• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Mal's K11 TD04 build from Aus

Howdy all, only recently got into the Micra fold when I purchased a 1996 K11 as a cheap runabout to work. My girlfriend has a K12 which made looking for cheap economical cars lead to Micra's ;)
Anyway, its to save this beast and try and look after it better with less km's etc:
2004 Mk4 R32
IMG_8554ED.jpg

So I picked up the Micra, has the JDM cupholder option which I'm told is pretty desireable! Had a cold air intake (well filter sat over the top of the exhaust mani!)Glad it's 5sp manual!
And took a few snaps
IMG_0721copy.jpg

IMG_0717copy.jpg

IMG_0715copy.jpg

IMG_0712copy.jpg

The car has noisey lifters but I wasn't worried initially. Then looking for "where to get Micra spares if..." I came across this site.
The girlfriend moved to Orange so making trips out that way (suited the purchase) I found some goodies outside of Windsor ;)
IMG_0356.jpg

You'll spot a spare CG13DE, manual 5spd gearbox, 2 driveshafts and a set of headers. Spares indeed!
No clutch or flywheel (or flywheel bolts or gearbox bolts so need to acquire those)

I was planning on rebuilding the standard CG as a big of a fun, cheap project (I'm a fitter but normally do Hydraulic work, so was looking forward to some different experience) but have since decided I'll just strap this:
IMG_0419.jpg

onto the space CG13 and see how it goes. It's a TD04L off a WRX 2L and I got it for $100 bucks. I'm doing this as cheapily as possible for sure.
Main objective is decent torque to go over the blue mountains, I dont like revving the freckle out of the little Micra!

I was planning on making a manifold out of the headers and buying flanges for the exhaust mani and dump pipe to suit a TD04, but late on Friday afternoon decided to use the standard cast exhaust mani instead, so went about installing the headers.
-No idea what brand they are?
-Wasn't too hard to install myself, only really required removal of the alternator.
-One stud has no nut on it (the lower right one when looking at the flange from the front of the car as there was no clearance left (even after filing the washer down to fit in there)
-I have plenty of leaks but I decided to do it at 4 o clock on Friday afternoon so haven't replaced the gaskets, will head to an exhaust shop hopefully this friday and get the gaskets replaced.
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

All fitted up
IMG_0426.jpg

Flanges have been ordered and should be here this week so I can start planning this build.

I'll keep searching and try and find a good option but if anyone reads this and has some suggestions on the following, glad to listen:
- replacement injectors (OEM replacement SR20 DE/DET??)
- adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
- ECU tuning (e-manage/stinger/nistune/any tricks to not need ECU stuff?)
-boost limit on standard (used) motor? planning on 6-8 psi and good mid range, not outright horsepower
-type of intercooler setup??
My intercooler idea was to get an RX7/S chassis Nissan/GTIR cooler and mount it next to the radiator. Point the compressor outlet down and do a 180 degree turn into the bottom of the cooler, hen out of the top of the cooler over the motor into the throttle body, but am open to suggestions.
Cheers, Mal

I'm aiming for about 80-90 front wheel kilowatt, so max 130 wheel horsepower.
Though, I only plan on running 8-10 psi, that's more important than outright power figure. The added torque of the turbo is what won it for me over the SR20DE conversion.

Really the only thing doing my head in is squirters.
Really want to avoid custom fuel rails to fit SR injectors, so I suppose that also helps limit me to 8-10 psi on the TD04.

I know GA16 injectors fit, so high flow them and might just use them for what they are good for and leave it at that. Unless there are other suggestions?

Oh, and my flanges still haven't shown up yet :(

Got all the knowledgable guys in here helping, cheers!

Brilliant, I want a streetable package so minimal lag is what I'm after. Just secured an S13 Silvia side mount intercooler which looks like it should be perfect!

Will PM kovert and see what he has going as fair as rails and injectors, cheers for that also.

Stinger ECU is ~ 1500? + wiring and then tuning I'd imagine.

Really liking making "progress" with this. All up I'm estimating to boost this will cost the same as my R32 exhaust (Milltek full system) so making me happy atm haha!

Is Nistune worth it?

Have got mates with goold results on pulsars (one is a N15 SSS with a U13 SR20DET and GT2871R, just made 190 @ 16psi injectors max duty cycle, the other one has an N15 SSS with SR20VE and hybrid cams (20V low lobe, N1 high lobe, not dyno'd/tuned yet but it goes pretty darned well and seems like tuners like to use it)

The K11 and K12 side by side haha
IMG_0442.jpg

Sorry about the massive post bomb, I'm in aus so micra.com.au is where I have been getting a lot of my information as it's "Aus specific", though Frank is on there and had advised me to chat with Stani, so I ended up on here.

Just figured I'd share where I am at in case anyone else was going this way, can compare between Stani's and my build. His will be pushing it further though, I expect.

Cheers

glad you like it so far.
eh can't wait to see the result, think it will just make it more fun, wont actually be a quick car lol.

I/C
IMG_0453.jpg

Turbo mani and turbo to fit in here
IMG_0454.jpg

Needed a tacho so got this
02042012222.jpg

Alrighty from Kunigawa turbo:
-Turbo Inlet & Outlet Flange SUBARU EJ20 EJ25 TD05H VF34 Single Scroll Turbo’s Flange Set
-Turbo Oil Water Install Kit SUBARU EJ20 TF035HM TD04L
TurboorderSR20DETinjectors.jpg

Can also see some SR20DET injectors :)
And the NISMO clocks showed up too!
NISMOclocks.jpg

Now to sort out wiring diagrams and get it all working....

Back