another thread on 1litre power

rather than hi-jack justmadeit's thread i will make my own.

I had my micra 18 months and occasionly the emmisions sensor comes on despite it being replaced by a garage several times.
Anyway i want more power, i know a 1.3/1.4 would have that but my engines just hit 25k miles so its no where near nackered.

if i put better cams in, will it make the emisions sensor have a moan at me. i daren't change the manifold as thats where the sensors are. also if the cars performance is increased doesnt it fail the emmisions on an MOT as it gives out more dirt than a 1litre should?

I nearly bought a cat-back but as nowhere makes one to fit my bumper (facelift bumper) i cant be bothered.
If theres any small mods I can do, preferably without insurance increases please tell. I like the idea on better camshafts as no-one would ever know, but wether its a good idea or not im not sure as i got no idea how hard they are to fit

A lot of q's i know, thnx:k11motors

1.3 cams do fit and i believe provide more power, and a janspeed manifold has a fitting for the O2 sensor as far as I know, another performance enhancer would be a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox with a better air feed to it, do a search on these because its been covered loads of times.

i put 1.3 cams in my 1.0. made a noticeable difference especially after i modified the air intake too. it passed its MOT afterwards and never brought on the engine light....

check the clearances tho becuase i couldnt be arsed and it whined ever sinse...

going though a lot of oxygen sensors is it?

got coilpacks or ht leads?

if coil packs make sure you using the FR8DCX spark plugs and not BKR5E-11 spark plugs and your problems will disappear

1.0 + 1.3 cams + decent air intake + big hill on private road =

C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CRich%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CPhone%20Pics%5C115.jpg

canya explain a bit fordy im afraid im no expert:laugh: . the only mods to the engine is a k&n panel filter and i unplugged the cold air feed cos its pants and made it sound like a metro.
nly other stuf i done to the engine is new oil and oil fitler i nthe last week but surely that wouldnt make the light come on??

the light goes off after a while after starting up and comes on for a day or two about every 6 months. wierd. tbh i dont really wana tutch that sensor ever, but i doubt i lchange the exhuast as mentioned above i got a facelift bumper so no backbox fits

anyway how much power would 1.3 cams give? how much are they to buy? are they easy to fit i got a haynes manual and all the mechanic tools
ty 4 the quick replies

EDIT: that pic rlees isnt loading:(

canya explain a bit fordy im afraid im no expert:laugh: . the only mods to the engine is a k&n panel filter and i unplugged the cold air feed cos its pants and made it sound like a metro.
nly other stuf i done to the engine is new oil and oil fitler i nthe last week but surely that wouldnt make the light come on??

the light goes off after a while after starting up and comes on for a day or two about every 6 months. wierd. tbh i dont really wana tutch that sensor ever, but i doubt i lchange the exhuast as mentioned above i got a facelift bumper so no backbox fits

anyway how much power would 1.3 cams give? how much are they to buy? are they easy to fit i got a haynes manual and all the mechanic tools

EDIT: that pic rlees isnt loading:(

Is the ignition of your engine created by coil packs (square boxes on top of the engine) or distributor (squareish-round thing on the side of the engine which the HT leads connect 2

1.0 + 1.3 cams + decent air intake + big hill on private road =
Google images is useless!!!!

X-reg so it must be coilpacks. it could be the 2nd oxygen sensor that is giving you greif meaning that it could be one of two oxygen sensors that are playing up.

also it means if you put a janspeed manifold on you will have to live with your engine light being on perminatly (giving an error that the cat is missing).

that picture is jus my speedo reading 117mph lol

Picture:

29-115.jpg

i really would say its one of the two oxygen sensors or the cat...

really wish i could edit my posts :doh:

I'm 90% sure that the cams are not interchangeable between coil and non-coilpack engines due to something on the exhaust cam either being or not being there.

going though a lot of oxygen sensors is it?

got coilpacks or ht leads?

if coil packs make sure you using the FR8DCX spark plugs and not BKR5E-11 spark plugs and your problems will disappear

ahh i follow now. its got square things on the plugs with bosch printed on them
Here is a link to a pic i foun din google images, mine do NOT look like this http://www.gascarco.com/albums/album43/aaf.sized.jpg
you are saying that I could have the wrong plugs in there that could be causing my stupid light to come on? could ya provide me a link to the sort ya think i need, much appreciated.

I'm 90% sure that the cams are not interchangeable between coil and non-coilpack engines due to something on the exhaust cam either being or not being there.

you can put non-coilpack cams in a coilpack engine (i did this)

but not the other way round!!

theres a cut on the end of the exhaust cam for turning the dizzy round on the non-coilpack cams. doesnt matter if this is present or not in a coilpack engine.

ahh i follow now. its got square things on the plugs with bosch printed on them
Here is a link to a pic i foun din google images, mine do NOT look like this http://www.gascarco.com/albums/album43/aaf.sized.jpg
you are saying that I could have the wrong plugs in there that could be causing my stupid light to come on? could ya provide me a link to the sort ya think i need, much appreciated.

you need Bosch FR7DCX or FR8DCX (i think FR8 preferably)

nope :p NGK are for 1.0 and 1.3 before year 2000

and Bosch (FR7 or FR8) for 1.0 and 1.4 after year 2000.

FR7 is cold spark and FR8 is for hot spark. i dont know the difference or what it means but as far as i know it doesnt really matter.

FR7 is cold spark and FR8 is for hot spark. i dont know the difference or what it means but as far as i know it doesnt really matter.
High performance cars generally use cold plugs as those cars generate more heat. The difference is in the length of the ceramic sleeve you find on the plugs, cold ones have a very short sleeve hot ones have a longer sleeve. Hot plugs run hotter so they are often used in cars that are burning oil to burn off the deposits.

is there a website that sells standard nissan parts. i.e oil filter, cams, etc etc
as i when i got my oil filter i went to a nissan dealer myself

you want the FR8DCX spark plugs your nissan dealer should keep them in stock and make 100% they dont give you the ngk ones as they wear out to quickly on the coil pack engines causing faults

also i might not be the oxygen sensor at fault it might be the mass air flow sensor which from nissan is £500 but you can fit ones from a different nissan model

changing cams the right way is expensive, as you will need shims that you have to get from nissan and these are different thicknesses, each cam isnt 100% the same so you need to adjust the shims

hmmm not sure on the throttle body. wouldn't unplugging the air feed have made it throw up a fuss? it just does it once in a while cold air feed or not.
A friends merc throttle bottle sensor went and his car just wouldnt drive i hope its not that:doh:

es, but get them through Ed, he can sort you out with the shims, what else haveyou done to the engine?

Fordy: most ofthe time when putting 1.3 cams in, you'stay within standard tolerances so new shims aren't usually needed, or if they are you can swap them about to ge ### all sorted.

Back