MickB Micra

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Hi all,
time for a build thread from me, perhaps if I make a thread about it, I will keep it long enough to enjoy it. I've owned 4 (now 5) micra's - this won't be the last I'm sure.

OK Super S gone, LX is in.

Current spec:
95 LX in white.

Whiteline Swaybars Fr Rr
Whiteline droplinks
Whiteline Panhard rod
Whiteline Castor Kit
BC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs 10kg/9kg
I have many sets of springs, might swap once it is setup.
Disc rear axle
N14 GTIR front brakes
Nology leads
Nismo engine mounts / solid engine mounts/ HD powersteering mounts
HD clutch - will install when GB work gets done
3.6kg Flywheel - will install when GB work gets done
15x6.5 forged gold rims - 195.50.15 Toyo R1R
15x6.5 SSR Forged black rims - 195.50.15 Toyo R888
Nismo rear wing (not sure if I like it, cbf removing though.)
Replacement timing chain
296/280 10mm lift cams
p/p head, HD valve springs, Ti retainers
ARP head studs
N2 0.3mm Head Gasket
Mulholland cam gears

Bits to go on/in progress:

Nismo N1 Exhaust system

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
lol yes I have had it running on a previous incarnation (carbs/these cams) and it was getting around 150kms to a tank. Needless to say thre was a serious vapour in the air!!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"lol yes I have had it running on a previous incarnation (carbs/these cams) and it was getting around 150kms to a tank. Needless to say thre was a serious vapour in the air!!

heh, reminds me of my austin mini with a race 649 genuine cam, and 45 dcoe sticking through the bulkhead and into the cabin (where the speedo used to sit), i had a job to see where i was going, with my eyes smarting lol

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
sounds awesome Mick. White K11's ftw. What wheels are you preparing for it?

Also this time round can you please actually post the vid of your k11 running on carbs so we can hear it? I remember you saying you would with your last one, and waiting patiently for you to deliver...

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
you mention you have an ebay short shifter but will be removing it.

Any particular reason for removing ?

Using Motorbike carbs

Any particular reason/s for using them ? Are they Bogg bros/R1 Carbs ?

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
penpusher WROTE:

"you mention you have an ebay short shifter but will be removing it.

Using Motorbike carbs

He probably doesn't like the fell, and he probably using motorbike carbies for an awesome induction noise as well as a performance aspect! He has done it all before, search mickeybbb/Mickb and it will come up with what he has said and done, i have found it once before

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
penpusher WROTE:

"you mention you have an ebay short shifter but will be removing it.

Using Motorbike carbs

Short-shifter - The synchros feel mashed on this gearbox, so removing the shortshifter might prolong the life of it a bit.
I'm assuming it is an ebay one, doesn't look like a C's shifter, but not stock.

Bike carbs.. Although not being road legal, they give excellent bang for buck. As I have had a swag of bikes before, the tuning side of them is easy for me, plus less I have to pay someone else for.

The manifold is very well made, could have been a bogg brothers creation (looks like their work), but I bought it from another fellow who raced a CG10 micra in rally etc.

And it is a set of carbs off a honda, although an R1 set would also do the job.

I will dig up a pic of the manifold..

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Manifold

Attachments

• 75752.jpg
    75752.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

Need to make a plastic window for it.

mine on the blue car was just a square sheet bonded from underneath mick, it left a 5mm step that would pool rain in one of the corners, but it never leaked.
nice looking mani :)
and i had my 280 cam recut to 260 (twas cheap coz he only had to take a lick off the sides eh) how about fitting the 280 in the inlet and having the 290 reground to 270 or whatever for the exhaust ?

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Yes it will be something along those lines, perspex/something cut and fixed in.
Yeah I don't really want to cut these cams, they are billet. I have quite a cheap quote to get spray welded ones made, I will mess with the copies. I only used them in the 280 int 296 ex, setup. I will try them in the other way and see how they go. (both are cut for dizzy input)

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
We'll be doing the same thing on the car once it's back, as sunroof was binned in favour of a cage.

We'll be taking a sheet of aluminum though, joggling it so it sits in the sunroof cutout recess. Get it anodized and bond it in with high modulus silicone sealer, (don't want that thing coming unstuck at 200km/h+).

Cams like those will be good for some serious power and rpm given a good head job and enough compression. They look like cast rather than straight billet though. I don't have my blanks to hand but I don't remember them having that much meat on them though. Wonder what the valve lift will be at true engine TDC.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

Wonder what the valve lift will be at true engine TDC.

going by the analysis chart mick posted up, there is about 150" thou lift @110 deg from peak lift.
so if he sets the centreline @ 110 deg atdc, then all 4 valves should be open about 3 to 3.5 mm @TDC eh :eek:

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"SSUK WROTE:

Wonder what the valve lift will be at true engine TDC."</div>

going by the analysis chart mick posted up, there is about 150" thou lift @110 deg from peak lift.

so if he sets the centreline @ 110 deg atdc, then all 4 valves should be open about 3 to 3.5 mm @TDC eh :eek:

Bah, I couldn't find the thread where the deets were located.

That's plenty of lift @TDC, will give lousy idle and give the low end some beating but once up on cam that should go like a #### :eek:P

I don't know what profile we ended up at on the last simulations but we are having a real problem with the follower/spring combo so that things will stay together at max rpm.

How oversize on the valves are you planning on going....+1mm? as the stock head is quite shrouded from the factory.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
They do give a very rough idle, but I like it :)
When I had them in before I didn't give too much thought to valvetrain damage, springs/followers were all stock, no doubt there was valve float. They were still making power well over 10k rpm (due to cold tyres/light flywheel I did give it 15k rpm accidentally a few times..), although it was lucky I didn't do any serious damage.

O/S valves will prob be less than +1mm, bugger all space in there really.

With stock pistons and rods, (stock stroke) 9500rpm is the highest that you should go - according to piston speed calculations anyway. Really need to time the cams to bring the power down as far as possible.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Haha, that would be one wacky setup!

FYI, we have finished simulations and have ended up pretty close to that selection. The limitations were down to working with the 30mm lifter size, the availability of an off the shelf spring and what was possible to be ground from a genuine Nissan cam blank.

One more step closer to completion....

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:

"Haha, that would be one wacky setup!

FYI, we have finished simulations and have ended up pretty close to that selection. The limitations were down to working with the 30mm lifter size, the availability of an off the shelf spring and what was possible to be ground from a genuine Nissan cam blank.

One more step closer to completion....

Link to your build thread? :)

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Small update,
Will be changing front cross-member in the next week or so,
Need rego before real works will happen :)
Just got a valve spring remover kit in the mail, one that bolts to the head, makes it a load easier.

Sorted surge tank and pump, carbs in the next installment.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Pics pics pics :D

And I removed my valve springs Different to that, got my ass kicked at tafe cause I didn't do it with the tool haha and different way to put them back

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"SSUK WROTE:

Link to your build thread? :)

I don't have one, never bothered to start one on the MSC due to the general consensus. Big build/big budget stuff is a bit wasted to be honest, as anyone who spends more on a car than it cost to buy is often frowned upon.

I'm sure you guys would dig it though but living in Norway with the car in England also means I can't just snap away and give thorough updates.

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
I'm sure you guys would dig it though

big build/big budget (and big thought!) builds are always appreciated! I understand the logistical issues though, just make sure you get pics up when its running! :)

mick, do you need to change the front member for rego? is it rotten?

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"

I'm sure you guys would dig it though "</div>

big build/big budget (and big thought!) builds are always appreciated! I understand the logistical issues though, just make sure you get pics up when its running! :)

I figured as much, with people like TMRS and Kovert offering up some quality builds, it kinda sets the standard across the water ;)

The only photos I have at the moment are located on the below link on post number #48, which shows the modified back bulkhead to make more room for the throttle bodies and airbox. There is barely 20mm between runners 3&4 and the bulkhead as standard and coupled with no cold air feed it doesn't bode well for good power potential.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/skinners-sprint-micra.47481/#post-511861

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"RTK WROTE:

"Pics pics pics :D

And I removed my valve springs Different to that, got my ass kicked at tafe cause I didn't do it with the tool haha and different way to put them back"</div>

Yeah I have a big c-clamp remover, but with small heads it does damage/not so easy.

The kit I have is like..

<a href="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Vw-A...tors_Automotive_Tools&amp;hash=item5892969e9a" title="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Vw-A...tors_Automotive_Tools&amp;hash=item5892969e9a" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Vw-A...tors_Automotive_Tools&amp;hash=item5892969e9a</a>

That looks awesome will invest in that, when I get a pay rise :D

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"

I'm sure you guys would dig it though "</div>

Don't have to, the effort to repair it is almost the same as replacing it, not keen on dodging it up with bog when they are cheap to buy.

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Update:
Just bought a Nismo N1 Exhaust complete, strangely enough it is new, just been in storage for years. My mani/exh is good, but not really tuned length, this will allow me more up top.

Certainly will be loud!

Attachments

• 76074.jpg
    76074.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 39

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"SSUK WROTE:

"I think deafening maybe more appropriate lol! "</div>

Yes I agree.

I keep sending you PMs, not getting them?

I got them, my spam filter was at work. Added you to my contacts list now, so they will arrive now :)

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Update:
Shell is rotten (realistically not that bad, but the time/effort to fix it - cbf), will be parting it out, going to check out a few lx's today.

Also if someone is keen on a mulholland 7pt cage - $500 and its yours.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"Update:

Shell is rotten (realistically not that bad, but the time/effort to fix it - cbf), will be parting it out, going to check out a few lx's today.

Also if someone is keen on a mulholland 7pt cage - $500 and its yours.

**** that's cheap for that cage :O

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Cage sold pending payment.
Just drove my lx home! Must be a series 2, interior is different.

Weird to drive a micra with power-steering, definitely less feel.
Friday to swap over suspension/engine mounts etc
Roadworthy and rego early next week, then it will begin.

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
You running door trims on it? I'll take em if not.

Saw that exhaust on yahoo and thought fk that looks old hahaha good buy

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Mickb WROTE:

"Cage sold pending payment.

Just drove my lx home! Must be a series 2, interior is different.

Weird to drive a micra with power-steering, definitely less feel.

Friday to swap over suspension/engine mounts etc

Roadworthy and rego early next week, then it will begin.

Busy weekend ahead mick :D

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
OK update..
Suspension, disc axle, new front brakes all in.
If the weather comes good will remove engine/gb from super S and changeover mounts, bleed brakes, and take it for a mountain run.
Glad to be back at work tomorrow, had well enough of cars for a weekend.

Back