car jumping like a kangaroo

I recently bought a 94 1.3 SLX and was and until recently really happy with it. The car had trouble starting sometimes and then final wouldn't start. I've changed the starter motor after reading a few threads on here and everything has been fine.

I've had trouble with the car stalling and losing revs when idling. Today I serviced it by changing leads, filters, plugs and oil. I did this from the instruction of a haynes manual. Everything went well except getting a little dirty. I even took off the camshaft manifold and to inspect the engine. Which looked to be in pretty good condition. I took it off and replaced it using the sequence in the manual.

I thought this may help to stop the loss of power, but unfortunately its the same if not worse and the car jumps around like a kangaroo, not going over 3000rpm.

I'm pretty new to maintaining cars and would really appreciate any help offered.

Also how hard is it to change the front wheel gaitor?, because the passenger side has totally perished.

Mine did exatly this, unplug the lambda sensor and see if it gets better, otherwise its most likley the throttlebody needs a resolder.

i had a simullar problem only with a polo,turned out to be a fuel blockage,open the throttle and fuel was forced through but on low revs it jumped around, different cars though!

What your saying does sound similar to mine. Did you replace the fuel filter?

Where is the lambda sensor located?

thanks guys

You cant really 'check' the throttle body. But to fix it you just have to resolder the joints for the maf sensor as they dry out and crack over time (joints are behind a small metal plate on the side).
the lamda sensor is screwed into the manifold at the front of the car.

I'll try the lambda sensor removal for now and then resolder the throttle body when I can get a solderer. I'm also trying to find a rear driver side door for my 94 and driver window (electric) as i got broken into last night. Any ideas peoples?

nice one martinb21. Reheated then solder on both sets of terminal. The PCV terminals did look dry and worn. A bit of heat and they look like new. If this doesn't work i will try spraying the air flow meter and again if that doesn't work change the fuel filter.

Thanks again for the help guys

no probs mate, re fit and go test and report back, mine looked fine but since resoldering it there were no problems whatsoever(Y)(Y)

At the mo all seems to be going well its starts and stays at 100 rpm. Then as engine warms revs hold at about 800 rpm. NO hiccups or jumping yet. so finger crossed its sorted it.

nice one peoples

i'll post again in a week to update on how its goiing. should have done about 300 miles by then

about cleaning the maf, how can i go about it? I wanted to clean my maf so i took off the air filter housing but could not locate the maf sensor which i believe is built into the throttle body. a few line help would be greatly appreciated.

Back