Decarpeting Micra?

Hi

On the Micra I've acquired, the drivers side footwell has a small hole in the carpet, and it has come away from the door seals due to the previous owners bodge job of installing speaker cables and subsequently ripping it out.

I tried glueing the carpet down, but it came away within a day or so of usage, and is as loose as ever.

I'm thinking of ripping out the carpet on the drivers side, cutting away along all the joints, glueing them down securely, so it's just bare metal under my feet, and maybe sticking some smart footmats where the carpet was.

Has anyone done this, and if so how does it look?

Is there anything I should consider before removing the carpet?

Come to think of it, could I potentially buy the pre-moulded carpet from another micra, cut the drivers section out, and drop into my micra? Providing they're the same colour, I ain't too bothered about some visible joins along the edges?

Might as well get a whole new carpet. Don't think you can buy it in sections.

Have you considered laminate flooring?

Lol i was thinking of putting some marble tiles in there for that classic ancient greek look, but then thought the grouting issues around the centre console would be a nightmare lulz

Think I might duct tape the offending areas into place and take a trip to the scrappy in a week or so when I have some money and get a carpet.

I'm also after a parcel shelf and some speaker cable if anyone has these for sale?

after i fixed a minor leak into the passenger footwell following a monsoon, i just ripped out the soaked carpet & firewall insulation lining since it would only get mouldy n stink the car (involves removing the dash, steering, seats, lower seat belt)

C725UZ (63)..JPG

may save afew kilo's and i only notice slightly more roadnoise since the janspeed exhaust overshadows it anyway, which i'm used to, and no more musky smell entering the car.

don't have a current interior pic but here's some of the stripped cabin when i was rebuilding them

C725UZ (61)..JPG

k550 (346)..JPG

gives it a sort of rally feel

That actually looks better than with the carpet, do you have any pics of the car with seats put back in, minus the carpet?

heres a few for you. :grinning:

Attachments

• P1030861.jpg
    P1030861.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 101_1199.jpg
    101_1199.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 196
Actually loks quite nice but only if painted and looked after properly, that red one is desperately in need of a good clean lol

Why not cut a section from one in a breakers yard then stick it in?
A bit of strong tape on the back should hold it.
Try to make the cut lines in hidden places (under the centre console for example) or stick some mats over the worst of it.

why dont you get a new carpet put in? go to a carpet shop and tell them to fit it in for you when youve taken the seats and rest of the other bits?

Good idea, I'll have to make a few phone calls to local yards and see if any have any k11's in. How much you reckon I'll get charged?

Back