high pitched rattling when idling in first gear

Hey, this is my first post here on Micra Sports Club, i'm the proud owner of an M reg 1.3L K11, my first car! Its been running great and I'm a bit of a novice but want to educate myself and be able to service my own car, for my own enjoyment and hopefully to save a bit of cash.

Just recently I've been hearing a high pitched rattling when the car idles in first gear with the clutch in, its only audible from outside the car or with the windows down. It is constant but has no fixed rhythm, hence my calling it a rattle rather than a whirr as such. It doesn't happen in neutral or with any other gears selected and pretty much disappears as soon as the clutch is lifted and the car moves off. The sound changes if I wiggle the gear stick around when its in first.

Just wondering if its anything to worry about or if its a minor (or god forbid major!) issue. The car has no other strange noises or rattles either when idling or driving!

Thanks.

baguete

Site Supporter
Check if the noise comes from the alternator, both my ' 99 1.0 LX and '97 1.3 SR does that noise at idle. I supose that both of them do it because i set the idle to 700rpm...