• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Everyone loves Boost!

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
I miss having a fun car and me and a mate got talking about small cars well under 1000kg that could be turbocharged and we got talking about Micra's as we both used to work for Nissan.
So few months later and...........

Stage 2 T3 turbo with 3" boost piping, SR20DET fuel rail/injectors :thumbs: :lol

Finally got 95% of the bits i need..... need to get few more bits like a wideband and gauge and suss the fueling out.

But here is a little teaser anyway

IMAG2268.jpg

IMAG2267.jpg

IMAG2266.jpg

IMAG2265.jpg

IMAG2264.jpg
:

I recognise that intercooler, pretty sure I did some work on it:D did you get martins old turbo stuff then? Looking forward to seeing more!

Yes mate i think it was his.

I did send him a few messages about it but never heard back.

Will probably change the intercooler as it doesnt look great and im sure it wont fit without moving bits.

What did you do on it anyway?

May seem impressive but it has to go good at the end of the day :p once its mapped time will tell lol and cheers cannot wait, just waiting for the phonecall :D

May seem impressive but it has to go good at the end of the day :p once its mapped time will tell lol and cheers cannot wait, just waiting for the phonecall :D

Im still ummming and arrrring about mapping.

I have 2 options available to me at moment. I have a decent 5th injector controller to use or ill fit the sr20det rail/injectors and run a rising rate FPR.

If none of them end up doing what i want ill probably go down the route of megasquirt.

Ive been umming an arring about mapping since 2008 when i had my first turbo micra lol but this time its getting done, the engine i built which is fitted has been running sweet for nearly 3 months now unmapped not giving it full throttle etc. and now ive got the wideband i can see what how its running which is handy

Ive been umming an arring about mapping since 2008 when i had my first turbo micra lol but this time its getting done, the engine i built which is fitted has been running sweet for nearly 3 months now unmapped not giving it full throttle etc. and now ive got the wideband i can see what how its running which is handy

How are you running your fueling a the moment and what PSI you running?

I too am hopefully joining this club soonish rather then later, got a GT15 in real good shape just needing a clean out, when i start working on the setup though i recon the hardest thing will be ballancing the fueling for me o_O i'd have no clue where to start!

How are you running your fueling a the moment and what PSI you running?

Im using ga16 injectors at the moment, it runs rich while driving normally and goes lean if i come on boost. Have rb25 injectors and a bigger fuel pump to be fitted when i take it for mapping

Fuel psi? Just standard regulator
Boost psi? I dont know as i havent taken it to full boost yet....

I meant boost PSI.

Im planning on sticking around 7psi.

Your running the ga16 injectors with the normal micra FPR?

Im looking at using either the ga16 injectors with another as a 5th injector or the SR20DET injectors and rail with rising rate FPR. Just not sure whats gonna give me best results.... might just have to do both and see what happens, i have just won an almera in tank fuel pump on Ebay so fuel delivery wise im ok now just need to decide what way to inject. :)

I too am hopefully joining this club soonish rather then later, got a GT15 in real good shape just needing a clean out, when i start working on the setup though i recon the hardest thing will be ballancing the fueling for me o_O i'd have no clue where to start!

Ill be doing some trial and error matey.... best way!

I meant boost PSI.

Im planning on sticking around 7psi.

Your running the ga16 injectors with the normal micra FPR?

Im looking at using either the ga16 injectors with another as a 5th injector or the SR20DET injectors and rail with rising rate FPR. Just not sure whats gonna give me best results.... might just have to do both and see what happens, i have just won an almera in tank fuel pump on Ebay so fuel delivery wise im ok now just need to decide what way to inject. :)

I plan to run 10-14psi maybe more if i get bored. And yeah stock regulator with ga16 injectors at the moment, ill be using the RB regulator with my RB rail though as its supposed to be 42psi stock pressure.

Im using GA16 injectors, rising rate fpr and uprated fuel pump. Never had any lean issues at all running about 8psi, the mapping will have a lot to do with that though :)

Im using GA16 injectors, rising rate fpr and uprated fuel pump. Never had any lean issues at all running about 8psi, the mapping will have a lot to do with that though :)

What are you running management wise? Nistune?

What are you running management wise? Nistune?

nah emanage blue (aquired it pretty cheap a few years back)...only real issue i've found using it is the stock ecu and lambda put up a fight (as in screws with your adjustments). Clipping the lambda seems to be the only easy way of getting it to do as its told haha. Theres probably a more correct approach to that issue, but it was a temp measure while i found a way around it, just happens it seems to become slightly more permanent (probably because its making 14.7's on idle and cruise with no issues). :D

Stripped the T3 down today to start the rebuild, found this on the exhaust housing.

Heard about T3's cracking but cant decide whether to get another housing of another T3 or a larger housing whiles its apart.

548194_10151876135705029_153676809_n.jpg

Little update

Bought the car finally after constantly getting mess around, i was willing to travel anywhere for a decent one. Found this one in Cheshunt - 2 hour train ride later and it was mine

1.3 Si :)

IMAG0111.jpg

Any yesterday ordered this from Latvia - arrived today! Hows that for delivery service!

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

So now i have most the bits i need i started cleaning up the mess matinb made of the manifold and turbo

The manifold looked awful - So rushed, the space between the turbo flange and the one martin welded on was just full of lumpy bumpy weld. No attempt to smooth it for airflow or anything. ive spent about 2 hours so far smoothing it and matching the ports to the flanges - This is as far as i got today

IMAG0116.jpg

Also ordered an Apexi Neo this morning too... hopefully that will be here by the weekend.

Will be taking the downpipe to work tommorow to weld the boss in for the wideband and wrap it in exhaust wrap... thats pretty much as far as i got this week :)

Boost gauge arrived this morning :)

Booked saturday off work... so hopefully by sunday it will be running :)

So it began!
Booked today off work.... little bit of a lay in and started about 10 ish :)
Standard.... never to be the same again :)
IMAG0148.jpg

Drilled a hole for the wideband. The chap i got the exhaust off did the other welding... pretty **** but not blowing so going to leave it as its gonna be heat wrapped
IMAG0132.jpg

Bumper off, the crossmember is getting replaced next weekend as has 3-4 holes and is pretty rusty, also had a little bump at some point because the crash bar is bent back slightly.
IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

New gaskets and studs
IMAG0151.jpg

Manifold on
IMAG0152.jpg

Turbo bolted on and actuator preload set
IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

Rad off and rad fan off too. I have a bigger Almera GTI rad and twin fan but doesnt look like there will be enough room with the turbo
Need to chop down the boost pipe on the throttle body as its too high and catched on the bonnet
IMAG0155.jpg

Started routing the boost hoses
IMAG0156.jpg

Cut to the lower headlamp panel to allow for the big old boost hoses. The crossmember will be
replaced next week so this cut out bit will be seam sealed and welded up.
Intercooler on
IMAG0158.jpg

Micra fan (yellow) and the Almera one, had 2 fans in one housing so cut them apart and checked which was the high speed fan and used that one. Later on when i put the down pipe on i had to cut more of the housing for the fan as the downpipe was catching on it. Will wrap the downpipe as its very close to radiator.
IMAG0159.jpg

Almost back together - Moved the other horn to the other side of the boost piping as i quite like the noise of the micra horn.... in a weird way :)
IMAG0161.jpg

Pretty much how i left it.
IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

The mess :(
IMAG0164.jpg

All thats left for tommorow is fit my sump with the oil return in and wire in wideband, boost gauge, oil gauge and wire in and program the Apexi Neo SAFC
IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

Nice one Rob. I have next weekend booked off for a similar reason;)
Whats your plan for the exhaust, or do you have that sorted now?

Got completely rained on today. Had all my tools in and out of nowhere came a monsoon! Got soaked.... anyway.

Got the Apexi installed and reading, found out the SR20DET rail that Martin B had bodged was pee-ing out fuel so that got binned and i fitted the GA16 injectors from my spare engine.

Got the fuel pressure regulator plumbed in, fitted the modified sump with the oil return in as well.

Only need to make the exhaust really and fill up with oil/coolant and tidy up some hoses ETC....

Few questions tho.

1) Does removing the fuel tank vent valve help me in any way or just for a bit more space?
2) By passing the TB coolant hoses... can i do just that or do i need to disconnect the wax-stat as well?
3) Where can i route extra wires from the engine bay into the cabin?
4) Whats the pipe coming out of the top of the gearbox that goes up to near where the airbox would be?

Cheers rob

the charcoal canister rob ?
and i blanked off my t/b pipes (blocked them at source)
and i use the big rubber grommet in the bulkhead, near the fuelpipes

Yeah the charcoal canister.

I saw the two fat grommets but couldnt get to them from the inside behind the glove box.

1. Cant comment on advantages to removing, i relocated mine to give a bit of space.
2. Wax-stat i believe would need disconnecting and TB may need adjusting.
3. Best best following the main loom, they'll take you to the big grommets (behind the wings)...but any on the firewall will take you to the cabin. (depends where the wires are really.) :)
4. Breather pipe.

Thanks matey, gonna remove it as its ugly and in the way of where i want to put the FPR. :)

Hey rally rob :) just found your thread

Couple of points if I may

Fuel rail- it was never tested, I'm not suprised it leaked,I used an arc welder!!

The manifold was again with a arc welder, this was my first real attempt for welding so it really wasn't gonna be very good

How much did you pay for this?

Really though didn't you look at the quality of my poor workmanship before you bought the kit?

Your also gonna have problems with the apexi as far as I can remember as the ecu keeps trying to override the settings, unless you can override them with an o2 clamp?

I hope you can get this working properly

As for me my welding has come on for leaps and bounds. I Used totally the wrong rods and ampage hence the blobby poo welds

Good luck mate

Hey rally rob
Good luck mate

Hey matey.

Wasnt critising your welding matey, i expected the rail to leak... to be honest i was hoping it wouldnt so i could just leave it fitted but its now all grinded down ready for me to re weld it. No issues there.

I bought the turbo kit with all the bits you had i guess other than it was missing a few hoses/clamps etc etc and bought a GA16 engine and box and Almera GTI seats off the same guy.

I think i got a good deal..... but tell me how much you sold it for first :)

Rather not say on here for resale purposes, I broke even but that doesn't encounter the many hours I spent working on it

If I did it again (which I have) the welds would be a lot smoother, at the moment I'm just awaiting few bits to make downpipe. Problem I had with that was the size of the electrodes, I was using 3mm rods and it just kept burning through so I'd turn the ampage down and then it created bird poo welds :(

The fuel rail should fit fine but it will need brazing or doing properly, you'll also notice although the v band outlet is for a t3, it wasn't perfect for a ford t3 I think it was for a generic eBay turbo t3 but it works

I only sold the kit as I had had enough of micras and fudging about with them, moved on to fudging around with other cars now lol

Keep the intercooler setup it will aid in faster spool up times, also I would suggest contining in 2.5" at least for the downpipe. In fact where is the downpipe? I'm sure that went with it?

Wish you luck in completing something I just couldn't afford to do !!

If you lose hope, YouTube starlet t3, it will make you smile ;)

Good luck bro

Car all done :)

Even had time today to fit a new crossmember.

Boosting at 5psi at the moment. Love it!!

Running so so sweet now!

Back