Induction feed

E

entirelyconfused

I was just checking out the current air filter in my k11 before I change it. I followed the feed pipe and found that it ends behind the headlight. This seems a little odd to me, surely if the feed entrance was on the front end e.g in a grill it would get better, cooler air thus improve performance? Or maybe I'm just talking rubbish.

hi mate, your logic is right...

if you do a search on (air intake, cold air intake, k&n etc...) you'll get all the different ways members have set up the air filters and piping...

btw... i posted the filter this morn, you should have it by tomoz...:)

TBH, relocating the standard air feed pipe to the grill aint gonna make much difference. Only worth worrying about if you fit an induction kit really, and then you can make a custom feed to the cone having scrapped the old air filter housing.

no you are right, colder air is better for performance, it's quite a common mod to channel air from the front of the car onto the throttle body or to have an induction pipe with a filter placed away from the heat of the engine, like thisView attachment 5943

good start ECS, would that be hand crafted from B&Qs finest 68mm plastic drainpipe as is mine ?

and I love the sound from mine. :D

sonic said:
good start ECS, would that be hand crafted from B&Qs finest 68mm plastic drainpipe as is mine ?

and I love the sound from mine. :D

It would indeed. Had to use 50mm pipe for the cold air feed though.

Alienfish360 said:
and I bet you feel no difference at all lol :p

No idea car isn't MOT'd or taxed yet so I haven't driven it. Sounds better though.

Alienfish360 said:
and I bet you feel no difference at all lol :p
there's a definate improvement in acceleration, especially in the high end of the rev range.

it all depends on which filter you use I suppose.

good job lad, mines totally different it goes straight over the engine down to the grill with a bigger k&n on it than what there should be, i noticed a difference in mine can really feel it pull and sounds the ticket, what filter is that on your car??

Rocking_Rota said:
good job lad, mines totally different it goes straight over the engine down to the grill with a bigger k&n on it than what there should be, i noticed a difference in mine can really feel it pull and sounds the ticket, what filter is that on your car??

Pipercross.

Rocking_Rota said:

not the best idea there, because the pipe soaks up the heat from the engine, slightly warming up the air. albeit not a lot, but every little helps :]

Ian said:
not the best idea there, because the pipe soaks up the heat from the engine, slightly warming up the air. albeit not a lot, but every little helps :]

yea the pipe does heat up abit but its the only way you can get it to were i have it i think, looks pretty gd too and beats havin the filter just sitting on the throttle body like i did before :down:

Rocking_Rota said:
yea the pipe does heat up abit but its the only way you can get it to were i have it i think, looks pretty gd too and beats havin the filter just sitting on the throttle body like i did before :down:

You could always consider wrapping the pipe in heat-proof material. What's the stuff that you can wrap the manifold in to stop it giving off so much heat?

sonic said:
Alienfish was experimenting with a cold air feed from under the car iirc, does anyone know how it went ?

Yeah, it pulled better when at 60, 70 or 70+10 onwards

No difference at all really below that. The problem was though, was when it fell off under a bridge.

Questions...

Is it worthwhile making the change??

Which one to get??

Anything else to be adjusted??

Thanks

was thinking K&N... the old one already had a HKS mushroom.

Sounds better put it that way:) I've taken it out for a small jaunt around the block and it does seem to pull sllllightyyy better at high revs but don't expect miricles.

keep the hks mushroom....the crappy oil that k+n stuffs on their filters gets sucked out as soon as you put your foot down..

they make the cotton weave purposely loser and fill in the gaps with the oil...after you have sucked it out...theres hardly any filteration....

i would go with green cotton or HKS....(although the best performing air filter in the world is the Apex Cone)

well i boguht a carbon canister induction system that was reeviously on a 180sx!

it workds alot better then wat you lot have done beacuse being a canister it protects from heat and having my cold air feed strite off the other end going from the frnt bumper its really forced air induction,lol.

micra.jas said:
well i boguht a carbon canister induction system that was reeviously on a 180sx!

it workds alot better then wat you lot have done beacuse being a canister it protects from heat and having my cold air feed strite off the other end going from the frnt bumper its really forced air induction,lol.

That sounds about right to me mate, probably the best induction your gonna get from a filter.

how long do these cones last? I read somewhere they have a lifetim guarantee... are they washable? Expensive to replace when and if changing?

Back