Messy Black Engine Fuzz...Help

Hi Guys,
Im new to the forum, and thought id introduce myself and my 94 micra 1.0
it usually makes a strange noise while idleing, however when i opened the bonnet i noticed a build up of black sludge at the left side of the engine block, im not sure how to describe it so ive taken a close up picture,
I dont know a lot about cars, but it looks like a gasket seal could be leaking, it all over the side of the engine, any help would be great...

my.php

Id'd clean that off best you can - to me it looks old so possible just a spillage of oil when topping the oil up. clean it away and see if it re-appears and check your oil levels regularly until you know it not leaking.

Brooony

Before you do anyhitng it would be advisavble to check and then monitor your oil levels to see if you have a leak, by a strange noise, do you mean a loud rattling from the left-hand end of the engine (where the sludge is), if so, it is most likely to be a worn tensioner on teh timing chain - how many miles does the engine have?
Craig

thanks everyone for helping so quickly, ok well ive taken the advise,
and firstly cleaned of the fuzz, to reveal nothing out of the ordinary.
here is the fuzz cleaned of
image.php

here is where i thought the mess maybe coming from, the picture is from the side view of the engine.
image.php

the oil level are slightly high (checking the dipstick) however i havent had any overheating on the dash indicator, i changed the oil about 4 months ago, however i dont remember spilling anything.

Ive tried to concentrate on the noise and yes it is coming from the left hand side of the engine near or next to the fan belt. a sort of rattling gritty noise.
the car has done 88,000 miles

a big screwdriver, with the handle against your ear can help pinpoint a noise, but dont blame me if it gets caught in the belt and kills you!

Back