cutting steel with a welder?

ive got jaff all to do this morning except do some work on the bits for the micra. i need to make 2 holes bigger on the dizzy adaptor and also make 1 hole. the steel plate is 6mm thick my buzz box makes mince meet of 1mm steel so if i wack the amps up and use an old rod could i cut the steel with it? reason i ask is my drills ####ed and im bored so need something to do :laugh:

well ill soon find find out lol im just gonna grab some breakfast then give it a shot plus i don't have much choice i aint buying another drill they either break or get mysteriously borrowed out without my knowledge fwn plus i aim to get the car running by tonight (Y)

this wont end well. the welder will not cut 6mm because thats the thickness of metal its meant to weld, not destroy. you should drill holes if you are trying to make holes, otherwise you will just end up with a lump of useless metal.

but if its not important and you are bored then give it a try, you will learn more about welding, its a great way to learn.

i did something similar with aluminium because everyone told me you couldn't mig aluminium but no one could tell me why, when i touched the aluminium with the mig, the whole thing melted so now i know

haha tried just had a quick go no chance its just doing a bead and eating my rod ah well new drill it is :wasntme: anyone recommend a good drill? if i have to get one may as well get a decent one. what drill bits would be worth getting as well cause i got some of them halfords titanium coated ones a while back and they were notorious for snapping although they cut through quite well there a wee bit over priced for what there worth imo.

Can't fault my black and decker 12v cordless I've had it about 5 years and it never misses a beat, my dads corded bosch is probably 10/15 years old but will out perform his cheapy Argos special (although I have an Argos angle grinder which is really good)

As for drill bits I bought one of those drill bit kits from b&q, so far only snapped one and that was the 4mm one iirc

If I was you I'd go around all the hardware stores and see if any have deals on the big names, that's how I paid £20 for my b&d it was half price :)

I have a Parkside (Lidl or Aldi) drill, came with 2 batteries been using it about 5 years now and it is still working well. Batteries don't last quite as long now but pretty good for bargain prices.

If youve got abit of cash and want something that WILL last i reccomend makita. My makita 4.5" grinder has cut up about 4 cars now for scrap, aswell as removing underseal from 2 to 3 cars and obviously grinding welds e.t.c ;-)
Got given a 90's makita drill after my b+q ####ter set on fire whel trying to remove underseal with it and by eck... this makita item is indestructable! :D highly reccomended

thin steel burns back a treat with arc (Y), but 6mm stuff wont be easy tho :eek:

haha yeah thats what i was thinking cause ive cut plenty of stubborn manifold heat shields off with the buzz box but never tried out that thick until this morning :doh:.

i have managed to lend a drill for now but i will look into get another one. mark that pillar drill is a bargain i may have to invest in one (Y)

Back