Bump strip annoyance..

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
So yesterday i decided to pull my finger out and start removing my bump strips.
I started with the little one on the rear wing 'cause of all the horror stories about them taking paint off etc..
It came off easily enough but the paint underneath is a fair bit lighter and t-cut doesnt seem to be touching it tbh. The paint underneath does seem to be at a lower level to the paint around it (if that makes sense) and theres a bit of a ridge where the two areas meet.
I've taken a pic (sorry rubbish quality) of what it looks like..

any ideas please? i dont want bumpstrips :(

DSC00634.jpg

looks like the car might have been resprayed, there shouldn't be a lip

T-cut should at least take the lip off, its hard work but keep going

other than that you can try and paint it, find some paint that matches.

NeX said:
looks like the car might have been resprayed

hmmm was afraid of that

NeX said:
other than that you can try and paint it, find some paint that matches.

i really cant be dealing with painting as that just opens up the possibility for even more stuff to go wrong.
I might look into colour coding, but if it has been reprayed, ive got a feeling colour matching will be hard
Cheers anyway

You'll be there a month of Sundays with T cut,looks like you've got 2 coats of laquer to flat out...Use 1200 wet & dry with soapy water and a flat block being careful not to burn through.You can blow the offending area in after with laquer after which will not be perfect but may well dull the bright green area a little.
Shame you ain't closer,we've got the doors from this little baby that I think are untouched if your doors have all been painted.

mintgreenmicraauto3.jpg
[/IMG]

hmmm was afraid of that

i really cant be dealing with painting as that just opens up the possibility for even more stuff to go wrong.
I might look into colour coding, but if it has been reprayed, ive got a feeling colour matching will be hard
Cheers anyway

what about respraying the whole car? do all the body work you want to do and then just book it in at the body shop and get it all sorted

grr i dont know what to do now, will probabaly end up just putting it back on and not bothering with the rest :(

sleeper ss said:
Shame you ain't closer,we've got the doors from this little baby that I think are untouched if your doors have all been painted

Yeah lol but wouldnt solve the miss-match on my rear panels, and havent even started on the door strips yet cause im sure they'll be the same

NeX said:
what about respraying the whole car?

I dont have re-spray money lol, is a nice idea though

I dont have re-spray money lol, is a nice idea though

might be worth it in the future tho, do all the mods you want to do whilst you are saving for paint, then when you are ready get it all done in one go

I bet you could hide that could enough by putting some aerosol laquer over the offending are.
Don't give up!Have a look at the other panels on the car,you can always find evidence of repairs so you'll know if removal of strips is a problem all round the car..

I bet you could hide that could enough by putting some aerosol laquer over the offending are.
Don't give up!Have a look at the other panels on the car,you can always find evidence of repairs so you'll know if removal of strips is a problem all round the car..

thats a point, it might only be that side thats been painted, so at least you can take the others off or something

Back