any ideas... please tell me.

right i know this is not a micra but still i needed some help for my dads VW BORA 1.9TDi. (i have been on the VW forum but no one seems to reply on that forum)

Well anyway the discs and pads needed to be replaced on the BORA and we took it to a garage and got them fitted but then when we were driving back realised that the brakes are even more wrecked than before! We went back to the garage and he was an Arabic guy didn't seem to know that much english to lol
Well anyway he double checked it and he bled the brake system and then at the end says its Brake Master Cylinder!
But how the hell can it be the Brake Master Cylinder when the brakes before were better than the new ones?
Plus there's like a humming noise also to! The humming noise appears when we start braking and the brakes are so spungy!
What can this be? Anyone know please any ideas?
Frank you always know what the problem usually is, hope u know this to please.
Thanks in advance.

hi bud i work for vw there is two bleed nipples on the side of the master cylinder where the fluid gose these will need bleeding and the brakes should be fine as for the humming noise think you will have a wheel bearing on its way out

hope this helps

i would take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion nainy, it sounds like that bloke is blagging you fwn
a garage should never return a car with defective brakes ffs

micra gt thanks for that. but the thing is, there was no humming noise before and you only hear the humming noise when braking. I best get them bleeded first thing so thanks alot micra gt.

i hate garages... why do they even bother to open up shop in the morning if they cannot carry out any work!
hope you get it sorted... good luck (Y)

thanks sed5000.

I'm just waiting for micra gt to reply to my question. please do.

Question is "why does the humming noise only appear when apply the brake?" is it really the wheel bearing?

Hey mate...

When doing disks and pads you need to have the mating surface clean. Maybe this guy didn't clean the surfaces up and that might cause the hum. You should also check everything is bolted up OK.

As for the spongeyness... thats likely air in the system. You'll need to bleed.

The rear calipers on the MK4 Golf and Bora are fairly tricky for a DIY job, its doable OK but best not try if you're unsure, so I'd advise you take it somewhere half decent locally and get it looked at ASAP.

Coog thanks alot. What should you use to clean the surface mate? Also this guy didn't clean it and there was quite abit of grease on it.

I'm talking about the surface between the disc and hub so not sure how you can see grease in there unless you have took it apart. Anyway, an old rag and some brake cleaner usually works for me mate. I'm really fussy about getting that surface TOTALLY clean with no bits of crap on it.

All I can think of unless the guy had the hubs off for some reason and didn't seat the bearings correctly. Though that's very unlikely.

sounds like someone forced the caliper cylinders back into the caliper without slackening the bleeders, turning the seals in the master cylinder.
I know cos i done it myself on my mk2 golf years ago.

Common on older VWs (polo, golf/jetta) and Opel/Vauxhall cars especially Mk2&3 astra and cavaliers

i would take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion nainy, it sounds like that bloke is blagging you fwn
a garage should never return a car with defective brakes ffs

Dead right, a garage could be sued for negligence, and in particular the guy who done the work if an accident, or indeed an injury or a fatality resulted (It's the LAW ). The fitter/mechanic could also be tried for manslaughter due to sub standard work and serve a prison sentence.

STOP using the car IMMEDIATELY. Get it transoprted back to where it was fixed, and demand it is corrected immediately and at their cost.

Also contact the citizens advice bureau about your rights before you go

FFS a garage should know better, and it should have been road tested

well thanks alot guys. I am gonna get it checked properly by my orginal mechanic. He knows alot and i hope this thing is not too much to do!
fingers crossed!

sounds like someone forced the caliper cylinders back into the caliper without slackening the bleeders, turning the seals in the master cylinder.
I know cos i done it myself on my mk2 golf years ago.

Common on older VWs (polo, golf/jetta) and Opel/Vauxhall cars especially Mk2&3 astra and cavaliers

would they still work at all if the seals have turned inside out? Also dont modern VAG's need you to wind the pistons back in rather than just pushing them?

If the seals have tured in th master cylinder, it is scrap. Get a new one, you'll never get a decent pedal feel even if you bleed continuously for the next 10 years

would they still work at all if the seals have turned inside out? Also dont modern VAG's need you to wind the pistons back in rather than just pushing them?

The last 01/02 polos, and 03/4 Seat ibizas/Skoda Fabias i worked on had the same caliper as the mk2&mk3 golf/jetta/vento. the pistons push back in those

Did you get it sorted then like i said the nipples on the mastercylinder need bleeding off and as for the humming could be that the pads need cleaning + the discs or like i said a wheelbearing is on its way out
let me no how you got on

I'd agree, on VWs you have to take the top off the master cylinder before you push the brake caliper piston back and you need to pump the pedal back up before pushing the other side back. From what you describe thats what they have not done. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can turn the seals back round using a pressure bleeder, but more often than not, you need to change the cylinder.

You only need the wind back tool on the rear brakes.

You cannot phone the police/get taggart/report them to trading standards as no-one got hurt and you paid for it and took it away. Trading standards can't act on single cases.

To get anything back you need to take the car to another garage and get them to do a report, then you will have to go through the small claims court.
If you get the car uplifted back to them you are liable for the cost besides, if they couldn't do the pads and discs right, do you trust them to replace the master cylinder?

If you want to find a reputable garage, ask your mates where they go, or visit goodgaragescheme.com or motortradecodes.com. (Or bring it to us, LOL!)

right thanks everyone. i did get it sorted in the end. the humming noise has gone but the pedal is still slightly spongey but it works! but thanks alot guys!

Back