Maximum power a MA10S can take?

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
Hey guys,
I have a serious question, does somebody know how much power the engine, the gearbox and the clutch is able to take?
I want to know, because I think I will brake the 90hp this summer and I don't want to kill my stock engine block.

At the moment I am driving my car with a stock cylinder head (except the polished ports) and only my twin 36dcnf webers and a custom exhaust manifold. (The webers are not installed at the moment, because they have only a manuel choke and I can't use the power on the icy roads ;) )

But I am working on a new cylinderhead which will be skimmed, with a new 304° camshaft and bigger valves and flow optimized ports.

So I would be thankful if somebody knows which power is save without using forged pistons and so on.

I think the biggest problem would be clutch and gearbox as for engine a very uneducated guess 110/120bhp depending on the condition of it

I thought so too, but what are the alternatives?

ST gearbox? Very hard (impossible) to get one for a cheap price

K11 gearbox? Does the k11 gearbox take more power? I think the 1,3 gearbox should be able to take more power, but what about the driveshafts than? They are different to the k10 ones which would be no problem, since I would use the k11 brakes. But what about the lenghts of the driveshafts? They are longer I guess and I don't think the German TÜV wants to see cut and welded driveshafts.

Or leave the gearbox and use a stronger clutch and see if the gearbox can handle it, but where so get a stronger clutch for the K10?

As far as the gearbox is concerned the k10 one will be useless, pre 98 1.0 will handle around 100bhp and the 1.3 I have no idea about the drive shaft problems.

I know frank made a hybrid 1.0 clutch but I'm not sure what I could handle

the limit is the size of the 1.0 clutch, best of trying to fit a k11 1.3 g/box and maybe one of those helix clutches or whatever they are lol pretty much no limit then!

I know frank made a hybrid 1.0 clutch but I'm not sure what I could handle

we shall see soon :grinning: (new f/w lightened and balanced for it today)

Attachments

• SDC11769.JPG
    SDC11769.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 544
the limit is the size of the 1.0 clutch, best of trying to fit a k11 1.3 g/box and maybe one of those helix clutches or whatever they are lol pretty much no limit then!

That was my idea too, but what about the 1.3 driveshafts? They are different to the k10 ones.

I think they are the same length as k10? The ends are different so don't fit the k10 hubs!
Is there a reason you are staying 1000cc? If not I'd just save the money your spending on building the motor and get a bigger engine, or turbo charge it

I think they are the same length as k10? The ends are different so don't fit the k10 hubs!
Is there a reason you are staying 1000cc? If not I'd just save the money your spending on building the motor and get a bigger engine, or turbo charge it
I know the difference with the ends, I would fit the K11 hubs aswell.

The reason to stay with the ma10 is the German TÜV, to put a bigger engine in and get it legal you need a certificate that the body can stand the power of a bigger engine.
And this would cost a fortune, because Nissan will not hand out such a certificate (Opel (Vauxhall) and VW do this for example)

Hi GT,
I have a 1.0 standard 52 plate micra with only 50k miles on it, toyed with the idea of getting a bigger engine in it for a giggle but as its only done 50k miles I think a turbo would do the trick maybe, like you've suggested here? Is it a fairly straight forward job for a mechanic to do would you know please?
Cheers from bigs

If the engine is not turbo charged then the gearbox and clutch should be fine. The march turbo can wear out the bearings for the input & output shafts, causing the car to judder when setting off from a stop. That's more down to the sudden surge of power from the turbo. A non-turbo engine will deliver power much more smoothly so the box will be quite fine.
We know that Super Turbos can quite easily blow holes in the block, or crack the block, and they have 100BHP - 110BHP. So i would say that 100 would be the limit for the ma10s (given that the ST engine was reduced to 930cc to increase strength).
Don't worry about gearbox or clutch failure alleks, you may end up making a lot more work for yourself than is nessasery. Just drive it and see how it feels first.
(Y)

Hi GT,
I have a 1.0 standard 52 plate micra with only 50k miles on it, toyed with the idea of getting a bigger engine in it for a giggle but as its only done 50k miles I think a turbo would do the trick maybe, like you've suggested here? Is it a fairly straight forward job for a mechanic to do would you know please?
Cheers from bigs

Yeah if you have a low boost set up it's pretty much just a bolt on job, there are plenty who have done it and fairly detailed threads about it on here :)

Don't worry about gearbox or clutch failure alleks, you may end up making a lot more work for yourself than is nessasery. Just drive it and see how it feels first.
(Y)
My gearbox main bearings make noise (btw. easy to repairand cheap if you don't use nissan parts :D it's common that they make noise), my clutch is slipping when I start or change the gears above 4500rpm... this is how it feels :D

Upgrade to a high-pressure performance clutch and you should be fine. Do you have the 4-speed or the 5-speed box? I remember that my old 4-speed used to become stiff after a long trip, it was always difficult to select 2nd & 3rd. I opened it up before i sprapped it, and it turned out to be badly worn bearings. The 5-speed i replaced it with is much smoother.

I have 5 speed, but where do you get the performance clutch from? I don't have the money to get a custom one fabricatet... this is why I wanted to change the gearbox and the hubs --> this would give me a probably stronger gearbox+ clutch + new better brakes. this would be more cost efficient.

You should be able to order them from any good motorfactor shop, just ask about them and even if they don't sell them in their own shop they may be able to tell you where you can get them locally. You can search for performance part companies on the internet too and then send an email enquiry or call in at the shop if they're local. (Y)

Back