Ok guys i need some help

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

i have a bit of a problem, i have a big decission to make and i don't know what to choose.

at the moment i have no job, i have close to £2k in savings, but this drops monthly, with car bills etc.

so far i have had nothing job wise, not even the local Esso will give me a job, its getting stupid.

so its looking like i have to sell the cars. which i really don't want to do, after i worked so hard to get the convertible, and i spent so much money and time on my other cars, i know i don't need all of them, but they all have their good and bad sides. for example the convertible is great in the summer, but slow and fuel hungry and impractical, but it is my fav. the Lx, is very quick, great on fuel, very practical, but it is a bit of a shed, with a constant battle against rust. the Gx is the one i put all the effort into, its almost finished, its hard working but not going to sell well without breaking it, and i have no where to break it.

so anyway these cars are my life, they mean alot to me, i have put so much time and effort and money into that i can't bare to sell them, which i will have to do because i will run out of money to keep them on the road and i have no where off road to put them.

but there is a ray of hope. i have just enough money to ship them to Sweden, where they will be safe and off the road. but i have to go with them, meaning no more JAE, no more micra contacts and cheap parts etc, as well as no more meeting up with friends and stuff. its a big decission and i have to make it soon, because by next month i will have another outgoing and i wont have enough money to ship the cars.

so the question is.... do i stay in England, use the last of my savings to keep the cars alive and hope that i get some kind of job before my money runs out and i have to sell the cars anyway...

OR

Do i blow all my money getting the cars and me to Sweden, loosing everything else i have in england, and being stranded in Sweden with no money for an unknown amount of time, hoping i will have more luck getting a job in a different country where i don't speak the language.....

i think i'm screwed.....

why sweden?

My GF lives there, her parents have loads of space for cars and two house, one of which i can live in for free.... but i don't want to scrounge off them for ever but i have no idea how long it would take me to get a job.

Sorry things are coming to this mate, can't imagine how you must be feeling!

I think this is more something you need to work out for yourself though, as only you know what will make you happy in the end..

Mate this just royally sucks :( Why won't people give you a job!? I would If I had my own company :)

Unfortunately, I'm siding with Robert a little on this one. I know it is a huge decision, but it's one only you can make in the end.

I personally wish you could stay in this country - all your friends are here, you speak the language, and although it's a bit crap here at the moment; the idea of going to a country where you can't speak the language and don't have any idea of when you will get a job would sort of scare me - however you are a different person to me. I know Iris is there, but i'm not sure whether it would be the best decision in the long run.

However, at the end of the day, it really is up to you. I know you love those cars very much, but at the moment it's really not a great idea to keep them all.

That's my two pennies, but remember, I'm here if you need me, and I will back you whatever decision you choose to take :)

i know how you feel mate, cant you borrow/lease a garage off a mate, or search the local papers for some garage? cause at the moment my car is off the road in my drive. i hope you figure something out , i've had no luck with jobs either, its total crap lol

you could keep the best 2 cars you own on the other hand, or break your less favourite 1

i know how you feel mate, cant you borrow/lease a garage off a mate, or search the local papers for some garage? cause at the moment my car is off the road in my drive. i hope you figure something out , i've had no luck with jobs either, its total crap lol

+1...iam the same. still have a job but nothings going on atm... and struggling to find a new job anywhere!

My 2c, reduce all your outgoings to the bare minimum, sell/break your roadworthy cars to get the project finished and then just have the one car - even if it is in a lock-up somewhere, this could hopefully tide you over until you get back on your feet again when you can enjoy your 1 car. Personally I'd say that you only need 1 roadworthy car (surely it's getting to a good time to sell the convert) and it would mean that you could stay in the UK with all your ties at least for a while.

Then again, if you want a fresh start, then Sweden could it could be the perfect impetus for you to do it, but you do need to start getting things in place over there - I don't think that it would be very good to be in the same situation as you are now, except in another country - are you planning on moving to Sweden at some point anyay?

Craig

Dump this crappy country and go to sweden, for every job here you're fighting 50 immigrants and when you do get a job the govt. just taxes the s*** outta you. You can always come back and visit your friends, if you don't go live in another country now you might not get another chance

I think it'll take as long as it takes for this recession to finish, have you checked Jobs center, (Daily), Fish4Jobs or Reed Employment I've got a job but money is rubbish and is getting worse as they've cut my overtime, my car is off the road and not insured at the moment.

How many cars do you have and how many of them are insured, taxed and not SORN'd?

Sorry things are coming to this mate, can't imagine how you must be feeling!

I think this is more something you need to work out for yourself though, as only you know what will make you happy in the end..

thanks mate, it is a very difficult decision, there is lots of things to think about and good things on both sides.

damn i was hoping you wern't gonna say that lol, i want to move but i want to have time to do it, a job would give me time, but if i don't get one soon enough my money will run out and the window closes.

How many cars do you have and how many of them are insured, taxed and not SORN'd?

he has 4 and a half. 3 are taxed, moted and insured (the cab being an import costs as much as the other 2 put together to insure iirc)

I dunno what to say NeX but If you decide to go then I'll help you with the cars etc. Difficult decision but as said, your choice in the end mate.

Mate this just royally sucks :( Why won't people give you a job!? I would If I had my own company :)

Unfortunately, I'm siding with Robert a little on this one. I know it is a huge decision, but it's one only you can make in the end.

I personally wish you could stay in this country - all your friends are here, you speak the language, and although it's a bit crap here at the moment; the idea of going to a country where you can't speak the language and don't have any idea of when you will get a job would sort of scare me - however you are a different person to me. I know Iris is there, but i'm not sure whether it would be the best decision in the long run.

However, at the end of the day, it really is up to you. I know you love those cars very much, but at the moment it's really not a great idea to keep them all.

That's my two pennies, but remember, I'm here if you need me, and I will back you whatever decision you choose to take :)

aww i know you would, but the difference between you and managers is that you are totally awesome ;)

yea i know, its just very difficult, the MSC is one of the biggest reasons for staying, cos of all the great people.

aww you are sweet, and yea you have hit on many things that are putting me off going, over here i know so many people, if i want stuff i know how to get it, over there i would be shafted. and it really scares me too, i am used to being independent, i can work out what i need to do to get things, i know all the laws and money and rules, i even know the geography of the UK i have been most places, but over there i would no nothing. i would feel like such an idiot and be so lost.

i know keeping them all is silly in my situation, but i also know if i have to sell them i still have to tax them and MOT them to get good money for them, but then i suppose i get them back. if i just had an off the road place to put them i would be fine.

but thanks very much, i am sure i will be talking to you more about it

you could keep the best 2 cars you own on the other hand, or break your less favourite 1

well thats the problem i don't know anyone with space or a drive way or anything, and i cant afford to pay for a garage or something like that. i was on the waiting list for a garage for 3 years, and that got me no where.

yea jobs at the moment are a bit of a joke...

true, problem is even that is hard to work out, the one i care about the least, is the one i really should be keeping because it is so practical... and its worth the least as well..

+1...iam the same. still have a job but nothings going on atm... and struggling to find a new job anywhere!

stupid isn't it, i can't even get a job in a pub cleaning dishes.

My 2c, reduce all your outgoings to the bare minimum, sell/break your roadworthy cars to get the project finished and then just have the one car - even if it is in a lock-up somewhere, this could hopefully tide you over until you get back on your feet again when you can enjoy your 1 car. Personally I'd say that you only need 1 roadworthy car (surely it's getting to a good time to sell the convert) and it would mean that you could stay in the UK with all your ties at least for a while.

Then again, if you want a fresh start, then Sweden could it could be the perfect impetus for you to do it, but you do need to start getting things in place over there - I don't think that it would be very good to be in the same situation as you are now, except in another country - are you planning on moving to Sweden at some point anyay?

Craig

at the moment my outgoings are already at their lowest, just got things like my stupid 18 month contract on the phone etc, stuff i cant get out of.

it is more likely that the project will get sold or scrapped, i did some sums and the money is just far too much to finish it properly.

and i still have the problem of nowhere to put the car, and i bought the convertible in the winter just so i could use it in the summer, it would be the ultimate kick in the balls if i had to sell it just as the weather is getting good, i have dreamt about owning one for so long, and then to sell it before even using it properly.... i think it will be the last car to go...

i do like the idea of a freash start, and there is a house and free car parking spaces waiting for me over there, i do plan to move there in the end, and apparently they want IT people over there because computers are written in English so they need English engineers... so i may do better over there than here, plus they are not hit as bad because they are not an American humping country like ours.

Dump this crappy country and go to sweden, for every job here you're fighting 50 immigrants and when you do get a job the govt. just taxes the s*** outta you. You can always come back and visit your friends, if you don't go live in another country now you might not get another chance

i am starting to think that way mate. i signed on today, and for all the tax i have paid, i get practically nothing back, i do hate this country, i mean some places here are beautiful, some people are awesome, but the rest of it is crap. and that is true, i can get flights for as little as 75p some times!

I think it'll take as long as it takes for this recession to finish, have you checked Jobs center, (Daily), Fish4Jobs or Reed Employment I've got a job but money is rubbish and is getting worse as they've cut my overtime, my car is off the road and not insured at the moment.

agreed, if i could see an end to it i would hold out, but there is no reason for it to stop. i check the job centre website along with jobsite, reed, monster, totaljobs, and fish4jobs as well as the papers and local businesses, i don't think the world needs anyone with IT or Mecanical skills right now....

he has 4 and a half. 3 are taxed, moted and insured (the cab being an import costs as much as the other 2 put together to insure iirc)

I dunno what to say NeX but If you decide to go then I'll help you with the cars etc. Difficult decision but as said, your choice in the end mate.

exactly, cars are expensive just because of things like tax and insurance, not an issue in some conuntries. something about England having the highest fuel costs puts me off too.

thanks mate thats really awesome, and actually that would be a big help, if i go ahead with it i need some drivers to get the cars to kent. i suppose anything i leave behind you can have first dibs on. the project car maybe headed for the scrapyard....

tho i am thinking about shipping two, keeping the cab here, using the last of the money to enjoy that, then finding an off the road place for one car wouldn't be too hard, then save up £500 and ship it at a later date... or even drive the mo fo!

Lol, well if you do go then you HAVE to come back for JAE, I will add you to the insurance of the SLX and you can bring that!

Lol, well if you do go then you HAVE to come back for JAE, I will add you to the insurance of the SLX and you can bring that!

hahaha! now that is a deal ;) if i wasn't so totally on the limit of money then i would buy the JAE ticket right now ;) tho i do have a birthday coming up lol i will get someone else to pay for it lol

have you tried your local gumtree for jobs?
i know how difficult it is to find a job right now as im 18 and only have one part time job (12hrs a week) thankfully my boss is an exelent guy and any overtime gets thrown my way
hope everthing works out for you the way you want it to and you dont have to haistfully sell off your micras

oh thats a crappy situation to be in! must feel awfull thinking you might have to sell some of your cars that you love so much. Would you be able to cope in sweden, not speaking the language, not knowing anything basically, you would feel like a complete outsider...not trying to put you off, just my opinion ;)

anyways, best of luck...whatever you choose to do (Y)

Could you not start testing the waters for Swedish jobs? If you could get yourself set up, then you could be quids in?

Tis not a pretty situation which you are in :(

I realise its easier said than done but moving away will give you an amazing fresh start which is usually a good thing, i say if you have a chance to make a change do it, whatever happens its a good story to tell and everyone should have stories.!!! :D, and if you have a bonus of your gf's parents helping you out for a few months its the a good start. have you lived there before?
not that I know anything about you but if i had the chance id say sweeden FTW. but whatever happens I hope it all works out for ya mate.... and the micras :D

have you tried your local gumtree for jobs?
i know how difficult it is to find a job right now as im 18 and only have one part time job (12hrs a week) thankfully my boss is an exelent guy and any overtime gets thrown my way
hope everthing works out for you the way you want it to and you dont have to haistfully sell off your micras

gumtree?

yea i just want anything really just to bring in a little bit of money,

thanks mate i am sure it will all work out, these things always do.

oh thats a crappy situation to be in! must feel awfull thinking you might have to sell some of your cars that you love so much. Would you be able to cope in sweden, not speaking the language, not knowing anything basically, you would feel like a complete outsider...not trying to put you off, just my opinion ;)

anyways, best of luck...whatever you choose to do (Y)

yea i know, it does feel very crappy,

well over in Sweden they are taught English from the age of 4 so most people speak it, i have been over there loads of times and know my way around and i have driven around there as well, but it would still be weird, i don't know any of the laws out there, or where to get anything.

thanks mate, we will see how things go

Could you not start testing the waters for Swedish jobs? If you could get yourself set up, then you could be quids in?

Tis not a pretty situation which you are in :(

on it right now, just getting some people over there to do some searches of the local area, then i will go over there anyway in a few weeks and look myself, hopefully there will be something, they might favour me for being an outsider, if they turn me down it might look like they are doing that because i am English... at least thats how it would work in this country.

its not but we will see.

I realise its easier said than done but moving away will give you an amazing fresh start which is usually a good thing, i say if you have a chance to make a change do it, whatever happens its a good story to tell and everyone should have stories.!!! :D, and if you have a bonus of your gf's parents helping you out for a few months its the a good start. have you lived there before?
not that I know anything about you but if i had the chance id say sweeden FTW. but whatever happens I hope it all works out for ya mate.... and the micras :D

thats what i was thinking, tho i have been planning to move there i am just being pushed a little early before i am ready which is what the problem is,

i have been over there several times, i do know the local area and roads etc so its not so bad.

i am starting to think that way too, thanks i think it will be all alright :)

dont know mate its not a easy to think which will be better? are you claiming job seekers allowance. hope it works out for you.

dont know mate its not a easy to think which will be better? are you claiming job seekers allowance. hope it works out for you.

yea i know, i am claiming but it really is pennies,

thanks mate, i think its gonna be ok

If you can get a job sorted before moving, Sweden sounds like an adventure. You would have to be brave to spend what you have saved getting set up somewhere with no guarantee of being better off. I don't know how the benefits work in Sweden, or England either really. I presume you would not be eligible for any support whilst looking for a job in Sweden?

Difficult decision matey, take your time in deciding. No point going over there if you can't find a job. It's also a pretty expensive place to live is it not?

Definately don't tax,mot and insure 3+ cars though, that must be costing a bomb! At least get a trade insurance policy!!!

If you can get a job sorted before moving, Sweden sounds like an adventure. You would have to be brave to spend what you have saved getting set up somewhere with no guarantee of being better off. I don't know how the benefits work in Sweden, or England either really. I presume you would not be eligible for any support whilst looking for a job in Sweden?

yea it is an adventure and i have always planned to move there at some point but i didn't want to go right now. and i don't see it as brave really because if i have no job i am screwed it doesn't matter what country i'm in.

Sweden is pretty good for benifits actually. for example i get free Swedish lessons if i go there :D and i am allowed support because they are part of the EU

Difficult decision matey, take your time in deciding. No point going over there if you can't find a job. It's also a pretty expensive place to live is it not?

Definately don't tax,mot and insure 3+ cars though, that must be costing a bomb! At least get a trade insurance policy!!!

yea i am gonna try and work this one out as carefully as possible, but i still have a dead line which is putting pressure on me.

there is enough reason to go there even if i can't find a job, but i don't think i will get a job here.

its not actually more expensive, just alcohol is more expensive so it feels like its more expensive lol, but for someone who doesn't drink that makes it ok ;) houses are dirt cheap over there tho, £180k will get you 6 beds and a sauna by the sea with a few acres of land too :D

well the cars work out at about £500 each per year to keep on the road, not including fuel, so its not that bad.

aye search google for "gumtree" then click on your local area (Y)

awesome will do ;)

Back