My Micra Project - 1.0 to 1.3

Bought this locally with a broken engine. Didn't even bother to inspect it, metal fragments out exhaust and a chronic oil leak meant I wasn't even going to bother trying to fix it considering a new engine is only a couple of hundred.

Plan is to tidy it up a bit, fire a 1300 engine in and have a bit of fun.

Lifted it at 10am, began work at 11.30am:

DSCF0096.JPG

GTFO:

DSCF0091.JPG

Engine out.
Bit of rot on the cross member as I suspected. Should be patchable but probably going to fit a new cross member to be sure.

DSCF0102.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG

Next up is to pull the rest of the anciliaries off the engine including the flywheel & source a CG13 Micra engine. Also got to change the suspension (cut springs *-)), sort rot out on the sills, clean up the bay, change the rims, tidy the body, etc etc etc :p. Should be ready to rock and roll in a couple of months, funds permitting.

Anyone knows of a CG13 engine out there please give me a shout.

some good progress there coog (Y)
if you,re feeling ambitous, you could fit the 1.0 pistons into your 1.3 engine eh

Dear Lord no. To be honest Frank I think if I manage to get the 1.3 in there and running I will be doing well haha.

I have a habit of taking things apart and forgetting how things go back together again.

great guide coog really looking forward to this one, im considering doing it myself but dont know enough about it so cant wait,do you know what the pro and cons of the 1.0 gearbox and 1.3 engine are?
and how about the insurance or v5 changes?

There's a fair bit of advice on the forum on the 1.0 gearbox.

To summarise (and correct me if I'm wrong guys):

1.0 gearbox is lighter and not as strong, it comes with less strong driveshafts too, but a standard 1.3 engine doesn't seem to bother it. I will need to take the 1.0 flywheel off my engine and fit it to the 1.3. I didn't change gearboxes because I don't have the money basically, but I might do it at a later stage if I do break mine.

As for V5 & insurance. For the V5 its easy, just send it off with the necessary changes or contact the DVTA and ask, I suspect that an extra owner may be added to the document though, you will need to check. Insurance wise I'm going to bet it'll cost more to insure than a standard 1.3 and certainly more than a 1.0 but seeing as its such a small change I'm not that worried about insurance.

So this morning I had the gearbox bolted up but very little else:

IMG_0072.JPG

Got the rest of the bits and bobs bolted up and connected, including that severely fiddly connection just sitting above the fapping oil filter :mad:. All I can say is thank #### I took detailed pics of what went where too as the Haynes is no use for some things.

IMG_0073.JPG

So, got to cranking the engine and wahey, eventually... it started :D

Got the rest of the ancilliaries/electrics/pipes/etc connected and installed and tidied that front cross member a wee bit more. Restarting the engine starts on the first flick of the key, which is brill:

IMG_0074.JPG

Also drove it all of 3 foot up and down the driveway so seems the clutch is OK, though its a wee bit noisey when disengaged. Not sure whether its because I've had my head basically up against the bell housing or theres something else up. I guess a test drive tomorrow will tell me if all's OK.

Next up... get that front end on and have a look at those sills +o(

Oh and that exhaust is ridiculously loud. That'll need something, there's no way it'll pass MOT.

Yeah, using the 1.0 ECU and drivetrain. This is NATS enabled so I went for the easier and cheaper option.

Too right Frank, being double jointed would have been handy lol

you can connect the whole loom to the engine when its out, wrap it around neatly for when your fitting it and then once its fitted plug the rest in :)

Well I kind of finished it today and had it a run. 1st and 2nd gear is very VERY noisey (like a straight cut box) and the clutch slips a bit in 4th and 5th. Bar that she goes real well lol.

I changed the oil in the gearbox but only put just over a litre in so guess I need a fair bit more. Clutch, hopefully is just tweaking at the cable then she's ready to rock.

Well I kind of finished it today and had it a run. 1st and 2nd gear is very VERY noisey (like a straight cut box) and the clutch slips a bit in 4th and 5th. Bar that she goes real well lol.

I changed the oil in the gearbox but only put just over a litre in so guess I need a fair bit more. Clutch, hopefully is just tweaking at the cable then she's ready to rock.

I think that you will need 3 liters of gearbox oil...

would the straight cut noise be from the lack of oil?
also what would the clutch slip be caused by? asuming there was loads of wear left on the clutch you put in

I hope so lol. I'll not find out till next weekend. 3rd, 4th and 5th are silent, which seems a little odd but it could be down to their location in the box? I'm really not sure. Luckily I barely moved it (up and down the street)

Have been thinking about the clutch too. I put a brand new one in when I was doing the swap but I think I may have forgot to use clutch/brake cleaner on the pressure plate surface, which was a really stupid thing to forget. I had the flywheel surface immaculate too. Silly silly.

I think I've the cable adjusted OK but I will slacken it a little more and hope that sorts it. If not I'm going to have to drop the box to clean the surface and check it out.

Back