Car not "Creeping" when "D" or "R" is selected

Hello again chaps,
After getting the front brake problem on my wifes 1.3 micra auto sorted..new calipers both sides....I now have another problem...when either drive or reverse is selected the car wont creep at all..it stays stock still. Ive checked the rear brakes for binding and they are totally free..the front have just been renewed and are likewise.
I noticed that there was a fair amount of slack on the throttle cable so I adjusted it to take it up...but not to much as to take the cam off the Idle stop screw...this made no difference.
I then adjusted the idle control valve (as per instruction)...this also made no difference.
Now bear in mind I do not have a Rev counter/Tacho fitted..nor a hand held one so everything was done by ear.
Very slight pressure on the pedal does make the car "Creep" but I feel that the revs are too high, Im saying to high in comparison to our other Automatics that weve had/have,
Any advice on this would be most welcome before I take it off to my local Garage,
Regards,
Steve.

the earlier type had iron filings/magnetic clutch steve, and they tire over time apparently, as do the carbon brushes :)
Wow...never heard of that before ..now Im more confused...The fluid is nice and clean Redish...not brown..it drive great other than it not creeping..and as the wife is learning in it I get a little worrie that she may just give it to much gas..oh dear doesnt bear thinking about...ha ha..its fast off the mark no slipping on changing...so now I will go and beat my head against its bumper a few times....lol...

Hello Steve, both of my auto's behave the same as yours, so for me its normal.
I've had plenty of auto's, and the micras we've had require a bit of throttle to get them moving, certainly mine have no creep without throttle. Sounds fine to me.

Hello Steve, both of my auto's behave the same as yours, so for me its normal.
I've had plenty of auto's, and the micras we've had require a bit of throttle to get them moving, certainly mine have no creep without throttle. Sounds fine to me.
Thanks for the Info Daveyboy...thats very reassuring mate and I can now stop tearing my hair out...whats left of it....amazing how we judge other cars behaviour to the others weve had...mine have always had a creep on selection...once again ...thanks for the help,
regards,
Steve.

Wow...never heard of that before ..now Im more confused...The fluid is nice and clean Redish...not brown..it drive great other than it not creeping..and as the wife is learning in it I get a little worrie that she may just give it to much gas..oh dear doesnt bear thinking about...ha ha..its fast off the mark no slipping on changing...so now I will go and beat my head against its bumper a few times....lol...

you investigated the idle valve? in manuals it keeps revs up i gear ???
Yes I have r-reg....I found the way to do it on one of the forums alas it made no difference.... apart from the idle being too high out of gear...yet when I returned it to what sounded right again I only need slight pressure on the gas and the car moves off great...back to the original settings...with the slack taken out of the cable of course...the bushes will be the next port of call...Thank you very much for your response
Regards,
Steve.

Trust me Steve, your cars working fine. I've had 8 autos, two of them being micras. When I first jumped into the first one the auto on these seemed strange, not at all like what I had been used to, because they are cvt (constant velocity transmission ...I think) they work differently to other boxes, no real perceptive gear changes, no grab in drive or reverse, they roll back or forward on a slope, it seems strange at first but you soon get used to it. Just enjoy your new motor, nothing to look for in my opinion.

Trust me Steve, your cars working fine. I've had 8 autos, two of them being micras. When I first jumped into the first one the auto on these seemed strange, not at all like what I had been used to, because they are cvt (constant velocity transmission ...I think) they work differently to other boxes, no real perceptive gear changes, no grab in drive or reverse, they roll back or forward on a slope, it seems strange at first but you soon get used to it. Just enjoy your new motor, nothing to look for in my opinion.
Thank you Davyboy...youve put my mind at rest now...I wondered what "CVT"meant...it all makes sense now...My own car is a 95 Merc C280 Elegance Auto...so Im imagining that the Micra should also "Creep" like that one does :rolleyes:...The wife drove the Micra to work this morning no problem at all..seems that taking the slack out of the accelerator cable has helped her judge the reaction to gas when she presses it...and it runs very sweet and quiet...so thank you very much my friend,
Regards,
Steve.

Thank you Davyboy...youve put my mind at rest now...I wondered what "CVT"meant...it all makes sense now...My own car is a 95 Merc C280 Elegance Auto...so Im imagining that the Micra should also "Creep" like that one does :rolleyes:...The wife drove the Micra to work this morning no problem at all..seems that taking the slack out of the accelerator cable has helped her judge the reaction to gas when she presses it...and it runs very sweet and quiet...so thank you very much my friend,
Regards,
Steve.
WHAT!!!!! you're driving a scrapper, and your missus has the quality wheels - needs sorting that.;)

WHAT!!!!! you're driving a scrapper, and your missus has the quality wheels - needs sorting that.;)
Ha ha...sorry for the delay in respond Davyboy..been very busy....But I will admit I have been driving her car more than mine since she got it...I love it..its so nippy and great fun to drive...
Steve

Ha ha...sorry for the delay in respond Davyboy..been very busy....But I will admit I have been driving her car more than mine since she got it...I love it..its so nippy and great fun to drive...
Steve
Exactly the same as me Steve, drove Jaguars for 30 years...not now! these little things are the bee's knee's. get a 1.4 and be really amazed, I am every day. Here's one for you - whats a petrol station look like - forgot what they look like LOL;)

Exactly the same as me Steve, drove Jaguars for 30 years...not now! these little things are the bee's knee's. get a 1.4 and be really amazed, I am every day. Here's one for you - whats a petrol station look like - forgot what they look like LOL;)
Ouch!...I see the petrol station a lot mate....it loves me....unfortunately it sees me in both cars...mine a lot more than the wifes....I get christmas cards off my local one...lol...but I dont want to tempt fate with my Merc..ha ha...watch it blow up now!!!....
Steve,

Ouch!...I see the petrol station a lot mate....it loves me....unfortunately it sees me in both cars...mine a lot more than the wifes....I get christmas cards off my local one...lol...but I dont want to tempt fate with my Merc..ha ha...watch it blow up now!!!....
Steve,
Ha, ha, and I thought I was the only one who filled up his car and the wife's. Who said its a mans world?????

Back