Slidey.. and sounding rather rough!

Well it appears my micra suddenly became rather tail happy a few moments ago, only ever happened once on an oily roundabout but this was was a bit of a shock,

Not that i cant control it but it was rather unexpected felt like the L/H rear tyre was folding and flat and this hapened 2 or 3 times, went to the garage and it was at 25 psi, stuck another 4psi in it and seems to have stopped but could this be anything else?

And the engine sounds rough, mabey its because im used to a belt driver car but it doesnt seem right, my gut is telling me so :L

Cheer Steve

EDIT: Having listend closley, it sounds rahter like a diesel distinctive dug dug dug dug dug you hear haha, and if my ears are correct sounds like its near the lefthand side of the engine bay looking in from the front

If your engine is high mileage then its possible your timing chain is rattling a bit... its a common problem but most people seem to just leave it due to the expense.
As for the sliding... dunno... could be lots of things, check your springs and struts aren't broken/leaking.

bit dark so im gonna grab a torch in a minute, Milage is at 51k, would taking the black inspection panel off allow me to get a decent look at the chain, and what should i be looking for :)

Honestly, and dont take offense to this, bring it to a mechanic. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, no knowledge is worse.
If your car becomes tail happy for no apparent reason (25psi is by no means a low pressure) then you have a problem that really should be looked at by somebody with mechanical knowledge asap

different roads but only a few hundred meters apart, and yes i will be getting it checked :)
Watch out Steven all the roads are sloppy as sh*t in Stirling ATM especially tonight come to my work tomorrow if you can and ill have a look the back kicking out did it understeer first?

What tyres are you on? 155/70/13? Hideous tyres no matter which brand, they'd rather throw you into a ditch than cling to the road.

yup 155/70/r13's thats the one haha, had a look at the shock, nothing looks broken, no leakers doesnt feel loose wheels on fine, must just have been combination of crap tyres + roads :L

I replaced my 155/70/13 with part worn 165/65/13 for £10 each

Pretty much the same rolling radius and had a ton more grip.
i find that the width makes no difference personally (ice racing tyres are skinny/blocky eh).
and after getting stuck on our hill yesterday, i removed the worn 165/60/14,s and fitted some near-new 165/60/12,s ....................2 x the grip :cool:

P1190582.JPG

Back