Strange start up behaviour.

Hello MSC,

Long time since I have posted but had an interesting issue today and was wondering if it was normal.

I tried to start the car tonight it has been worked since Thursday and it was cranking but would not start and the cigarette lighter light was flickering. So it appears the battery had gone flat to my untrained eye.

I connected up a small enegineerzier jump starter/powerbank thing and it did not sound any better and tried a few times I made sure it had a good connection but still nothing. In the end I put my foot hard down on the throttle started it and after a few cranks it came to life and left it running for half an hour before shutting it down and checking the battery voltage which read 14.6v

It has been starting first time no problem ever since

My question is, is it normal to need to our your foot hard down when jump starting as I have never had this before and it did sound very lively when been jumped

And my other question is would you consider it normal for the battery to drain when unused since Thursday. I would say not but my neighbor who was with me says it is.

I would be greatful for any help you could provide as I have only had the car since November but never had any mechanical or electrical problems (except for the wiper linkages) till today.

Thanks
Jake

Sent from my CPH1921 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

To me it sounds like your engine may have flooded and the battery was fine, if a little low

13.9-14.6v is what the battery will read when the alternator is running, or for an hour or so after the car has been shut off and won't be an accurate reading for the amount of charge in the battery. Try to measure the voltage before you set off in the morning, normal numbers are above 11.9

Normal storage on your battery is anywhere from 12.6 at the higher end, 12.45 is what they're stored at on the shelf, and your alternator should really be maintaining your battery above 12.2 with normal driving

They do self discharge while the car isn't moving. In the sort of weather we have been having (10c) the self discharge should be around 0.25% per day. In 1 week you will lose 1.75% of your battery which is not significant. In summer they discharge faster while sitting still