BALL TEARER NA CG13

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
As the title says, i want to build a ball tearing cg13. I dont want to turbocharge the engine as i dont really want to lose too much ecconomy. I dont have my cg13 yet nor my micra for that matter, but because of the cost of parts for these little cars, i am becomming more and more excited! compared to the rb26 theyre really cheap! i would like the input of fellow members as to what or why things should be done. If you could speak from personal experience that would be even better. for example, dont use a 4 inch exhaust on the micra because the wheels wouldnt touch the ground etc....
here are some of the things i have planned,

TOMEI PROCAMS
INTAKE 256DEG 8.35MM LIFT
EXHAUST 256DEG 8.35MM LIFT
(ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?) DO I NEED TO CHANGE SPRINGS AND RETAINERS? NOT MULHOLLAND CAMS COS I CANT GET THEM.

IMPUL EXHAUST MANIFOLD
(ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?)

Exhaust system
suggestions please! something not too loud!

Air filter kit (pod style)
Brands and reccomendations please

NISMO CLUTCH DISK AND COVER
JUN FLYWHEEL

JUN RETAINERS?
(IS IT NECESSARY?)

TOMEI METAL HEAD GASKET
ø72.7 BORE
0.7mm THICKNESS
GROMMET TYPE

OR

NISMO METAL HEAD GASKET
0.5 OR 0.6MM THICK
RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!

FORGED CONNECTING RODS
(DONT KNOW OF ANY JAPANESE TUNING HOUSES THAT MAKE THEM) CAN ANYONE SUGGEST SOMETHING LOCAL OR AMERICAN? PRICES? WHERE TO GET? NOT TOO EXPENSIVE PLEASE! IE CARILLO H-BEAM ARE OUT.

FORGED PISTONS
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY LOCAL OR AMERICAN BRANDS? NOT TOO EXPENSIVE PLEASE. PRICES? WHERE TO GET? COSWORTH ARE OUT!

HEADWORK PORT AND POLISH (WHERE TO GO IN BRISSY/GOLD COAST AREA) HOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO PAY?

Also, do i need to do anything for the preparation of crank and block? Is o-ringing like ciscos engine necessary? (how much?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR HANDLING,
Nismo s tune shocks or konis? how much for konis?
can someone suggest spring rates? RG kit is too dear!

Nismo stabilizer kit front and rear or whiteline? (how much for whiteline?)

Pulsar brakes n14sss (how much approximately?)

Nismo steering rack bush kit.

Nismo engine mounts

Nismo lower arm bar

Nismo panhard rod (rosejoint) or bush type

Nismo strengthened rubber bush kit (dont want nolathane)

c's quicshift kit

Thats all i can think of at the moment. of course there are visual enhancements eg body kit etc. but my mind seems to be changing a lot at the moment, and i cant seem to decide. although ive already started to buy the nismo body kit parts, i kinda really want to go flared overfenders. im open to suggestions though. does anyone know what a genuine front super s bar from nissan is worth? any kits that are made locally that are good in quality? as japanese kits are too expensive to ship!

cisco

» CMF Member
Mulholland in Japan make/sell awesome high compression pistons and rods for the CG13DE. Also maybe ASPECT does I think too (also in Japan).

Wouldn't waste your money on a C's shifter, they cost a fortune, there are always cheap ones just as good showing up on ebay - that's what I have. You can get for like $60 even. Its the same shifter that fits the N14/N15 etc. Will have to search for those cars, won't show up usually when searching for the micra.

Nah I don't reckon you would need to o-ring the block.

And definately get yourself a lightweight flywheel - they give a really decent improvement.

Also fuel required is a function of power being made. So if an NA engine and a mild turbo both made say 160ps, they would need the same amount of fuel. My turbo is pretty efficient when you don't boost it hard. The real fluctuations are how turbo's usually tend to run rich under high boost for safety and NAs can be tuned to be a smidgen lean for more power. A turbo will produce bucketloads more torque than an NA engine, but still yeah totally depends on what you are after. I've always loved NA for its sound and raw revs/power.

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
damn! i just bought my c's shifter. paid 14000yen for it! about 160 bucks! hmmm... i was thinking, if i bought a jun flywheel, would the nismo plate and pressureplate just mate up perfectly? do you suggest anything else?

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh that's allright - you can never win with everything. Its still a good shifter dude :)

Yeah the NISMO clutch will definately bolt straight up to the JUN no worries. Errol in Melbourne also makes alloy lightweight flywheels which are only like 3.4Kg. They are an alloy composite design with an existing ring gear shrunk onto them. Depends on what you want.

CMF_~~SME~~

» CMF Member
Hi mate,

Don't know if you have looked at this already but errol from datrats has forged pistons and rods maybe they are worth a look for your car I think some of the guys on here are using them maybe they can give you some feedback. Also I think someone mentioned the errol was building an n/a micra up also this could be another valuable resource for you for some information on some do's and dont's that he's already come accross. As far as high flowing and porting you may have noticed that I am selling a hi-flowed and ported cg13 head at the moment, this item is still for sale at $500 I don't know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for or you may prefer having it done urself either way it's still there if your interested.

cisco

» CMF Member
The gear errol is selling are forgies which lower the compression of the engine. No good for NA. They are forced induction gear. Likewise the rods are super thick strong ones. Both are mated, so the pistons are 2mm taller for strength and the rods are 2mm shorter.

These would give your engine lots more strength, but actually cost you power from the lower compression and extra weight.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that.

Errol can virtually make up anything at all that you're after. Give him a buzz, I think he loves little projects like this. Some aussie made high revving NA internals are just what he needs to add to his micra parts range!

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
the rods and pistons look really good. however, isnt it a bit dear? those rods and pistons price are about the same price for a six cylinder rb26! i know because i just bought a set for my friend! crower rods, and cp pistons. pistons were actually cheaper (1100)! does anyone have the specs needed to make a set? if i did something in forged but to the factory specs would it be enough? or something of a different design?

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
i guess that might be true. cisco do you have the links for the makers that do them in japan? rods and pistons? what is their main focus? turbo or na? does anyone have have any information for the march cup cars? did they run 4 wheel discs? things found in the super s? abs etc?

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
and...

Exhaust Manifold > not sure what an impul manifold is worth or its performance, but get price on a custom 4-1 extractors or 4-2-1's (on the melbourne dyno page there's a good writeup by cisco about which extractors are better up top for maxxium power and which are better mid-range)

Exhaust > for NA i'm thinking no more than 2" mandrel, 2" press should be fine, but maybe discuss this with an exhaust guy you who has experience on small displacement 4cyl engines, not sure if your going for 90-100HP or all out 150-160HP, with a 10'000rpm crank and all?

Nismo Clutch disc and cover > FYI Errol's 190mm HD clutches are $319 (micra only 180mm)

-----------------------------------

Handling

For sake of ease of getting replacments or spares/repairs maybe try to stick with aussie stuff.

for "general pricing" on any whiteline gear and koni's - without bugging your local dealer, go to the whiteline webstore https://www.whiteline.com.au/store/ (all prices are without GST soo you need to add 10%) and search the partnumber below. compare these prices/specs to the nismo bits.

*please note all the prices below are now incorrect, i left them there to save you looking up every sinlge one, all have gone up around 5-10%. I got this list from a word .doc i used when doing up a priclist for my car earlier this year:

1303312 x2 Koni Adj F/Dampers $263.64ea
1102812 x2 Koni Ext Adj R/Dampers $160.91ea

70140 42mm lowered H/Duty Coil Spring Pair $153.64
70142 42mm lowered H/Duty Coil Spring Pair $153.64
W0922 20MM Bump Stops $47.27

KPR025 Adjustable Panhard Rod $106.73

KSB605 Adjustable Front Strut Brace $194.55
KSB708 Lower Control Arm Brace $117.27

BNF31 Front Swaybar HD $207.27
BNR29XZ Rear Swaybar HD $207.27
KLC40-090 Pair of Rear Spherical DropLinks $???
KCA373 Castor/Anti-Lift $102.09
*Provides extra +1.0deg static castor and significant amount of anti-lift
KCA412 Camber Bolts $75.36

KTA114 Rear Trailing Arms $244.82

However if you want to order anything, i suggest you go to a whiteline dealer, but AFAIK you still can buy with creditcard through the store. Frankly their lack of customer service for reatil customers is a shame for such an excellnt product they sell, autobarn can get their gear in.

-------------------------------------------

Things that make significant improvement:

Rear SwayBar (biggest difference, is a must)
Front SwayBar
Anti-Lift/Castor
Camber Bolts

Things that continue to improve but less astonomically:

Upper Adj Strut Brace
Lower Strut Brace
Rear Trailing Arms

------------------------------------------

Then choose your springs and shocks. ON this note, make sure you decide on your final alloy/tire combination/size before you pick your ride height, unless you get height adj coilovers. As putting big wheels on will raise the car substantually due to the tiny std size. Use this > http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html and look at the changed diameter, divide that by two and thats how much higher/lower it will sit.

personally i find the Koni's are fantastic, and i only have them on the front as yet. (They are with king springs). I find the Kings aren't low enough for me, but if i had 13" std rims i wouldn't want any lower.

my suggest >

Koni's with 42mm lowered Whiteline Springs or custom KMAC's (50mm lower maybe?), std shocks wont cut it.

or

Height adj coilovers with hard/soft damper adjustment

NOT forgetting that required Panhard Rod when lowering

Pulsar Brakes either: (need 14" wheels or bigger to fit these inside without grinding the calipers)
N14 1.6 - 16mm vented discs
N14 2.0 - 18mm Vented discs

Price > can usually pick them up off www.pulsar.org.au classfields for $80-100 from members whom have fitted GTI-R/N15SSS brakes. If you get them from a wrecker or they have been off the car for awhile > rebuild them, but if their straight off a working vehicle you may get away with just bolting them on, which i did.

Definatly get the Nismo steering rack bush kit, extra steerin feel can't do harm.

same with nismo engine mounts, geniune nissan and OEM mounts are very expensive! solid nismo mounts are a steal in comparison.

Nismo lower arm bar > may aswell get the whiteline lower control arm, unless the nismo one can be had substantially cheaper.

Nismo panhard rod > may aswell get the whiteline panhard rod, unless the nismo one can be had substantially cheaper.

get the rubber bush kit if you whish > i assume thats for the upper/lower rear trailing arms and front control arms? wont have marked improvement, but makes car tighter/less sloppy

Give nissan a bell on the SuperS bumper,

Alex

Back