Best induction placement???

Right, i have all the parts for my custom induction kit.( 70 into 60mm 90° silicone elbow, 1m 60mm aluminium pipe, 60mm 45° elbow, 60mm universal air filter, small 25mm elbow with breather filter and all the jubilees needed to piece it together.) Sooo.. basicly i can place my air filter anywhere in my bay. Im also buyin a air feed flexy pipe for cold air feed. So what im wanting to know is where is best place to keep it away from the heat and where i can get a good air feed to it? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks alot.

Behind the drivers side light I'd say, you can play with the slam panel or remove it entirely to aid flow to the filter. My opinion.

Thanks mate. Ive noticed alotta ppl put it over ther but iv seen people place it over behind the battery but i dont understand hw because my collant bottle there. I think its coolant anyway :/ ha. Well anyway thanks ill check how air feed works ther and ill let you know :)

Good good thanks :) you agree with eno over near driver side light? And know any cheap tips on getting old power back or making new power? Ive got a full service on monday n changing ht wires to blue silicone 8mm wires. Just trying to smarten up the engine and improve anything little while im there.

New plugs, leads, rotor arm, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, engine oil, gearbox oil, run a bottle of injector cleaner through it and have the ignition timing set on the dizzy.
I did my airbox like this:
1385060474232.jpg

and that pipe goes through the hole in the slam panel to just behind the grill. The idea was to get some ram air effect but I don't think it's generating anything meaningful in terms of ram effect. Definately get the coldest air here as the radiator heats up and makes less dense any air going to the passenger side...

Couldnt have asked for a better answer thanks alot mate. Im going for the same idea but with a more aimed and precise air flow with a straight rounded cornered flow to the carb. You have the box so the airflow will be quite strong to the box but because of the shape n the room in it the air will be threw about n stuff before gettin sucked in. Thats my idea anyway. Thts the flow im going for but im thinking over the driver side nw

Attachments

• 1385062026871.jpg
    1385062026871.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,841
I had a similar set up to you ian, found it down on power and a loss in acceleration response as the air is sucked through rather than waiting in the box, swapped to a set up like Euno and the responsive is instant and feels to pull better

Sorry if you thort i was talking against the ga setup. Im new to the car stuff so like a says thats my idea anyway. Ha im no mechanic but i do understand basic stuff like cold air is better for more oxygen leading to more power n fuel efficiency. And using the air flow to force it thru is better n to me it seems as tho the box wud break the flow more than a straight connection like the example i gave. Like high performance exhaust are more straightened out and manifold is less cornered for better flow. Thts the idea. If im wrong in anyway then please correct me. For the record am i right in thinkin ga box setup is the almera box?

Sorry if you thort i was talking against the ga setup. Im new to the car stuff so like a says thats my idea anyway. Ha im no mechanic but i do understand basic stuff like cold air is better for more oxygen leading to more power n fuel efficiency. And using the air flow to force it thru is better n to me it seems as tho the box wud break the flow more than a straight connection like the example i gave. Like high performance exhaust are more straightened out and manifold is less cornered for better flow. Thts the idea. If im wrong in anyway then please correct me. For the record am i right in thinkin ga box setup is the almera box?
Yeah almera box. Supposedly P11 I think primera ones fit.
Air in the air box probably acts to buffer to smooth the delivery of air into the engine.

Aww well thers my proof i aint a mechanic haha. So throttle body mean injectors? So best induction is almera/primera box with air feed and filter at end? Air feed to filter from ther? Tht sound right? Im gonna rethink this thru then haha. For the record wud the setup i thort work better than the standard panel filter setup?

Aww well thers my proof i aint a mechanic haha. So throttle body mean injectors? So best induction is almera/primera box with air feed and filter at end? Air feed to filter from ther? Tht sound right? Im gonna rethink this thru then haha. For the record wud the setup i thort work better than the standard panel filter setup?
No, you'd lose power with what you were planning. Most cost effective mod is the almera/primera/100nx air box, panel filter inside air box(I used a standard one) and modify the standard micra airbox feed pipe to fit the new airbox.

i found that a narrow smooth bored pipe gave more grunt ian (like the stock snorkel) it helps the airflow speed
So if instead of taking it down to 60mm through the kit if i bring it down to like 45-50mm itll have a much faster powerful airflow right? To everyone whos posted thabks alot. Learning alot haha

Larger diameter intake pipes allow a larger maximum flow, but the air moves through the pipe at a slower speed. Air has mass, and because it has mass when it has any speed it has momentum. With a properly sized intake pipe diameter, the momentum of the air in the pipe can keep the air moving during the time the cylinders aren't taking in air and can actually build up a very small positive pressure, and then when the cylinders take in air the momentum also helps to fill the cylinders more efficiently, getting more air into the cylinders and thus allowing more fuel so you can generate more power. The airbox allows more air to be stored at this small positive pressure, meaning more air is ready to fill the cylinders as soon as the intake valve opens. With just pipework with a pod filter on the end you lose this benefit, and lose power.
Drawing in cold air only does so much.

So if instead of taking it down to 60mm through the kit if i bring it down to like 45-50mm itll have a much faster powerful airflow right? To everyone whos posted thabks alot. Learning alot haha
especially on a 1.0 mate :) tho the last dyno printout i saw on a 1.0 went mega rich at the topend ! so your kit might work well at 6k rpm (but still be slower 0 to 60)

So at a faster speed when airflow is at its best it cud work but till it builds up its just cold air and nt rushed?
You want the air moving as fast as possible really, but that means reducing the intake diameter and reducing it too much can cause too much of a restriction and as Frank said lead to the engine running rich at high revs.
The cold air bit at the end of my last post was just to try and say that there is more to improving induction on an n/a setup than feeding colder air and fitting a big filter, and wasn't meant to be a part of the explanation :)

Right so intake diameter smaller but not too small. Check. Thanks alot :)
I'd stick with the stock micra intake pipe diameter unless you have a rolling road to test the effects smaller or larger pipes has, the stock pipe will probably be pretty close to ideal unless you start doing head work/cams/remapping etc.

Well im gonna record what this does. Then try down to 40mm instead of 60 and see hw it runs out. Thanks for everything everyone :) so exhaust backbox? Yes or no?

A backbox or catback on its own won't do anything except make the car noisier, tubular manifold and second cat delete (if you have one) on top of a performanxe backbox is the only exhaust mod that will see any meaningful power gains (well, except a Frankspeed manifold of course :) )

Frankspeed? Tht a make of manifolds? N how many pennys we talking for tht? And just outta curiosity. Wud removing the standard manifold n wire pipeclean it out n try polish it thru a bit work? Am guessing a builtup of carbon wud restrict your manifold and cause friction. So a nice polished clean one. Tht do anything?

Frankspeed = from the mad genius that is Frank (you'd have to speak to Frank)
PLR = Peter Lloyd Rally
Polish will help a small amount at the highest flow rates. It might be worth a couple of horsepower on a big V8 but on a micra you'll probably not even be able to measure the difference on a dyno.

Guessing franks a user on here? Ha. I think ill just stick to more common upgrades tht cost the least haha. Ive had the car a month might blow on me yet ha

This is was i went for..can't say thought actually what gained the most i tried almost everything in the book(GA16 box with piping to the bumper,straight pipe with cone filter+ram air,free flow filter in the standard box..).Each one of them gave a better result than standard,some maybe higher in the rev range and other a bit lower in the rev range.I concluded that this is the best for my current set up(Cg10 with 1.3 cams,ported head,totally skimmed head for compression,straight though exhaust with 42mm piping and cone filter with a ram air)

Attachments

• micra.jpg
    micra.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 592
This is was i went for..can't say thought actually what gained the most i tried almost everything in the book(GA16 box with piping to the bumper,straight pipe with cone filter+ram air,free flow filter in the standard box..).Each one of them gave a better result than standard,some maybe higher in the rev range and other a bit lower in the rev range.I concluded that this is the best for my current set up(Cg10 with 1.3 cams,ported head,totally skimmed head for compression,straight though exhaust with 42mm piping and cone filter with a ram air)
Thats not ram air.

I've fitted a pipe that comes from the bumper to the back of the filter..of course you can't see it in that picture because i haven't got it in there yet!So yes it is a ram air intake. ;)

theres rumblings from both sides of the fence here......!

yes cold air means its more dense and therefore more oxygen to burn.... good thing
but..... cold air will cool the fuel as well, reducing the atomisation of the fuel, making the burn worse........ bad thing

yes having an airbox means you've got air waiting there, ready to be used, its more controlled air of a more standardised temperature........ good thing
no airbox means no waiting air. the temperature will fluctuate, but you have less restricted air flow, meaning its easier to get more into the cylinder......... good thing

the longer your inlet system, the better low down torque you will have....
the shorter your inlet system the better high end power you will have.....

design your intake around what YOU want from your car. if you're going around town then have a nice big airbox and a long inlet system. if you're just going to rev it and rev it then have a short intake system.
429715_10150648218879235_1963968387_n.jpg

Cold air doesn't affect atomisation THAT much... just have to direct some hot air at intake if it gets a bit baltic.

Back