engine replacement 1litre to 1.3

Well as my title says. My friend has a 1litre Micra and his engine is gone! and now we are going for our first project by getting a 1.3 engine and putting that in but we wanted to know once we take the original engine out how would we time up the other engine because we are getting it from the scrapyard and is it difficult to do?

As about a year ago as some of you know we had to scrap my dads Toyota Carina E GTi because the timing wasan't right and the piston ring got melted to the piston. I don't want the same thing happen again!

Frank could you please tell me how to know if the timing is right once we get the engine in and the replace the timing chain?

Thanks any suggestions will help coz the micra is sitting at the my friends driveway at the moment and we are gonna start the project on the weekend!
Cheers

frank but i've been told if i'm taking the head off and then the bottom block then i will have to.
Unless we take the engine out using a hoist jack then i know there's no need!
correct me if im wrong frank?
thanks

you dont need a hoist mate, i always take the bumper off and hump the complete engine over the lower crossmember (on my lonesome lol) there,s loads of pics in my blog showing how :grinning:

the engines are dead light, i managed to carry one through my house and into the back garden on my own. With two people it would be easy... good luck with it mate!

i managed to lift my ST engine in, baring in mind it had both inlet exhaust, turbo and super charger still attatched and it was as light as a feather!

lol thanks everyone! Just one more question though.
You know the timing chain the thing it sitts on. That won't move will it while were taking the engine out?
and also could you run the 1litre ecu on the 1.3 just in curiosty we do have the 1.3 ecu! and is the wiring and everything the same?
Is there anything else i need to know guys?
Thanks alot!

depends on age of your 1 litre car, nats or non nats and same with the new donor engine, as far as im aware it will runn fine of the 1.3 ecu?

It's a 1995 ( N reg ) Hollywood. It dosen't have the nats.
and I think were not gonna bother touching the ecu even tho we do have the 1.3 ecu. unless if gives more power?
1 more question guys.
You know the timing chain the thing it sitts on. That won't move will it, while were taking the engine out?

honestly doing this conversion is so easy, take the 1.0ltr engine out, fit the flywheel and clutch from the 1.0ltr to the 1.3ltr. fit the 1.0ltr engine loom to the 1.3 engine, and then fit the 1.3 engine.

Everyone Thanks alot. We got it up and running! Seems abit quicker than before lol. ( not alot )
Wasan't even hard to do lol
Stani and frank much appreciated! :)

Back