front xmember

well as you know in my blog, i spied some unsightly rust on it :( this was a few weeks ago. someone said 'chances are its a got a big hole in it if its original...' or summat to that effect and guess what. it has :(

so iv looked on egay, found one, which is good, but my question is, does it have to be welded on?

i ask this cause after scanning other peoples blogs, lookin at there pics ect, a few have bolted them on. But my friend, and trusty semi qualified mechanic, says that it has to be welded on, not bolted. but it doesnt matter if its welded or bolted when it comes down to its mot, as its not load bearing.

now im doin mechanics my self(may come as a surprise seein as how little i know) and i dont really know the answer lol. so yea any help would be appreciated. i have another friend who knows how to weld and he said he'l do the welding for me so iv got that sorted if i need it.

yes has to be welded. it supports the radiator and restrains the engine

i got a whole new front panel off ebay for £50
155lo.jpg

and got a local bodyshop to properly spotweld it on for £200
226.jpg

weird, mine has only just started to get rusty and its older... is this more common on the k11's?

mind you haven't checked under the bumper area properly yet....

It is a lot easier just to replace the crossmember than the whole front panel.
I couldn't find a separate one for our facelift K11, so took it off of the new front panel. £35 I think 2 or 3 years ago.

I didn't weld the new crossmember on. It has multiple large bolts securing it to the chassis and it sits up against the chassis legs.

Back