Bonnet Lightening?

Im sure someone has done it, but as usual the 'search' function came up with nothing :S

having just fitted some bonnet pins, the re-inforcement on the bonnet looks to weight quite a bit, what do you guys think to removing it all? would the bonnet flap about all over the place?

i think it will be fine, the bonnet is secured in all 4 corners and its got a fold down either side and is curved at the front so id say will be more than stable,

just make a fiberglass skin Ed? im making my own its not hard..... just stickey lol :p im also looking into making my own perspex windows (not widscreen) if you want some made up?

No fibreglass, carbon is a waste of time and money as fibreglass is lighter. The only thing light with carbon fibre is you wallet after you have had it made only thing is it looks good

No fibreglass, carbon is a waste of time and money as fibreglass is lighter. The only thing light with carbon fibre is you wallet after you have had it made only thing is it looks good
essentially though it is made in a very similair way and the material is cheap! well it was until it got really popular and now you see yourself paying £100's for a bonnet!

Mine is done, it does flap a bit at higher speeds.

could you elaberate please mate, how bad is the flapping? would you say it was worth while?
fiberglass is an option, but tbh its more time and money than i want to put in (more time than money i guess) i do agree about fiberglass V carbon fiber, never understood why people will spend so much on the stuff!

I was forced to remove all bonnet bracing at the front due to the stupid rad i brought! A little bit of pressure on the bonnet to get the pins in has made mine proberbly more solid than standard. Two front fixings beat one (Y)

I would go for pins with a lightened bonnet, the stock bonnet tends to bend up slightly and rock at high speed :| I'm sure the bonnet catch will be fine but I like things to be nailed down ;)

Ed you could always just do away with the lot and pin the bonnet down in all 4 corners, its going no were then and its light, win win

nah, sod having to lift off my bonnet everytime i wonna work on the car! but i may go ahead and remove the strengthening, as has been said above the two pins should hold it well.

could you elaberate please mate, how bad is the flapping? would you say it was worth while?
fiberglass is an option, but tbh its more time and money than i want to put in (more time than money i guess) i do agree about fiberglass V carbon fiber, never understood why people will spend so much on the stuff!

It is worth doing the amount of weight you save, id say it only starts to flap at about 60mph its not alot but enough for you to notice it if that makes sense. Mine is fixed with 2 bonnet pins and tbh it could do with one in the middle too just to keep the middle from flapping. I have seen a few rally cars that have put a strip of tape in the middle to keep it down, not good if your going for looks though :p
Hope thats of some help:grinning:

It is worth doing the amount of weight you save, id say it only starts to flap at about 60mph its not alot but enough for you to notice it if that makes sense. Mine is fixed with 2 bonnet pins and tbh it could do with one in the middle too just to keep the middle from flapping. I have seen a few rally cars that have put a strip of tape in the middle to keep it down, not good if your going for looks though :p
Hope thats of some help:grinning:

where are your bonnet pins? mine are just above the lights so maybe a bit more central than yours??

yes this is true, that boot is very vey heavy hence the reason im making plaka windows :p and going wild with the grinder atm :D

I think maybe another (possibly sticky) thread should be started with pictures on what to lighten and how.
I will start it, but i have not done any lightening so i will rely on you guys to post in it :D

The reason i talk about lightening the bonnet is that i have had to take the grinder to it a bit to get the pins to fit and was just thinking that all that strengthening must weigh a fair bit! il get it on the scales before and after to see.

Back