My 1.3 K11 is nearly stalling, belts oily?

Hi, I have a 1993 1.3LX and have done 15k trouble free miles in the past year and a half.

Anyway a couple of days a go I was out and gave it abit of a quick blast in first and second up to 30mph, but admittedly I did floor it and it was revving like mad (it feels like there is no limiter on mine, there is no counter, but it seems to me that it revs incredibly high, perhaps someone has done the disable limiter mod with the distributor?)

Now I normally drive it pretty steadily, but every now and then I get the urge to let people see how nippy it is. Anyway I carried on driving for another hour or so and it seemed fine, then I pulled up to a certain set of traffic lights and the idle speed went really low and felt like it was nearly gong to stall. It then went normal again and then abit later on did this another few times. It did however perform fine when moving, and on the motorway it was just as powerful as ever.

Now ive just done a search and it sounds like the throttle body problem, but today (before I read about the TB prob) I had the bonnet up and looked in the engine bay, only to find quite a bit of oil mainly over the pully system/aux belts and a nasty smell which I assumed to be hot oil. Ive smelled hot oil before and it wasnt as nasty as this, perhaps it was mixing with the rubber of the belts?.

I checked the dip stick and it hadnt lost much, I had a look at the sump plug, it was fine. Made sure the oil filter was tight, it was. The bearing makes abit of a tapping noise on the top/primary drive wheel that drives the top belt (is it connected to the fly wheel?) not sure if oil could of come from there. Also been reading on the internet about similar probs and sounds abit like the crankshaft seal could of gone.

Im kicking myself for driving it like that!!!!, I love this little car and have followed guides on here and done the door hinge lift with washers fix, the heater resistor card fix, fixed the fuse box when the passenger side headlight was only working on sidelight, changed the oil recently, had a new full exhaust put on in August, just put bosch spark plugs in it and just bought some mintex front brake pads and some pioneer speakers to go in.

Please guys any help is much appreciated :)

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Sounds like a leak from the area around the timing chain cover, I have it too and still rag it mercilessly. Could still be the throttle body issue.

Ok cheers pal, didnt know that it was a common thing.

Sounds like ive got this prob http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/crank-shaft-oil-seal.34023/
not sure im confident enough to do that myself following franks guide, though the crankshaft seal is only £1.80 at eurocarparts. And then there is the TB aswell, found a photo guide on an aussie micra forum. Will have to have a think I about it.

By the way, is there any thing that could bring on the throtlle body to fail? or is it purely random, it might sound stupid but the other day I got the little light in the boot to work by putting foil on the bulb contacts, its working fine and it seems unlikely to me, but I do worry that I could of caused a short or something that might of affected the TB.

Last edited:
Car is running fine now, and no sign of oil on the belts, must be a slow leak. Does anyone think using an oil leak sealing product would be ok?

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Car is running fine now, and no sign of oil on the belts, must be a slow leak. Does anyone think using an oil leak sealing product would be ok?
Oil sealing products work by softening the rubber seals and causing them to expand..which seals the leak :)

But do bear in mind it will affect every rubber seal it comes into contact with.

I'd rather get the job done properly. Might be an easy fix any way :D