Bump Strip removal !!! Help!!!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
OK i have already searched the forums and CMF's forums and the web so no need to tell me ;)

i have taken my bump strips off an i'm left with sticky foam stuff.

some people say use a heat gun (which is no good because i can't get power to the car)
some people say don't use a heat gun because it damages the paint.

i have tried the credit card and solvents but it'll take for ever!

some people mentioned a "caramel Wheel" but i have gone from B&Q to Bristol Zoo and there is no such thing or anything close..

so does anyone know any other way? and what solvents can i use that won't damage the paint!

Thanks Guys and girls

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?tid=5

says petrol here!! i think it is def ok but prob just in moderation..

i don't have access to that page :down:

i'll have to try petrol then :)

thanks m8

i would personaly not use boiling water!!! - use warmish water - bout 50c hot... or a hair dryer and gently try and pick the gluee off if you can... once most of it has gone a damp cloth and a lot of hot water over it till its all gone...

is there any risk with using a hair dryer? i don't want to reck the paint cos it's perecent and not cheap :|

Thanks for your help guys and girls :)

neah - ive used the hair dryer before on my primera to get the rear badges off... i used a combination of lots of warm water gave it 5 minutes to soak in then got the hair dryer out and generly pealed them off...

ive sed it before, petrol! It removes tar and other sticky stuff so shud b no bother! My dad used it on his car a while ago and there is no difference in paint!

Sorry to be a fool, but the bumpstrips are the black inserts on the front and back of the bumper yeah?
not the black strips on the side?
car.jpg

U can just see the black bits on the front of my micra here, are they easy to get off?

^^ i think it wood be better getting them sprayed..if u wood do that eventualy?!

also def get rid of the vibe stickers! that takes literally 15 mins..was one of the first things i did..lol :p

i think that the bump strips are all the 3 things that u mentioned about, i think this topic is about removing the side ones..fwn

yea the side strips :)

i tried 50c water and that didn't really do much.

same with white spirit and WD40

but petrol made the most noticable difference, it'll still take me for ever but it's the only thing thats making any difference at the mo.

thanks everyone :)

i dont think u should use wd40, i think i read somewhere that if u respray the car the paint wont go on properly..u just gotta keep tryin with the petrol..
stan2.gif

WD40 leaves a slightly oily film when it dries to help protect it... once its applied and you try and wash it - u will just push the "oil" around the body work lol although if you take it to a body shop to do it and it does not go on right then just keep taking it back till it is right!

the petrol has to work to get the oil off as well as the glue, shud hav used petrol in the first place... Try some de-greaser then petrol :D

SCHTOP THEN LOT OF YOU..

lol

ok NEVER USE wd40 it i silicone based and retards the paints etc. and it was most prob me that mentioned this.

petrol also does the same effect with painting etc. and fades the paint.

the best solvent to use is celulose thinners again in moderation. best to use the thinners on an old towel and rub it in. removing the glue and thinners then with a second cloth and soapy water wash away the thinners
as this being left on car aswell can fade paint.

but this is by far the best and easiest way to remove the glue.
hairdrying to remove the stickers etc them selves.

wayne

only if u get the non silicone based wd40 :p

but tryspray ANYTHING once even a bit of wd40 is on the surface :D

lol

thats the reason why they have started to use the siicone free stuff. because they found out it was deprimental to the cars bodywork etc. :D

still best not to use it though :D

Thanks so much you guys :)

i have found a shop that sells these caramel wheel things so i'm gonna give that a try,

the paint looks slightly whiter than normal but i think T-cut and turtle wax should sort that out :)

so far nothing has worked completely, but the petrol has made the most difference, i'll let you guys know how the caramel wheel goes :)

OK thanks for the tip....

what is wrong with silicone? does it damage the paint or make it harder to clean?

wont allow u to spray any kind u need to strip it right down to be able to spray so if i get any little scratches etc that need romving ur not looking at a scratch any more but a full respray down the side at least

ok can you get any kind of silicone remover or disolver?

Attachments

• mikeJae.jpg
    mikeJae.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 352
  • standJae.jpg
    standJae.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 326
Surely either white spirit or metheleted spirit would remove it fine, only one would work the other would mess the paint up

HOw did you remove the strips tho? hair dryer?

i used kettle water 2 get mine off..if u just pour some warm water over it then get something to leaver behind it..i used a scraper wraped heavily in a towel then once u start to get it off, just use ya hands and use the kettle water when the glue gets a bit tough..easy job, takes 5 mins 2 get them both off!

i just pulled mine off in about 2 min, but it's the crap that's left behind that is the problem

u just gotta keep trying really, i know i used the eraser wheel from my dads garage..that is prob the easyest way, if u keep using the petrol and just keep scrubbin it should come off..personally if u can get an eraser wheel, i wood def recommend that!

i've tried but i can find anywhere that sells them:down:

where'd u get yours? what kinda shop am i looking for cos i tried nissan and they recomended a shop that doesn't exist!!!

yea i tried all the B&Q, focus, Hellfrauds, Homebase etc and none of them have even heard of a caramel wheel.

do you have one? how much do they normally cost and could i buy one off you??

thanks mate ;)

i have a bottle that i haven't tried yet but i think it's more of a polish than an adhesive remover...

ok i'll give it a go tonight, but the crap from the bump strips is like 2mm of foam stuff rather than just a thin layer of glue....

http://www.gison.com.tw/product/C0333044467.htm

they look like that..although u will need an air line to work the bloody thing!! lol

i think they are called eraser wheels, not caramel wheels..to be honest u should just use t-cut.

ah ok,

so are they like a rubber wheel basically? i have seen some that just fit into a normal drill.

so you think i'll be alright with T-cut yea?

thanks loads for all your help guys :)

i'll try the t-cut next and ask around for an eraser wheel and let you know how i get on :)

i was gonna take my bumpstrips off with a hairdryer (like ian did to his first car which apparently worked) but it seems such a fart on i dont know if i'll bother! you had any more luck NeX to convince me to get them off?
white micra, so probs would look better without them.

hehe, i'd say go for it layla because it does look good when you manage to get the foam crap off :)

it can be done with a credit card and some petrol but it will take you for ever, i'm not affraid of hard work but i want to get it done before the south meet on the 27th.....

i think if i can't find a quick way then i'm gonna have to devote a weekend to scrubbing :down:

just make sure you have all the tools ready before you do because otherwise you'll be in the same situation i am where i'm rushing around looking for this wheel thing :|

if i do get one then after i've taken the bump strips off i wont need it, so yo can have it and pass it on when your finished :) it be like the MSC caramel/eraser wheel hehe

will do ;)

I can hopfully put together a guide because there doesn't seem to be any offical way.

actually i'll go take some pics now so i have a before and after :)

ok here is where i'm at at the mo....

before petrol and cradit card and half an hour of scrubbing:
24145.jpg

and then after....
24146.jpg

as you can see, it's working but very slowly....

BTW the paint han't been lightened by the petrol it's the other side of the car :p

will do, and i'll let you know with the wheel thingy :D

Edit: HAHA i just noticed the ghost micra in the pics :laugh:

my dad said that u can just buy the eraser wheel for a normal drill and i was just talkin out my ass about the air compressor thing!! lol

so if u say u saw a bit that goes on a drill, then u could get that..lol

thanks Glenn for your help but i've sorted it now :laugh::laugh:

WHO IS THE MAN!!!!!!

i have found out the perfect combo to get the strips off :D

i was scraching away at the sides with a credit card when the card broke so rather than go back to the house i thought what do i have in the car??? ICE SCRAPER!!! it worked perfectly! a petrol soaked cloth sokes the strips and then the scraper just peels them off. one door, 25min :)

i'm gonna take some pics and put together a proper guide.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

I use Halfords bug and tar remover for my badges. as it is thicker and stays in place once applied. I'll attempt my side strips soon :)

trust mate it is sooo easy....

i used loads of petrol which i thought would reck the paint but i got up this morning and it was fine.

when you apply the petrol it sokes into the strip and then the ice scraper takes off the petrol soaked layer. then resoake and scrape until it's all gone !!

i'm gonna do the other doors tonight because this one was a test to see if the paint would fade.

only one problem, microscopic grit! if you're scraping the car and you pick up one of these bits of grit then it makes a nice big scratch. so clean the car first.

but i used touch up pens, t-cut and wax and now it looks perfect :D

Back