Cold air feed

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
hi guys ive just fitted a cold air feed pipe and was just wondering how much bhp ill be gaining ive situated it behind the grill after getting rid of that metal plate thats there. I ask this because they can increase on modern cars about 30-40 bhp

i must admit it has neatened up freed up a load more space under the bonnet

dan

Stani1029

Club Member
youll be lucky to get anything from it, and i dont know where your getting 30-40bhp. if you wanted that kind of increase youll need atleast a 1.3 engine, some kind of performance manifold and a cat back system

OP
OP
danny1.0l

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
when i say 30-40 bhp i mean on vw golfs and the ford focus's of this world and will i notice any differance in the sound of the engine as its breathing alot easier

micras69

Deactivated Account
That's not true, no DIY or of the shelf induction/air feed produces that amount of bhp figures on any car they are likely to produce more around 1bhp max or nothing at all.

frank

Club Member
hi guys ive just fitted a cold air feed pipe and was just wondering how much bhp ill be gaining ive situated it behind the grill after getting rid of that metal plate thats there. I ask this because they can increase on modern cars about 30-40 bhp

i must admit it has neatened up freed up a load more space under the bonnet

dan

it depends what setup you have dan ?, if you have fitted a cone filter directly ontop of the t/b then you can lose about 5hp on a hot day :eek:

OP
OP
danny1.0l

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
i have got the ducting run to directly behind the front grill without a cone on the endso would it be better for me to get a manifold and decat system i will be putting pics on my blog which is called danny1.0l's k11 blog then you make judgement

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
it wasnt one of them halfords boys was it? :p
if it was 40bhp though id be happy :)
my car is already at 300bhp... i have go faster stripes!

i just have to put diesel in mine to get 100bhp, i took the 'zorst off and put a cherrybomb backbox which gave me 70bhp, a superchirp adds 100bhp, a filter i made out of a salad strainer and an old t-shirt adds 50bhp, its also got a dump valve but i think its broken coz it dont make any sound???

den again my ampz and stuff are like 500kilowatts so it weys it down more :(

micras69

Deactivated Account
Ok lads lol. some people arnt too shure with bhp figures ect ect and it's not his falt he is just repeting what he has been told.....I think it should be constructive comments not p'ss takeing?

Dan, cold air is better than hot obviously as engines thrive and work better. You want to eliminate heat soak as best as you can like frank said a cone filter on the tb takes in hot air from the bay so you have done the right thing in takeing the duct to the grill but I would advise you use some form of filter....you don't want it sucking in rubish and damageing the TB

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Ok lads lol. some people arnt too shure with bhp figures ect ect and it's not his falt he is just repeting what he has been told.....I think it should be constructive comments not p'ss takeing?

+1

For future reference a micra has around 54bhp as standard iirc. Any bolt on modification is unlikely to give more than about 5% increase in power without a remap. Don't believe what they say in adverts or what your mates tell you. And if in doubt feel free to ask on here for some honest advice

OP
OP
danny1.0l

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
would you still say to put some sort of filter on it even though my grill has got a mesh on it and would a piece of thin foam do the job as a secondary barrier as i havnt got the cash at the mo

thanks for the advice sofar guys much appreciated

dan

pollyp

Club Member
you need some sort of fine filter in the inlet air to keep out all debris, unless you have the luxury of rebuilding/replacing the engine every so often.

not sure a chicken wire sorta grill mesh on its own will offer much protection.
could ya not enlarge the inlet hole in the stock airbox and fix the CAI to that?

the CAI gives only a slight improvement at high revs.
the peashooter manifold is the most restrictive area

stock 1.3 is 75bhp
after enlarging the airbox inlet with a CAI drainpipe, fitted JUN ultra light flywheel, janspeed manifold & system it reached 85bhp stock ecu map.
after Ed's remapping, it reached 92bhp

i'd say the manifold gave the biggest change

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Hi
I think that the easiest, cheapest and more safe solution would be : K&N filter (more airflow incomes)+ a prolongation pipe from the stock airbox hole, taking cold air from behind the grill = More cold air being filtered to protect the engine.
Cheers
Seb

you definately need a filter on there! if you dont have the money to to the mod, why do it half-arsed? thats like buying new alloys and having bald/flat tyres fitted to them ... :S!

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
In winter there's no need for a filter as the rain keeps all the dust down. How do I know this? I take the filter off my motorbike in winter and that has even less protection than a car air intake. I have no problems at all. However I do rebuild the engine every time I melt a piston (about every 250 miles) so if there is damage happening I can't see it. Car air filters are designed to be used in crappy dusty environments so will be more effective than is necessary.

In winter there's no need for a filter as the rain keeps all the dust down. How do I know this? I take the filter off my motorbike in winter and that has even less protection than a car air intake. I have no problems at all. However I do rebuild the engine every time I melt a piston (about every 250 miles) so if there is damage happening I can't see it. Car air filters are designed to be used in crappy dusty environments so will be more effective than is necessary.

eh? i really dont think he'll be intrested in re-building the engine every fortnight (if it lasts that long) i had a renault kangoo van, got it serviced, 1000miles later it blew up (big hole in side of block) alas, the 'mechanic' had 'forgotten' to put in an airfilter...that and renault vans are generally crud anyway but you get my point.

back on topic: car engines are designed and built to very tight tolerances, so much as a grain of sand can cause havoc, the air filter is there for a reason, use it or lose it....

OP
OP
danny1.0l

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
ok then guys ill put the standard airbox back on along with the ducting ive got and put a panel filter in whats better in the way of panel filters k+n or green cotton will i still need a cone filter for the end of the ducting

samcsd

Ex. Club Member
ok, I've read the thread like three time now, has the actual airbox been removed? or as I understand it an 'extention' pipe has been added to the original? If so would the filter in box work?

apologies for hijacking!