Girlfriend's Micra is smelly

B210Bandit

Ex. Club Member
Was driving behind her the other day and noticed that the exhaust smells damn rich. Not quite unburned petrol but not far off it. Never really noticed it before but wondering if there are some basic checks/adjustments I can do. Servicing is up to date, not messed with the carb or the fuel/air mixture. Something interesting is that the car will always start with just a slight turn of the key, even if sat for ages, and the autochoke stays on pretty high until you tap the pedal a few times and it settles down to fairly normal revs. Could that "instant start" be a sign of a rich mixture, or just supreme Nissan engineering?

if its like smelly egg then the cat converter is burnt out

if its like rich exhaust fume then either the lambda is worn, ecu coolant sensor is worn, idle control valve is sticky or the high idle waxstat mechanism is seizing

If it's a 1.0L then it's perfectly normal for it to smell gassy, they don't burn all their fuel like the 1.2's do. The keen starting and and high revs on cold are a sign of a perfectly adjusted choke, and you are actually supposed to dab the gas pedal to knock the choke off pretty much straight after starting (about 5secs after).

Things to check;

Check that the air filter is clean, k10's tend to be a bit fussy about those. If the filter aint nice and clean the motor will feel a little chocked up and your fuel economy will start to plummet.

Vaccum Lines. Check them for cracks, splits or leaks. Especially the bi-metal valve line (conneting to the bottom driver's side of airbox), a leak there can cause unstable iding and hesitation when pulling away from a stop.

Generally though, if it runs fine and isn't guzzling fuel then i would honestly leave it well alone. As i said it's perfectly normal for 1.0L's to smell rich and gassy, that's how they run, they don't have cats to alter the emmisions (only some 1.2's had cats; SLX, Super S & special order models). Doing unnessasery work on a perfectly fine K10 is like opening pandora's box, i can tell you that as someone who opened that box many years ago.

The egg smell that pollyp mentioned is caused by a high level of sulphur in the exhuast gas. Which is caused by using poor quality fuel, or by using old fuel (i.e it's been sitting in the tank for a month or so). This can be given off by cat and non-cat cars and has no known effect on the exhaust system. It can easily be cured by switching fuel brands and giving the car a good long cruise on the motorway at a nice steady 60-65 for around 30mins.

Thanks all. Everything is ok, I think. No egg smell, just a bit rich like my Datsun. Fuel economy is excellent so no issues there. I shall leave it well alone.

My K10 is exactly the same as this, I can drive it for a good 10 minutes and the autochoke will still cause it to rev, then suddenly it drops down to a nice idle. Smells very gassy too so I'm relieved it's not only me!

Back