Bonnet catch

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
I've done a search on this, but found nothing that helps. Basically, the bonnet no longer opens when I pull the lever, and someone has to pull the bonnet up while someone else pulls the lever.

I took the catch off and made sure all the bits worked, gave it a bit of a clean up, oiled it and put it back on. Same problem. So I took a picture to show what happens when the lever is pulled:

IMG_4596.jpg

Should the bit on the top left move? Any other suggestions?

Tom

The part with the X is the release mech, that will pop up when you pull the release handle and raise the bonnet. Chances are your mech is either gunked up behind it or the whole latch has moved (have to drop slammed the bonnet at all recently?)

I took apart mine and cleaned it all seperatly, then new grease and it was all fine again.

The black spring may have stretched a bit. This would prevent it from springing the catch up when you pull the cable release. The hook (top left) is the safety catch I think (will have to look at mine to be sure though) assuming they all have one? The one you operate by hand when the main catch is released.

BG

had this problem on the cabriolet,

i have pretty much fixed it, but what i did was cleaned it all up and regreased with WD40, then i unbolted the catch and moved it down i think,

that way the bonnet has to be really pushed down to clip in, and it wants to spring back up because of the rubber stoppers. when you pull the catch this force is enough to pop it up and out of the catch, or at least far enough so you can get out of the car and pull it by hand.

I have this problem, but I've worked out how to open it one manned..

Open the door sand stand by the wing, then stretch your arms out so you can pull up on the bonnet and pull the inside lever at the same time :)

Back