I give up

Feed to engine
View attachment 25285

@james why can I only upload 1 photo per post :/ previous post has gone doolally now

Attachments

• 1378288365692.jpg
    1378288365692.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 257
Ah well my pipe size has increased to 5/16... which I thought was standard size... its 1mm wider than standard.. so that wont help :/

Yea common sense suggests reducing the pumps pressure reduces flow... though it may work opposite
Cant find any info on this carb though. Nor haynes or interweb can help me.
Ga16 forum is too inexperienced to help with the 'ds' model

I'd imagine the same pressure but through a larger diameter pipe would flow more Andy

flow-rate.gif

where,
Q = Flow Rate,
A = Flow Area,
v = Flow Velocity.

So the larger area increase the flow rate :) (stole from internet)

Sticking with photobucket it might work
Feed from tank on left
Return to tank on right
20130904_104907_zps589c6f91.jpg

Feed to engine
20130904_104915_zps7b9b1f04.jpg

@frank that feed from tank looks restricted compared to my now open pipes

I'd imagine the same pressure but through a larger diameter pipe would flow more Andy

flow-rate.gif

where,
Q = Flow Rate,
A = Flow Area,
v = Flow Velocity.

So the larger area increase the flow rate :) (stole from internet)
Good find :) appreciated.
So I need to reduce pipe size for a start...
And looking at my old pump.. do the needle trick frank suggested

ours just has a T fitting on the "in" pipe to the carb mate, so that any pressure buildup is sent back to the tank, and it drops the pressure to the carb too
Ahh frank 2 things
1: will that settle my pressure gauge?
2: is the regulator return insufficient in your opinion
Ok maybe 3
3: Has the tank feed on the mech pump give you any clues?

@enuo
Any ideas on the mech pump post above?
The feed from tank is 1mm wide... pressure/flow related?
This mech pump has confused me

Fix this bloody car

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
It's getting my full attention today. I've caught up on all paperwork stuffs yesterday so it's game on today.
First up is testing for definite if its fuel or spark related (I'm sticking with overfueling in my head)

Next Franks T-piece off the feed... though I haven't got a 0.7mm restrictor. Though mine may need more relief than a Kart engine :/ so might need a vigger restrictor
If that doesn't work... then I'll put the mech pump on... test what pressure that deliver and flow rate. And set mine up to suit :)

How's yours coming? Long day for you too?

As a preliminary test I Think I would T off with some rubber hose into a container, then use a G clamp or something else adjustable to squeeze the pipe and restrict the flow. That way you can try different restrictions easily and have an idea if it will solve the problem.

Ed has a good point. I do the same thing... Something isn't right.. Come up with silly clever way to test it using household goods. If solved then make a proper fix

As a preliminary test I Think I would T off with some rubber hose into a container, then use a G clamp or something else adjustable to squeeze the pipe and restrict the flow. That way you can try different restrictions easily and have an idea if it will solve the problem.
That's a good idea Ed :) saves me guessing then. I was gonna make a restrictor and keep putting it in the lathe to drill tge hole out a bit... looking at the mech pump 0.7 isnt far off :/

Ed has a good point. I do the same thing... Something isn't right.. Come up with silly clever way to test it using household goods. If solved then make a proper fix

Like frank and the evian bottle... except frank kept that :p
I shall be on it :)

I suppose you will have to do so though still andy. Is there a math equation for mole grips squished pipe thinking about it haha

Errrm no :p though if you find one do let me know :D
Oh I'll do it :) I'll test it to the point I know every single pressure at every single restrictor size... or try
My gauge flickers and doesn't sit still long enough to get a reading. From 0-4psi... regardless of how much I turn the regulator... it's annoying

My thinking is let's see if it solves the problem first and then worry about tuning the restricter.
Possibly a pressure relief valve would be better than a restricter anyway? (two fittings a ball bearing and a spring jobbie).

But at what pressure do I set it :/... I really do believe that is how the mech pump works... once pressure reaches a certain point it diverts tl return... hence only needing one pipe into the carb

But at what pressure do I set it :/... I really do believe that is how the mech pump works... once pressure reaches a certain point it diverts tl return... hence only needing one pipe into the carb
That would make sense... Anyway, let's see if it's fuel over delivery first eh and then you/we(all of us) can work out how to solve it :)

Absolutely.
With any other car I keep a level head... being very attached to this one I get worked up too quick

I do appreciate all the time you guys are putting in :)
Testing fuel or spark now :)

Righto... fuel pumps off.. bit of fuel in carb.. started and ran beautifully.
Definitely fuel related issue.
A lot less fuel in carb
Sat between the marks on the inspection window too

So the test results are as follows.
Regulator wound in tight
Ran 500ml in 25sec.. or 1.2litre a minute @ 2.5psi according to my flicky gauge
If I held my finger over the end of the pipe. Obviously flow would have technically stopped in the carb feed and went down the return @ 6.5psi so max pump pressure

That's the setup I'm using
1378373421581.jpg

Carb feed pipe detached and a standard fuel pipe off the other K10 popped in the end ans flowed into a jug.

My next test I was gonna put a standard 7mm pipe on the carb feed and see if pressure drops. If I can get a 7mm on the barbs of the gauge

Would I be right in assuming... that I can put this regulator in before the carb... to further reduce carb pressure? Or will that permanently keep pressure down and eliminate the point of having a boost referenced regulator? Or will the boost referenced one still increase flow through this one?
Orrr... mount them the other way round?
1378373881121.jpg

Answers on a post card :p

Little update... non return regulator installed after the gauge in the pics of my previous setup
It flowed the same rate of 500ml in 25 secs... but @ 1.5psi instead... looking more reasonable.
Going to set up the t piece idea of franks now

Just noticed something fairly important.

That mech pump.. I got it wrong
1378376387976.jpg

That pipe on the right is from tank!!!!... that little 1mm hole on the left is the return!!!
@frank... so this will be the same as your t-piece on your Karts?

No bud the opposite if its set to say 2psi even if the input pressure goes up and down from 5 / 6 / 7 / 6 psi i recon it will still only put out 2psi
Regardless of manifold pressure :/
I always thought they increased fuel pressure at 1:1 with boost input... albeit not alot on an n/a :p

Just noticed something fairly important.

That mech pump.. I got it wrong
View attachment 25294
That pipe on the right is from tank!!!!... that little 1mm hole on the left is the return!!!
@frank... so this will be the same as your t-piece on your Karts?
that just a restrictor on the outlet pipe aint it andy, to damper the flow i guess
the restricted return pipe we have on our karts is like a ghetto p/r/v (ie, the higher the pressure the more it bleeds fuel away)

that just a restrictor on the outlet pipe aint it andy, to damper the flow i guess
the restricted return pipe we have on our karts is like a ghetto p/r/v (ie, the higher the pressure the more it bleeds fuel away)
So this pump would be at a set pressure.
If I was to run my electric pump through it... it would bleed fuel as the fuel pressure increases from the boost referenced regulator

No bud the opposite if its set to say 2psi even if the input pressure goes up and down from 5 / 6 / 7 / 6 psi i recon it will still only put out 2psi
Sorry skinner I've just read your first reply properly. I'm talking about different things. The non return one will hold 2psi but will it allow increase of flow

So this pump would be at a set pressure.
If I was to run my electric through it... it would bleed fuel as the fuel pressure increases from the boost referenced regulator
that tiny hole is gonna seriously restrict flow eh, if you drilled it out you should get more consistent flow figures while adjusting the the valves

that tiny hole is gonna seriously restrict flow eh, if you drilled it out you should get more consistent flow figures while adjusting the the valves
That's the old mech pump I'm not using now :)
This is my new setup
1378377676968.jpg

From right to left
Swirl pot > pump > filter > return regulator > pressure gauge > carb
At the minute its running into another (non return) regulator then jug

I should have explained that at the start :/

ahhh 3 pipes ! then yes it has the same effect as out kart return eh :)
Sorry to confuse you mate :) its only just occurred to me I should show that view
So t-piece and restrictor would be the solution :) my very own ghetto pressure relief valve

Okay so why is my carb now backfiring.... nothing has changed... and I highly doubt my timing is out it ran fine this morning. And I doubt even more something camshaft/valve related has broken... if it has I'm scrapping the engine

Okay so why is my carb now backfiring.... nothing has changed... and I highly doubt my timing is out it ran fine this morning. And I doubt even more something camshaft/valve related has broken... if it has I'm scrapping the engine

Car or Carb mate?

Might just be the fuel that was flooding before that made it into the exhaust burning off?

Car or Carb mate?

Might just be the fuel that was flooding before that made it into the exhaust burning off?
Carb mate :) I can see the fuel pop up... then vapour pours out if I manually open the valves

When ran this morning it ran well no flooding as I didn't start the pumps up
I did leave the feed pipe disconnected while it ran. So it might have drawn air? As it'll be fairly lean :/

Carb mate :) I can see the fuel pop up... then vapour pours out if I manually open the valves

When ran this morning it ran well no flooding as I didn't start the pumps up
I did leave the feed pipe disconnected while it ran. So it might have drawn air? As it'll be fairly lean :/

That's a bit of a nightmare your having fella!

Whats the setup at the minute, pumps running with the restrictor fitted?

Back