K11 Micra Wet Floor Passenger Side

I know this has been discussed before in other threads, but I have read them and I can't figure out where the leak is coming from.

The passenger side carpet is wet, from the front seat footwell right back to the back of the rear seat footwell. In order to try to find the leak, I have poured buckets of water over the windscreen and scuttle panel, but no water dripped from under the dashboard. The insulation against the engine bulkhead under the glovebox is soaking wet at the floor level, but is increasingly drier the farther up the bulkhead it goes. This makes me think that the leak is not coming from above and that the insulation is being wetted in an upwards direction through capillary action.

I poured a bucket of water down the sunroof drains and saw that they did work and the water drained out of the sill. I pulled the sponge out from the cavity at the bottom of the A pillar and it was wet.

I'm stumped - the sunroof is draining ok and no water drips from behind the dashboard when the windscreen and scuttle panel are given a soaking.

Does anyone have any ideas?

b.jpg

I am not sure if you still have this issue. I had this on my old pre facelift, I never got to the bottom of it before the gearbox went and it went to scrap.

However, I did clear a lot of crud out of the end box sections, which helped, you have to take away part of the plastic inner arch fairing at the bottom, you'll be surprised how much crud is in there.

I used incontinence pads (mats) in the footwells to soak up the water, though I suspect it was my sunroof drain tubes, or the windscreen clips, but my rear footwell was also wet. I did notice I had some dampness under the rear bench seat, but I doubt it created the problem.

Its most likely the green clip underneath the scuttle panel that needs resealing. The seal perishes and water leaks into the cabin air intake.
or its a rust hole behind the side blinker.

I am not sure if you still have this issue. I had this on my old pre facelift, I never got to the bottom of it before the gearbox went and it went to scrap.

However, I did clear a lot of crud out of the end box sections, which helped, you have to take away part of the plastic inner arch fairing at the bottom, you'll be surprised how much crud is in there.

I used incontinence pads (mats) in the footwells to soak up the water, though I suspect it was my sunroof drain tubes, or the windscreen clips, but my rear footwell was also wet. I did notice I had some dampness under the rear bench seat, but I doubt it created the problem.
I dried out the car completely and then:

Poured buckets of water down the sunroof drains
Poured buckets of water over the scuttle panel
Waited for the next rains and drove it in the rain and through deep puddles

The problem never came back and I never figured out what it was. It remains a mystery. I've since sold the car.

I dried out the car completely and then:

Poured buckets of water down the sunroof drains
Poured buckets of water over the scuttle panel
Waited for the next rains and drove it in the rain and through deep puddles

The problem never came back and I never figured out what it was. It remains a mystery. I've since sold the car.
Ah right ok, unsolved mystery like mine! :unsure:

Ah right ok, unsolved mystery like mine! :unsure:
I see you've had CVTs. I have a question:

My car surges a little when driving at low speed. I've noticed it at 20-30mph - the car will accelerate and noise from the CVT increases slightly, then it will decelerate and then surge again, with each surge cycle happening a couple of times per second. It's only a very light surge and can hardly be felt. It's as if drive belts within the CVT were suddenly gripping more and then releasing. Does this happen in your cars?

I see you've had CVTs. I have a question:

My car surges a little when driving at low speed. I've noticed it at 20-30mph - the car will accelerate and noise from the CVT increases slightly, then it will decelerate and then surge again, with each surge cycle happening a couple of times per second. It's only a very light surge and can hardly be felt. It's as if drive belts within the CVT were suddenly gripping more and then releasing. Does this happen in your cars?
TBH all my CVT done that owned 3. I always thought it was switching gears from the DS cog to the D cog.

Though they did this only once, like up to 25mph, then seemed like a change of gear, then runs smoothly from 20 to top speed, (max 80 for me if overtaking on Motorway), normal transaction of the CVT I thought. My last gearbox lasted 130k.

Last edited: