Clutch lever play?

Guys, I want to be 100% sure I've done this right. I bolted my gearbox to my new engine. Everything lined up fine (eventually). The clutch lever on the top of the gearbox will move almost an inch before it touches the release springs on the clutch plate. Can someone tell me if this sounds about right or should there be a lot of resistance the whole movement?

There is good resistance after this point (will move under force) but I just want to be sure seeing as this is the first time I've done a job such as this.

Thanks

Guys, I want to be 100% sure I've done this right. I bolted my gearbox to my new engine. Everything lined up fine (eventually). The clutch lever on the top of the gearbox will move almost an inch before it touches the release springs on the clutch plate. Can someone tell me if this sounds about right or should there be a lot of resistance the whole movement?

There is good resistance after this point (will move under force) but I just want to be sure seeing as this is the first time I've done a job such as this.

Thanks

i usually gauge it that you can just about slip the cable onto the hook of the lever coog (which gives me a biting point around 1/3 up) :)

Not sure about the clearance inside the box but as an apprentice it was drummed into me '5mm at the end of the cable!"
Give the clutch pedal a few pumps then recheck the clearance.

Right... give her a good few pumps there. I'd say it's 3/4 loose (bearing just moving along the shaft) then 1/4 clutch activation if you get me. If I push really hard you can feel it stop dead (i.e it doesn't feel like it's going push past the shaft onto the splines)

Frank - haven't got that connected up yet lol. Only just got the gearbox on tonight :blush:

Back