Changing rear spring - what do I remove?

Quick question:

What do I need to unbolt/remove to release the rear springs? I need to get it done while it's still light really!

So far I've only got the damper off.

Ta in advance,
Tom

a scissorjack on the top of the wheel will force it down some more tom (handbrake on, and keep your eye on brakepipe stretch eh)

So I don't need to remove the panhard etc? Thanks for the reply.

detach the panhard cos it'll try shift the axle over and jam against the trailing arm geometry when u drop the axle that far. make sure ur not overstretching the brake hoses too

Thanks - I've got one spring out now - used the compressors while it was in the car and squeezed it out. Another quick question: the Tein springs are more tightly coiled at one end, but it doesn't say which way up the spring goes. Does anyone know which way up it goes?

Thanks - I've got one spring out now - used the compressors while it was in the car and squeezed it out. Another quick question: the Tein springs are more tightly coiled at one end, but it doesn't say which way up the spring goes. Does anyone know which way up it goes?

thats just the variable rate end tom, they close up when you take the car off the jack (and they keep it captive when jacked up)
take your pick :)

Car is now lowered :D Thanks guys, and thanks for the help on my previous lowering thread! Car had MOT a couple days ago and they loosened the top nuts for me :)

All cleaned up :) I'm very happy with the way the back end sits now, especially with the the spacers on. Is the front likely to settle any more? I should have measured before and after really. Drives well too, not too bumpy at all and less rolley through corners.

Bit dark for pictures, but here goes:

Front
IMG_5366.jpg

Back
IMG_5367.jpg

Both
IMG_5368.jpg

What size spacers did you use?? I got some 10mm waiting to go on mine?? Did you do front and rear or just rear??

Fronts are 5mm each side and the rear is 32mm each side :) I'd like to go more on the front (probable to 10 or 15) but apparently it affects the steering.

Looks nice mate. Really fills the arches out. Just checked mine and they are 20mm not 10mm
:)
Was it easy to fit the longer studs?

I didn't this time round, they just screw onto the existing ones for the back. Then a metal spacer fits over them. For the fronts, I only used a 5mm spacer so I didn't need the extended studs. On my last one I used 20mm at the back and fitted longer studs. Was easy to do.

agreed it messes with your steering. even if you don't notice a huge difference in steering feel, its putting loads more stress on the hub ball joint, track rod end, strut leg (i have seen similar design strut shear at the mounting point), as well as putting more static load on the ARB and drop link.

Back