Car Problem---------------!!!!

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
drove it today and at around 3000 Rpm in third the car would start jerking (like I was giving it full throttle then taking my foot off.) It does the same in second and fourth aswell. Also sometimes the idel drops right down when i stop and i have rev to keep it from stalling.

It only does this stuff sometimes, it was fine on the way back from college.

What can it be?
  • MAF
  • Throttlebody
  • fuel injectors
  • Fuel filter

Any ideas please help.

Eliot, iirc, I remember Frank saying if you disconnect it the car should work - it'll just drink fuel :grinning:.

Eliot, iirc, I remember Frank saying if you disconnect it, the car should work - it'll just drink fuel :grinning:.

that might only apply to the bosch/coilpack ones guy, a couple of members have posted that theirs ran ok when disconnected when the maf had failed

Disconnecting a maf regardless is a VERY BAD IDEA. It will force the ECU into FULL limp mode. Its the same as trying to walk across a road with a blindfold on, you may hear things but you wont make sense of it.

FYI the MAF is the single most important sensor on the whole car, next to the crank angle sensor.

EDIT - I think I might have fixed it. Took the MAF of to see what would happen got 20metres down the road and it kept bogging down and had no power. Pulled over gave the plug a blow and reatached it, works fine now! I will see how it goes.

its back again big time: Frank replaced the T/B for me but its got much worse around 2000rpm it will kangaroo, you can put your foot to the floor and there is no power. Please I really need help with this the car is getting undrivable.

turn the idle rev screw up so it revs higher go for a little run if it lets you-----then when warmed up turn the idle screw back to normal idle range------i actually done this once a month ago and it resumed normal function
and i dont even know why--but i also cleaned out the connector plugs with a sewing pin

Heres the problem

As it was idling when I got home I noticed the exhaust sounded very 'lumpy' like it was running on 3 cyclinders.
Ht lead no. 3 was completeley busted came apart as I took it out.

Ive put my originals back in and it runs fine now.

DSC04158.jpg

DSC04159.jpg

Yikes, definitely try and get money back on those.

I dont believe in these "performance" HT leads. Waste of money. OEM is best

bad news,

Its still doing it!!!!!! grr

Next stage is to go to halfords and do a sparkplug change as I dont think they have ever been done.

wasnt that claimed as the distributer fault
and your cars forgoten that your hollywood man,GET THE HOOCH IN THEIR TOM HANKS
that might scare the car into operating correct:laugh::laugh:
but na jokes aside -i feel ya man dont despair cause its these issues that bond the car and you so its normality realy
i'm with you till the end

wasnt that claimed as the distributer fault
and your cars forgoten that your hollywood man,GET THE HOOCH IN THEIR TOM HANKS
that might scare the car into operating correct:laugh::laugh:
but na jokes aside -i feel ya man dont despair cause its these issues that bond the car and you so its normality realy
i'm with you till the end

I wish it would!, I never thought I would say this but Im really starting to hate the car now

i dont thimk its been mentioned but have you tried just cleaning the MAF sensor with a bit of carb cleaner or something sounds like its just dirty

no he's not little bandit got total'd a couple of years ago fwn

Yep, all in an almera now running even more power than little bandit.

Speaking of little bandit....and knockhill. Im going to see the almera out on knockhill track tomorrow :eek: and its been raining all week :eek: lets hope he doesnt end this one :(

maybe that maf had gotten dirty having not been used? worth a go just to cancel it out

i'll see what the spark plugs do tomorrow. My brother said he had the exacty same thing when he had a k10 it was fine on the motorway but town speeds causes it to kangaroo everywhere, he changed the plugs and leads and got a result.

i'll see what the spark plugs do tomorrow. My brother said he had the exacty same thing when he had a k10 it was fine on the motorway but town speeds causes it to kangaroo everywhere, he changed the plugs and leads and got a result.

dont hold your breath eliot fwn try my spare dizzy

dont hold your breath eliot fwn try my spare dizzy

If it dosnt work Frank I will try and get over there.

My brother also said it had a new dizzy not to long ago. It starts perfectly and there is no misfiring coming from the dizzy. Only starts kangarooing when accelerate thats why I think its the plugs. I will post up topmorrow with the results.

You have alook at the gasket? Mine did this for ages so popped the tb off bit of instant gasket and bobs your uncle :)

The gasket was fine by the looks of things. Frank would have noticed it if was a bad gasket.

Could be, have you checked the condition of the plugs? It's not an obvious one but it's only running poor under heavy load as it runs fine when cruising, does sound like a sensor on it's last legs, the dizzy as Frank said could be at fault, although it will be the ignitor in the dizzy, but I am presuming you've checked the cap and rotor arm as come to think of it my old eg vti did the same thing because the rotor arm was ######ed! But I'd still give the maf a squirt of cleaner, I do my s14's every now and again they are self cleaning but not always effective and when I last dynoed it I got a rubbish result gave the mad a squirt and got the result I wanted

Have you done the rev limiter mod previously? I had and the problems your having sounds like problems i had. If its not the TB it must be the dizzy. Just make sure you fit it the correct way and not 180 degrees out :)

update: I replaced the spark plugs and it seems to have helped, the car is drivable now but it still jerks slightly but its not too noticeable. So the dizzy is next on the list!

Also my sparkplugs had a greyish white deposit, the haynes says this means the engine is in good condition (Y)

Btw does the car still sound like its running on 3 cylinders? I had a faulty injector before which caused lumpyness and kangaroo-ing. It would show up on the spark plugs though

Btw does the car still sound like its running on 3 cylinders? I had a faulty injector before which caused lumpyness and kangaroo-ing. It would show up on the spark plugs though

if you listen to the exhaust it does sound like it is. When I took the plug out no.3 it had some black deposits(like gunk) on the thread.

How would it show up?

Back