust system for cracks and see if its blowing (standard manifold is the worst culprit).

Silly one but is your tyre pressure correct.

Finally

sparks, plugs, dizzy and rotor arm will cost around £70 for Nissan but they wont do a massive difference to fuel economy unless they haven't been changed in 4-5 years and the current one's are completely mashed. However they will improve driveability and throttle responce.

Mike

things to check in order

spark plugs if not new already
ignition timing set correct
exhaust leak commonly from centre pipe to back box joint blows
possibly mass air flow sensor
possibly lamba sensor

hi all,

thanks so much for the quick replys,

spark plugs are new, the old ones were a little black- running rich poss

tyre pressures are 31 all round

thinking of it, it was borderline on its emissions last year on the natural idle test, the tester had to rev the arse out of it to get its co down (making the cat hot he said)

Lambda sensor possibly???

Thanks

Jonno

rich? on the plugs is more likely a mass air flow sensor slowing dieing, its about £450 new from nissan or you can go second hand and try to get the lowest milage one as possible, dont waste time re soldering it as it will go faulty any in no time

Back