• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Jabran's Micra Z turbo Project.

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
Allright thought I might as well get a blog started since I am going to be making a major chnage to the micra soon(ish).

Lets start off with the pictures as I got it, the scrapes etc were done by the previous which really let it down but will be sorted soon as I have a new bumper and wing ready to go once I get them spray them sprayed and colour code the car.

DSC00175.jpg

I did decided to paint tthe steels BMW grey though as they were rusted up and looked nasty.

DSC00229.jpg

I also have some wolfrace wheels 15" which are currently waiting to be sprayed bronze with a hint of pearl (need to get my brother to spray them this weekend hopefully).

Now onto the main thing and the reason why I started the bog is because after much thought and consideration I have decided to turbo the car and thanks to Davey C on here for the manifold and to Ed for helping remove the turbo from the manifold as me and Dave could not do it lol. Loved Daves Integra on the way to Ed's, the car is absolutely mint and very nice ride.

So far I have obtained for the turbo kit:
T25 turbo with oil lines
Manifold
1.6 primera fuel rail
Front mount intercooler
Field fuel controller
sandwhich plate with oil pressure and temp gauges with senders

Whats left as of today:
Intercooler and exhaust piping (buying it from local supplier)

I think thats it can't remeber what else right now, I think i have missed a few things out but the main bits are there. Suspension and brake bits are also in process ( Pulsar brakes maybe or N15 brakes)

Will post pictures once my main PC is back online (damn motherboards fried).

If I have the piping by this sunday then I will start fabricating the piping for the intercooler this sunday if I get time.

Thanks for looking and comments and advice welcome.

The Primera fuel rail is of no use to you - you will have to take the injectors out and put them in the Micra one as the injector spacing is different, what are you doing about management, just a fuel controller?

Yeh I was only gonna use the injectors but thats just my parts list. Yeh Only the fuel controller for now and it held up pretty well on a turbo mx5 so should be allright and few people have run turbos just on these as well so didnt see why it wouldn't work on a basic setup like this.

Argh waiting for delivery on my turbo so i can see what size the dowpipe is and finally order piping i am thinking of using 2" for bot the exhaust and intercooler what do you guys think?

O.k some updates on progress.

I have got the piping now, 2" (8 metres) for both the intercooler and exhaust as the exhaust downpipe measures 2" and so does the intercooler so I didn't see a reason for going bigger then the sies on intercooler inlet/outlet and downpipe. I may get a start on welding the exhaust system nad put the turbo on blowing to atmosphere.

Also on saturday I will get the oil lines to fit from sandwhich plate to the turbo and pipe+bung to go back and to the sump so if that is done and there are chances of having and exhaust system completly welded up by sunday then I will have a mcira with all the turbo sound etc and no go lol.

I think I should be done by christmas at the latest.

Jabran.

Some progress was made today. Removed the sump and welded an oil return pipe and fitted back on.

Fitted the sandwhich plate and the oil temp sensor to it and also a teflon hose with 1/8 fittings on both sides to create an extension as the pressure sensor will not fit directly on to the sandwhich plate, this will be the oil feed to the turbo with the use of a t piece.

Blocked of the return pipe but fitting a long hose to it and clamping it down and then fitted a bolt to the other end just incase.

Had to leave the car at the garage today as the c.v boots are gone so my brother may do it in the morning if hes not busy otherwise he'll order the parts and I willl do it once IU get back from uni.

Well thats it for today really, did consider fitting the and running welding a connection from downpipe to original exhaust but decided against it I would have just waisted pipe.

Plan for next week fit manifold + turbo and weld exhaust as the oil lines are there etc just a matter of getting them on the turbo so the fiddly bit is out of the way. May even get some intercooler piping doen if my reducer hoses arrive but will defiantely mount the intercooler in its place.

O.k sorry guys but i have been busy so no recent updates but I do have a few pictures to show etc of my setup etc so lets begin.

Just to show you guys my allows which I am refurbishing, had to grind them a lot to get rid of the curbing which the previous owner made.

wheels3.jpg

wheels2.jpg

Primered and looking good

wheels5.jpg

wheels4.jpg

The final coat is yet to be done lol, my bro is the sprayer and he has a lot of work right now so I have delayed the spraying of them. Gonna be a metallic bronze with some pearl in it.

My manifold (thanks to Davey C) This is the same one that was use din reverbs car in Australia.
manifold.jpg

My intercooler, has quite a few bent fins which I will try and straighten out as much as possible.
intercooler.jpg

The Injectors from the primer (thanks to Davey C again).

injectors.jpg

My oil pressure and oil temp gauges in thei temporary positions. Considering fitting them flush fit against the back of the dash if there is enough space.

gauges.jpg

T25 Turbo with adjustable waste gate.
cef1_1.jpg

Well progress wise I have fabricated the downpipe up to the sump and 90 degree bend will have to weld on a bung from the lamda sensor as well.

I also fitted the air fuel controller and I am tuning ti for economy at the moment until turbo is fitted and then I will use one of the other memory saves for a power map.
And for the initial tuning I will be doing via the launch X431 diagnostic my brother has which can adjust ignition, Timing and the fuel ratio amongst other things as will and it directly maps the ecu and then I will use the fuel controller to monitor things and make a refined map for high boost as well.

Thats it for now really. Let me know what you guys think, any comments etc. :)

And for the initial tuning I will be doing via the launch X431 diagnostic my brother has which can adjust ignition, Timing and the fuel ratio amongst other things as will and it directly maps the ecu

Just so you know, the X431 is not able to map a K11 ECU. It may beable to make basic changes (which are temporary) but no more than you could do over consult anyway.

Just and update. Fitted the manifold and turbo on today adn is workign well so I will be fabricating the exhaust system in the next few days and then on to the intercooler piping. After fitting I may not stick with this intercooler becasue of its design it will be hard for piping so quite possibly will go with a starlet top mount or much smaller fmic.

Are you not going to fit a 1.3 first?

No I don't see a reason to until it dies because it would be chucked out anyway so is good to tweak and perfect my setup untill i am ready to throw in a 1.3.

@ frank

Progress is actually behind 3 weeks as I was unable to obtain an oil adaptor as i stupidly lost my original one. I am hoping to have %80 of it done by the end of this week if not earlier as I now have got 3 weeks off uni!!!

If anything the intercooler setup may be a 3-4 psi direct feed (with fueling mods to make sure its safe) as I am afraid the current intercooler may require some very complex routing and I am seriously addicted to boost lol so it will be direct fed similar in the way the HKS system is done.

I'll try and get pictures of the setup as soon as its done and I manage to find where my bro keeps his SLR camera:laugh:

oh and call me jabran lol the 200 is as random number.

Well I did try and they seemed to be permanent as you could save all the changes done but I'll look into it.

They definately wont be, and the device is a diagnostic tool, not a mapping tool.

jabran

apparently standard fueling is ok for upto 4 to 5 psi of boost, a multimeter wired to the lamda or an afr guage would be a must tho eh !
bring on those pics

They definately wont be, and the device is a diagnostic tool, not a mapping tool.

O.k well i'll take that aboard then and just use the fuel controller and run low psi until i can get an e-manage (not too long now i hope). Guess it was worth a shot.

@ frank

Yeh thats what I've been told as well but I already have a afr monitor built into my fuel controller although it is only a narrowband it will let me know if i am going lean and back off on the loud pedal.

Thanks for the input guys every little helps :cool:

e-manage should be ok, but the K11 has some traits to the stock ecu where you will never get it spot on (for example the stock acceleration enrichment)

Might be going top mount now just so that I can reduce as much pipework as possible. From experience I think the starlet top mount intercooler will be good enough upto around 1Bar which i may never run (knowing me I will once or twice lol to see what i get lol). This will help reduce lag etc and giving a much better feel to the car.

What do you guys think makes sense to me, downisde is will need to place some sort of ven so recommendations are accepted for a subtle looking scoop sorta like the one on the glanza/GT actually would be good but i cant find any.

can go top mount, your only enemy is heat soak from the engine...which as youve said youre thinking about getting around with a bonnet vent...you could always get the bonnet stamped??

For my sc project, ive used a Mr2 Turbo Intercooler...my thread has a pic i think, so you could see a rough size / dimension on the car plus its front mount, but your pipe work might make that option unavailable...but maybe worth a look as i got that one for £10 delivered. :)

Well I was hoping to have finsihed my exhaust by the sunday thats gone by but the mig welder ran out of gas lol when i was ready to complete the exhaust after tacking it and welding a few pipes it compeltly ran out and I really didnt like the quality of the welds so decided to wait until BOC is open again (tomorrow) so i might go and finsih tomorrow or maybe sunday at the latest.

On another note i have seen a set of stock Gtir calipers,discs and pads for a really good price and i am gonna go with the starlet tmic and fabricate a metal scoop.

And the injectors will be going on when the exhaust is finished as i will finally be able to drive it without it sounding like a truck.

jabran

apparently standard fueling is ok for upto 4 to 5 psi of boost, a multimeter wired to the lamda or an afr guage would be a must tho eh !
bring on those pics

Frank where did you hear this? Its totally wrong. Also measuring from the stock lamda is dangerously misleading, not to mention useless.

May I point out that anyone who followed the above advice would result in a melted engine pretty quickly.

"quote"

makes

Gold Coast
Austra

Re: Turbo Kits and their worth......
Fri 27 Jan 2006 06:38:25 PM
Hi "GTRHolic",

This looks like the basic HKS "bolt-on" kit for the GC13DE. This kit produces a maximum of about 4-5psi boost and is designed to work with the standard injectors, computer, fuel pump etc. In theory you should just be able to bolt it on and start driving around OK....

i,m not saying its 100% true tho

I wouldn't like to comment on that system since I have never seen one, but I can say from my own and others experience that it would not be safe, judging by what I have seen!, Heck, even people with normal low boost turbo conversions in the UK have all blown up their engines!

Well i myself have seen a 1.0 hks turbo kit yaris running stright into inlet turbo kit and ran fine and that kit contains a ahrd pipe from turbo to inlet,turbo and a manifold. The micra setup will be hardly different. The only cars they do provide this one by what i have seen is ones with closed loop operation. Greddy have simialr setup for the is200 and i have seen mazda supercharger kits which have the same concept and all of those don't have any engine management, they all have a blower and a pipe to the inlet.

However my setup will have bigger injectors+intercooler and at the very least right now a basic air fuel controller to keep it good.

You are correct, the K11 HKS kit didn't come with an intercooler but it did come with a Mini F-Con fuel controller. So if you want the engine to last make sure you use an additional fuel controller to sortthe fueling. Just because one car can get away with it without one doesn't mean all cars can. From seeing countless people blow K11 engines by trying to cut corners, this is an absolute necessity.

As Ed said, a piggyback on a K11 will never work properly. We spent a lot of time tuning my NA car, which some would argue fuelling is less critical on, and it never ran right. There are a few quirks which are not ideal, especially for a turbo setup. Piggybacks are always a compromise in our situation no matter what you are told by others.

havent had any progress as it is exam time so expect more updates next weekend as my exams finish on thursday.

On the engine management front I am most likely gonna be buying an AEM F/IC piggyback unit as it compensates for closed loop systems by having a map for the o2 sensor and has igniton retard upto 15 degrees and +/- 100% injector pulse width and onboard 25psi map sensor.

full feaures here.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

Jabs

af3f_1.JPG

Finally ended up on getting an impreza intercooler. I decided it was the best option as i already have an original sti later ship slim scoop and the recess so air will be directed directly into the intercoolre like in this picture

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/photo/mrt184.jpg

Gonna modify the inlet side tank and fit a 2 inch pipe direct into the inlet of the engine and make a pipe from turbo to the outlet (which will no be an inlet) of the intercooler.

On the engine management front I am most likely gonna be buying an AEM F/IC piggyback unit as it compensates for closed loop systems by having a map for the o2 sensor and has igniton retard upto 15 degrees and +/- 100% injector pulse width and onboard 25psi map sensor.

That system doesn't sound very good for a k11.

i'm not sure how much eds remaps are, but they can't be much more than that.

skimp on management on a turbocharged k11 and you will pay for it.

Well as of now I have an emanage gold with the ignition harness,usb+software and the main harness(injector harness on the way). Got a good deal so i took it.

This should really be sufficient to tune the car now. No skimping or nothing, unless someones gonna say this is crap as well now :laugh: .

not too long now frank, waititng on the intercooler but hopefully the i.c will be ready to go on sunday including the emanage beign wired in. So after that its a matter of getting it tuned.

Lol yeh i ahve been neglecting the pictures as i only have my k750i (hold head in shame) as a camera. Will try and borrow one this sunday and take lots of pictures.

Well got some images as requested. (taken from my phone)

My exhaust
DSC00040.jpg

The manifold and turbo
DSC00041-1.jpg

The emanage
DSC00043.jpg

checkout my custom main harness for it as it didnt come with one so i made one myself from a plug i had, this is the total kit for the emanage injector harness, main harness,ignition harness and the pressure sensor kit (images below) and the support software and usb cable (gifftech one i think)

My new LSU 4.2 wideband sensor and the greddy map sensor (the harness is not pictured)
DSC00044.jpg

cant wait for my wideband controller to arrive from canada so i can see the proper a/f ratio at the moment and do some datalogging.
Thanks for looking.:grinning:

Got my J.A.W (www.14point7.com) wideband yesterday and soldered it all together to discover that i bought a male to male cable and threw the packageing away so i was not able to test it. I ordered a usb to serial cable from eaby which should arrive on tuesday and then testign can begin of the emanage and the wideband togther and get some datalogs of my car as it is.

I have also been stuck on the intercooler front as i can't weld aluminium (lack of equipment) but i have found a solution for it which i will try tomorrow and i am pretty sure i will have a working intercooler tomorrow.

We got the skill just not the equipment lol. Well i heard about http://www.easyweld.com/ and thought i'd give it a shot as i heard a few good things about it.

It actaully turned out really good and is quite strong if not stronger then the base metal. Will post some pictures tomorrow. It's almost done just got to sort the short bit of piping ot go to the intercoolers inlet.

The cooler on top of the engine bay.
DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

The bonnet closes but its very tight but i can djsut the high of the bonnet on the front. When the scoop is made it won't be a problem anyway.

The welds are good and strong as well as air tight. We grinded some bits to smooth it and the metals belnd together with the welds and you can't tell the difference. Should be completely done this weekend and bolted up ready to go for tuning. Will try and also make the scoop as well, not going with the sti 6 bonnect scoop now thought as i think its just too generic so we are going to custom make one with some metal sheets.

Scoop will be something along these lines hopefully http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-L2...ryZ36677QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

let me know what you think and any other bonnet scoop recommendations(sp) must be roundish though to accent the micra body shape.

jabran

i like the intercooler!!
i think you should have a evo or a scooby looking hood.
may be a pulser.

also how are you puting your induction cone on. as in are you runing a pipe bown to the bumper or just a cone on the turbo..

i like the intercooler!!
i think you should have a evo or a scooby looking hood.
may be a pulser.

also how are you puting your induction cone on. as in are you runing a pipe bown to the bumper or just a cone on the turbo..

At the monet there is no cone, i have used really fine mesh and covered the turbos air feed to stop rocks etc getting in but allowing air to go through. I will be making a pipe that sits behind the drivers headlight maybe.

@ Craig

thats a very good read and give something to think about, thanks. However i think that their tmic suffered as they don't have a shroud goind directly to the intercooler as many of the factory cars with stock tmic have (starlets,impreza, gtir, warrior,prado etc)

Without a shroud air pressure drops as it reaches into the bay and is spread out rather then being forced through the coolers fins. And to creat an escape route for the air gong form the front of the car you can also raise the bonnet vent so air escapes faster. But using the findings from autospeed and usign a shroud i reckon they would have found a grater improvement in airflow through the cooler.

True, I think that they have shrouded it at some point, how much space is there between the IC and the top of the cam cover?
Craig

There is about an inch and only a tiny part of the cooler sits on top of the cover so its not all bad and by raising the rear of the bonnet it will allow a better route for the air from the front of the engien to escape to.

jabran

lol i know but we will see how it goes i'll measure the temps after long runs with those laser heats gun things.

Back