MickB Micra

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"nice work mick, and good to see you are getting the gripper and lower ratio crown wheel and pinion, should transform the car!

Cheers
Be aware when ordering a Gripper LSD that the default specification is for off-road forest rallys and is therefore a 2-way 45/45 setup with a tonne of preload. A typical FWD setup is 1.5way 40/65.

Also, if you want to retain the standard mechanically driven speedo tell them, as they often send out one without the speedo ring, which would be a pain going all the way to AUS. The ones with speedo ring are a little uneven out of sharp corners due to them having to use an asymetrical clutch pack. Ones without speedo drives are evenly packed as they don't have to narrow the clutch pack housing to suit.

I have a gripper in my old gearbox and honestly, if it ever goes back in the car, it will be sent back to Gripper to be modified to 1.5way with perhaps 40/65 ramp angle and less preload, (personal choice on the preload).

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

"climberjoel WROTE:

"nice work mick, and good to see you are getting the gripper and lower ratio crown wheel and pinion, should transform the car!

Cheers"</div>

Be aware when ordering a Gripper LSD that the default specification is for off-road forest rallys and is therefore a 2-way 45/45 setup with a tonne of preload. A typical FWD setup is 1.5way 40/65.

Also, if you want to retain the standard mechanically driven speedo tell them, as they often send out one without the speedo ring, which would be a pain going all the way to AUS. The ones with speedo ring are a little uneven out of sharp corners due to them having to use an asymetrical clutch pack. Ones without speedo drives are evenly packed as they don't have to narrow the clutch pack housing to suit.

I have a gripper in my old gearbox and honestly, if it ever goes back in the car, it will be sent back to Gripper to be modified to 1.5way with perhaps 40/65 ramp angle and less preload, (personal choice on the preload).

Thanks for the advice, the order hasn't been filled yet, I will talk to Matt about it. Deff will have speedo ring!
Does the standard amount of preload throw the car off when it transitions? ie coming out of corners etc. (on tarmac anyway)
I assume you have a plate lsd in your 31v box?
I've sent you a few emails, receiving them? :)

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"SSUK WROTE:

"climberjoel WROTE:

Cheers"</div>

"</div>

Thanks for the advice, the order hasn't been filled yet, I will talk to Matt about it. Deff will have speedo ring!

Does the standard amount of preload throw the car off when it transitions? ie coming out of corners etc. (on tarmac anyway)

I assume you have a plate lsd in your 31v box?

I've sent you a few emails, receiving them? :)

Yeah, just got that mail, (not been checking much recently). I have the viscous LSD in there at the moment, so will see what that's like as a comparison before I do anything else. We're still in build, so it will be a while before I test things out.

The Gripper LSD I have had a huge amount of preload and has always been a pain to drive on the road and yes it's very snappy when coming on and off the throttle, especially out of junctions, (it will easily rip the wheel out of your hands and send you into oncoming traffic if you aren't prepared for it!). On track it's very good however on the road it's pretty horrible with no PAS to be honest. I was still experimenting before the car was stripped down.

I used the recomended Lodexol 80w140 oil and didn't get on with it at all, the diff was very chattery and harsh with it in on it's own and we lost a few bhp too. I now run Redline MT90, which is a 75w90 GL4, so oem spec with some added Redline friction modifier in it and it's a huge improvement. I find without any friction modifier it's very snappy and harsh, the friction modifier just smooths the transition out a little which helps a little out of corners. We also got back the missing power but it's still far from a progressive transition.

Asdame on here also has one but has serviced his and converted it to 1.5way, so it would be great for him to post some feedback, as I know we both found the original diff spec pretty hardcore ;)

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Cool, thanks for the tips. Surprised you don't run PAS, I have deff noticed the reduction in feel with it, but I would have thought the advantages outweigh that?
I saw something from Asdame a while back saying how it kept loosening off the shaft bolts due to it chattering so much.

Will be using Redline for sure, I have used a few of there products before with good results.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
OK small update, back in Melbourne for the weekend, car has been on stands for weeks while I was away. Few bits and pieces turned up..
Nismo race exhaust - not a thing of beauty, I'm sure it will do the trick though.
Swift helper springs - my rear springs would be loose by 30mm or so, not enough to drop out, but these mini springs will keep them in place.
Power steering pump (thank Dens!) will replace it tomorrow.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Update of sorts..

Passed roadworthy, after days of hard work and half the purchase price of the LX spent, and as it happens I am moving to WA, but it is easy to transfer without RW I've heard.

O/S valves are off the list, too much coin for what I am looking at getting from the car - ie money better spent elsewhere (trackdays etc)

I am shipping all my furniture/other car over in a container to Perth, and being that I have 6 days with nowhere (or no furniture) to live, I am going to drive the micra over, should be a laugh.

Swapping in the coilovers tonight, as the car has been sitting in roadworthy spec for 5 weeks since I have been interstate.

Very keen to get the gearbox sorted as soon as I am over there, if anyone has recommendations for that kind of work in Perth I am all ears. Will be interesting to see the top speed / highway cruising speed with the 5.1 CWP installed.

Any of the guys in Melbourne, I have a fair few spares that I would rather offload than take/throw, give me a call if you are around the next few days.
Cheers.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
SSUK - as for the LSD, spoke with Matt in length, ended up getting gripper to sort it into a 1.5way that was preset for tarmac. Although in doing so loose the speedo drive capabilities, but that isn't such an issue. I will give you an update when installed.

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
Hope the perth move goes well Mick, and i'm sure the drive will be interesting! although I recommend you take ear plugs, makes the NVH like a normal car :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the gripper and cwp turns out, good on you for going for it

p.s. now you can do the QUIT Targa West ;)

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Thanks Joel, drive should be good, just got a new set of street tyres R1Rs on my backup wheels as the semis would be stuffed doing that trip.
Gripper and cwp should be interesting, at least up to 120km/hr :)
Targa west. I'll look it up!

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
my r1r's get chopped up from even street driving, they seem to angular/sharp edged - but they are grippy!

I'm a little upset that you are moving to perth tho - makes meeting up at the track even harder!

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Geez, you go from Brisbane to Melbounre now to Perth, hope it's work related and more money?

But I want to see pics of this thing :)

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
hey Mick & SSUK
I only just noticed this thread tday and shoulda known way back :/ soz

anyway. yeah my gripper diff that matt humphris sent was originally a 2-way 45/45 single sided clutchpack with speedo and high preload. running PAS helps.

when i first ran it, it was soo aggressive on road. cos of the offset clutchpack its kinda bias between left/right tight turns and will try to turn tighter into a corner when exiting a t-junc hard.
steering much heavier. the ramp engagement was very much either 100% on or suddenly 0% off and was a shock if you slowly reduce torque midcorner, it would snap release to open-diff with a bang!

running the suggested morris oil, when the plates slide it was embarrasingly loud chatter especially around london :/

the chatter was so loud and so violent it would gradually loosen the LH driveshaft nut like an impact drive and wreck the LH wheel bearing. so definately locktight those nuts.

the chatter eventually weakened after afew trackdays and preload dropped to zero. thought it'd bedded in when in fact the old style brittle preload ring has completely shattered into many bits thus no preload and easier corner transition.

check blog
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-50

now the lsd has been rebuilt as a 1.5way 40/60 ramp with the new tougher preload ring and is so much better & consistant now. still using morris oil but there's no chatter at all, maybe the plates bedded in?

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
RTK WROTE:

"Geez, you go from Brisbane to Melbounre now to Perth, hope it's work related and more money?

But I want to see pics of this thing :)

Last 6 months I have been away from home (interstate), for just under 5 months.
Yes work related, and a change is needed.
I'll post some pics, not that there is much to see, later on today.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Minor update, haven't been doing too much on cars since moving, also trying not to spend too much coin until I have steady work coming in.

Fitted rose-jointed trailing arms, control arm brace, fixed snapped rear swaybar mount, fitted solid front engine mount, and just stripped the engine bay of wiring/battery/non-essentials for a tuck and relocation.
The trailing arms took a little bit of playing around, I was thinking the rear shocks were bottoming out (by the noise/feel of the rear end), it was simply the lack of flex (having no rubber mounts) on the trailing arms restricting almost any movement. Got them sorted but will need an alignment soon.
Took the car for a decent drive (probably haven't put 100 kms on it since buying this one) was good to get it out of the garage and flog the **** out of it. Rear end feels very planted now, albiet noisy as hell with the rose-joints moving back and forth.

Keen to get out and do a few events, any Perth micra owners gtting out and having a go?

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Joel - not as yet, slightly apprehensive about top speed with the cwp. Certainly need to get the worked head/cams in so that I can have a bit more hp. I'm going to a transmission shop tomorrow to see if they are keen..

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Slight update:
Dropped the gearbox off to be rebuilt + LSD + CWP to be installed.

At a guess with the CWP/15" wheels top would be about 160km/h.
Should get there quick though!

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
OZChris WROTE:

"Gentle reminder to post some pics :)

Yeah sorry been busy as (plus the battery was flat when I went to bring it out for some photos)

I had a half day off work this week which allowed me a little time on this - see pic

Removed intake/exh/head
New timing gear in.
I also matched some OEM valves that suit what I need (slightly bigger, 2mm longer, etc)
Head is at the shop being cleaned and skimmed.

If I'm lucky I will spend a few hours on it tomorrow as well.

Attachments

• 80755.jpg
    80755.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 33

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Cool, nice to see some progress :)

Our bottom end is now together. The rest should come together quite quickly now since everything has now arrived :)

Ended up with a billet cam, as the OEM cast blanks did not have enough material to get the lift we wanted without compromising and reducing the base circle.

Attachments

• 80756.jpg
    80756.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 33

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Small Update,
head is back at home, just doing a bit of prep with the carb manifold,
nee to tap in some vac fittings o each runner.

Attachments

• 80937.jpg
    80937.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 37
Back