Clutch is rather high?

meji

Club Member (Trial)
I don't know if it's the same in all Micra's but, the clutch is rather high and I am not used to this / don't really like it.

I mean I'm getting used to driving it compared to the fiesta my driving instructor has, but I was wondering how would you go about changing the clutch so you can feel the bite a bit lower to the floor? Or if this is even possible. Also how much (£££) and how hard? :D

Thanks in advance!

Hi meji, when i bought my micra the clutch biting point was right at the top. And was also slipping alot, so i replaced the whole unit, Pressure plate and clutch. Now the clutch bites alot lower down. So i presume your clutch could be worn? I would first try to adjust the slack on the clutch cable itself before looking into a new clutch. Either in the engine bay or on the clutch pedal itself.

Hope this is of some help(Y)

Flat_out

Thank you very much, I'll check this tomorrow, it's still raining outside at the moment :(
Hopefully I won't have to replace the whole lot, but if that's what needs to be done, I'll do it.

Thanks for the fast reply too ;D

the clutch pedal resting height is adjustable via a bolt on the clutch pedal housing cage. the clutch bite point is adjustable via a screw nut at the end of the clutch cable.

adjust the bolt till the clutch pedal rest height is to your preference or to the oem spec, then you adjust the clutch bite point till it's between halfway and 3/4 down the clutch pedal stroke.

i prefer 3/4 down cos i just have to move my foot and not my entire leg to engage the clutch and feel certain that the clutch is fully engaged once released and secure.

i believe flat_outs original slipping clutch problem was prob caused by the clutch cable not being loosened enough or at all as the clutch plate wears down over time.

now if the cable has not been properly adjusted and that the clutch pedal/cable/swingarm/fork/thrust bearing rested in the same position..as the clutch plate wears it gets thinner and so receives less pressure from the pressure plate (which is being held back from the tension in the cable) causing clutch slip under high loads and the biting point to creep higher.

there's a narrow region between too much clutch cable tension, which quickly wears out the clutch system and wastes power, and too little cable tension, which doesn't allow the clutch to fully disengage, making gear selection difficult and damages the gearbox which is more £££ to replace.

i generally adjust the cable till it takes up slack and no more so that when the pedal is released, the clutch fork is just resting gently against the thrust bearing, and keep an eye on it monthly.

Back