Rear spring trouble

Just had my passenger side rear to pieces in the hope of changing the rear springs today (in the bloody rain! - I'm soaked!!!).

Got the wheel off, passenger side on an axle stand (placed carefully on the sill).

Got the jack under the hub and raised a little.

Got the nut off inside the boot.

Lowered the jack - half expecting the spring to just sorta fall out as the strut dropped...

...not only did it not fall out, but wouldn't come out using "gentle persuasion"...

Am I missing something here?

the rears are captured in two cups and the rear axle will be sprung on the anti-roll bar, you only way of doing it is a toney says or using a long bar over the axle and hanging on it.... pulling the axle down.. (thats how i did mine) or you could remove your rear anti-roll bar...

I didn't have an ARB and found it a lot easier to undo the bottom nut on the shocks (both sides) then undo the panhard rod. With the wheels off jack the car body up and the springs just fall out. Make sure you get the rubbers back in straight otherwise they knock loudly and it's a bit annoying

what about compressing the spring using the jack, then cable tying it together then letting the jack out? - reckon that might do it?

what about compressing the spring using the jack, then cable tying it together then letting the jack out? - reckon that might do it?

Cable ties will snap, honestly mate you don't need to compress it, if you feel you do then hire some spring compressors, I hired some for £2.50 a day from a local tool shop

well I tried it the haynes manual way - sort of...

Got the bolts off the shocks, but the panhard bolts have 15 years worth of rust joining them together... might just take it to a garage and get em to whip em on....

...well I got some compressors today, so the springs will be getting sorted on saturday now.

Any idea if springs from other cars fit the fronts? - if so what cars?

lol - try telling my rear springs that! - they wouldn't budge, and I can't get the panhard rod off due to 15 years worth of rust :p

Have you tried it with both wheels off? Get the body on axel stands and push down on the brake drum really hard. the spring then comes right out with some gentle yanking

i unbolted the shock from the top and used me car jack to jack the axle away from car lowered the bac of me in 20 twenty min

Back