Sounding like a diesel

This is starting to annoy me the car is sounding like a diesel and I haven't got a clue why. Could someone point me in the right direction for what I should be checking.

I know my water pump and alternator belts need replacing and I'm going to replace the water pump as well.

The only other thing is I have an oil leak coming from the sump somewhere, (checked earlier but couldn't see where) but that wouldn't make it sound like a diesel would it?

I would guess its runnin on 3 cylinders, try removing each injector individually and listen for a rev drop, if it drops that cylinder is ok, if it doesnt change rev speed, that cylinder is not firing. Would be quite rough if its runnning on 3 cyls even at idle.

It's running on all four cylinders, no loss of power or running issues in general

It just sounds like a diesel :( I'm putting it down to the leaking exhaust manifold and the oil could do with topping up AGAIN :(

I'm not too worried about the oil consumption cause I know it's due to a leak from the sump, but cause the weathers crap I've not been able to do anything about it

Back