Mal's K11 + TD04 build

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
Howdy all, only recently got into the Micra fold when I purchased a 1996 K11 as a cheap runabout to work. My girlfriend has a K12 which made looking for cheap economical cars lead to Micra's ;)

Anyway, its to save this beast and try and look after it better with less km's etc:

2004 Mk4 R32
IMG_8554ED.jpg

So I picked up the Micra, has the JDM cupholder option which I'm told is pretty desireable! Had a cold air intake (well filter sat over the top of the exhaust mani!)Glad it's 5sp manual!

And took a few snaps

IMG_0721copy.jpg

IMG_0717copy.jpg

IMG_0715copy.jpg

IMG_0712copy.jpg

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
The car has noisey lifters but I wasn't worried initially. Then looking for "where to get Micra spares if..." I came across this site.

The girlfriend moved to Orange so making trips out that way (suited the purchase) I found some goodies outside of Windsor ;)

IMG_0356.jpg

You'll spot a spare CG13DE, manual 5spd gearbox, 2 driveshafts and a set of headers. Spares indeed!

No clutch or flywheel (or flywheel bolts or gearbox bolts so need to acquire those)

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
I was planning on rebuilding the standard CG as a big of a fun, cheap project (I'm a fitter but normally do Hydraulic work, so was looking forward to some different experience) but have since decided I'll just strap this:

IMG_0419.jpg

onto the space CG13 and see how it goes. It's a TD04L off a WRX 2L and I got it for $100 bucks. I'm doing this as cheapily as possible for sure.

Main objective is decent torque to go over the blue mountains, I dont like revving the freckle out of the little Micra!

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
I was planning on making a manifold out of the headers and buying flanges for the exhaust mani and dump pipe to suit a TD04, but late on Friday afternoon decided to use the standard cast exhaust mani instead, so went about installing the headers.

-No idea what brand they are?
-Wasn't too hard to install myself, only really required removal of the alternator.
-One stud has no nut on it (the lower right one when looking at the flange from the front of the car as there was no clearance left (even after filing the washer down to fit in there)
-I have plenty of leaks but I decided to do it at 4 o clock on Friday afternoon so haven't replaced the gaskets, will head to an exhaust shop hopefully this friday and get the gaskets replaced.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

All fitted up

IMG_0426.jpg

Flanges have been ordered and should be here this week so I can start planning this build.

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
I'll keep searching and try and find a good option but if anyone reads this and has some suggestions on the following, glad to listen:

- replacement injectors (OEM replacement SR20 DE/DET??)
- adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
- ECU tuning (e-manage/stinger/nistune/any tricks to not need ECU stuff?)
-boost limit on standard (used) motor? planning on 6-8 psi and good mid range, not outright horsepower
-type of intercooler setup??

My intercooler idea was to get an RX7/S chassis Nissan/GTIR cooler and mount it next to the radiator. Point the compressor outlet down and do a 180 degree turn into the bottom of the cooler, hen out of the top of the cooler over the motor into the throttle body, but am open to suggestions.

Cheers, Mal

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
schoona WROTE:

Reckon it will be too big?

ta :)
my n/a cammed 1311 had about 45hp @ 3k and 109hp @ 7k, this current GT15 gives about 90hp @ 3k and the same 110 ish @ 7k
i guess a TD04 will give far more top-end (similar to asdame,s 165hp) but will take a bit longer to spool eh

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"schoona WROTE:

Reckon it will be too big?"</div>

ta :)

my n/a cammed 1311 had about 45hp @ 3k and 109hp @ 7k, this current GT15 gives about 90hp @ 3k and the same 110 ish @ 7k

i guess a TD04 will give far more top-end (similar to asdame,s 165hp) but will take a bit longer to spool eh

I think you made more than that Frank. We made ~50bhp @ 3k on stock compression and I am sure your dyno pull showed plenty more torque below 4k with your high comp 1311 ;) (can't find the blasted graphs though <- FAIL!) :p

Doubling torque at any rpm is good though :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
you could be right mate, the latest graph i have was the AOC group dyno, which was before i fitted the QG injectors (the guy never sent the 109hp dyno session graph :( )
dqhr8k.jpg

personally, i dont think the little 40mm CG crank journals are man enough for regular 150+ hp punishment (unless you pamper it with top quality engine oil and frequent changes)

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
I'm aiming for about 80-90 front wheel kilowatt, so max 130 wheel horsepower.
Though, I only plan on running 8-10 psi, that's more important than outright power figure. The added torque of the turbo is what won it for me over the SR20DE conversion.

Really the only thing doing my head in is squirters.
Really want to avoid custom fuel rails to fit SR injectors, so I suppose that also helps limit me to 8-10 psi on the TD04.

I know GA16 injectors fit, so high flow them and might just use them for what they are good for and leave it at that. Unless there are other suggestions?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
schoona WROTE:

"Oh, and my flanges still haven't shown up yet :(

And have been in contact with Stani, Frank. He has been a great help so far!

aye, stani is sending his fuelrail to my local tig welder eh mal, i,ll fire some pics up when its done.
i think you will be maxxing out 198cc GA16 injectors personally (most members seem to go for the 370cc SR20 det ones eh)
you could run them with a 5th injector, similar to mine eh, easy to fit, and it means that off boost the fuelling runs pretty much as stock (nice idle and good milage) mine just runs from a button on the gearknob lol :)

i had a td04 on my car in its first incarnation. no lag at all, i actually found it annoying that it was on boost all the time. definately no lag if thats what your aim is. wouldn't bother with any injector that fits into the stock rail, they just won't flow enough. sr fuel rails really arent that hard to modify anyway. shoot kovert a pm, he's got one of mine that i'm pretty sure he might be getting rid of if you prefer to buy one rather then muck around making your own. don't use an emanage, they won't do what you want, and there have been a bulk amount fail. adjustable fuel reg is a good idea, allthough not really mandatory if your on a budget. as long as you have big enough injectors you won't need one, and if your injectors are too small, adjusting the pressure won't gain you that much flow out of them anyway. any intercooler setup that will fit with the shortest piping for minimal lag. ep82/91 starlet coolers are quite small and could probably fit quite well in a micra. ecu, id stick with a stinger, cheap, easy to wire in and will do what you want it to easily. max boost, 10psi seems to be the limit with a mediocre tune. 15+ if you've got a decent setup and good tuner. lifters don't normally get noisy on a micra, its ussually the timing chain tensioners etc.

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
Got all the knowledgable guys in here helping, cheers!

Brilliant, I want a streetable package so minimal lag is what I'm after. Just secured an S13 Silvia side mount intercooler whichl ooks like it should be perfect!

Will PM kovert and see what he has going as fair as rails and injectors, cheers for that also.

Stinger ECU is ~ 1500? + wiring and then tuning I'd imagine.

I can understand the chain guides/tensioner as my VR6's (MK3 VR6 and Mk4 R32 have timing chains and you only worry about them when they rattle). Makes sense, more or less regurgitated the previous owner.

Really liking making "progress" with this. All up I'm estimating to boost this will cost the same as my R32 exhaust (Milltek full system) so making me happy atm haha!

miltek exhaust! yuk, the quality on those things is worse then some china gear lol. cant believe some of the money the euro parts are going for. anywho, can pick up second hand stingers ussually for around 500, i think new they are around 1095? :S. haven't bought one for a while thou

CMF_D.K.C

» CMF Member
schoona WROTE:

"Got all the knowledgable guys in here helping, cheers!

Brilliant, I want a streetable package so minimal lag is what I'm after. Just secured an S13 Silvia side mount intercooler whichl ooks like it should be perfect!

Will PM kovert and see what he has going as fair as rails and injectors, cheers for that also.

Stinger ECU is ~ 1500? + wiring and then tuning I'd imagine.

I can understand the chain guides/tensioner as my VR6's (MK3 VR6 and Mk4 R32 have timing chains and you only worry about them when they rattle). Makes sense, more or less regurgitated the previous owner.

Really liking making "progress" with this. All up I'm estimating to boost this will cost the same as my R32 exhaust (Milltek full system) so making me happy atm haha!

If you're after response, I have a GT forester turbo lying around that you can have for free if you come pick it up on a weekend. It'll hit boost lower down than the td04, but has the same flange.

Also I have an e-manage blue and profec e-01 boost controller that i'll sell dirt cheap if you're interested in going that route for tuning. Let me know if you're interested.

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
Well here you go, wasn't hard to rig up lol.
It will be tighter than a nun's nasty I'm thinking but hope it will work. Damn I hope I can get it to work haha.
Probably relocate the horns and mount the cooler off the horn bracket + other associated tapped holes/threaded studs around the place.

IMG_0454.jpg

With the horns gone it'll be up much higher :) you can just see it (sorry about pics, its getting dark here)

IMG_0455.jpg

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
I want to run the compressor outlet straight down, into the bottom of the cooler in pic, then out of the cooler over the top of the motor like my intake and into my throttle body. It's just gonna be tight and a bitch to check oil lol

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
Alrighty from Kunigawa turbo:

-Turbo Inlet & Outlet Flange SUBARU EJ20 EJ25 TD05H VF34 Single Scroll Turbo’s Flange Set
-Turbo Oil Water Install Kit SUBARU EJ20 TF035HM TD04L

TurboorderSR20DETinjectors.jpg

Can also see some SR20DET injectors :)

And the NISMO clocks showed up too!
NISMOclocks.jpg

Now to sort out wiring diagrams and get it all working....

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
Still nothing about the EMS Stinger. Meh 3 emails. No response.

Hopefully won't have too many dramas with the NISMO cluster. Fuel sender should be ok, temperature sender, meh I'm most worried about fuel, tacho, speed and lights. If I can't find a "JDM temp sensor".

Will just get a temp gauge to go with boost gauge. Better than an external tacho easy.

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
the plastic surround is also a different shape to the normal k11 cluster

might still fit duno havent tried mine, im in the process of just swapping the faces onto another cluster :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
schoona WROTE:

"Still nothing about the EMS Stinger. Meh 3 emails. No response.

Hopefully won't have too many dramas with the NISMO cluster. Fuel sender should be ok, temperature sender, meh I'm most worried about fuel, tacho, speed and lights. If I can't find a "JDM temp sensor".

Will just get a temp gauge to go with boost gauge. Better than an external tacho easy.

george (mckenziecz) is breaking a march eh mal, his dashloom may be useful ?
what,s the fuelpump off btw ?

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
according to kovert.k11:

"In order to use it you'll need to splice into the existing wiring and rewire into the JDM harnesses...same deal for fuel sender"

I took that as fuel sender is different between JDM and UK, that's why he sent it so I can get it to work. I would still have thought that at the dash end you'd still have a signal for fuel level and coolant temp, so that should still be able to made to work on the JDM dash. If that makes sense. But apparently not. So this is how we going about it

i've got a nismo dash cluster in my car. you'll need to chop off all the original plugs and use the ones he supplied you with. . didn't know the cluster was shapped differently to the aus/uk micra versions. fits no worries at all. good luck wiring the **** up. was a nightmare. yes you'll have to use the jdm fuel sender also. same as the coolant temp sender.

proof lol: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img2761k.jpg/

CMF_schoona

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"i've got a nismo dash cluster in my car. you'll need to chop off all the original plugs and use the ones he supplied you with. . didn't know the cluster was shapped differently to the aus/uk micra versions. fits no worries at all. good luck wiring the **** up. was a nightmare. yes you'll have to use the jdm fuel sender also. same as the coolant temp sender. <BR><BR>proof lol: <A title=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img2761k.jpg/ href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img2761k.jpg/" target=_blank>http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img2761k.jpg/</A>

I don't have coolant temp sender. Was if it's too much of a bitch to find a JDM one I'll just go with an external coolant temp sender.
I got bare wires, no plugs :(

Dad is an auto lecco, so hopefully he can give me a hand, will use terminals most likely. Try and label everything for "Ease"

Back