wobbly steering

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
basiclly when the micra gets to about 60/70 the steering wheel starts vibrating and moving from side to side i was wondering wether its normal.... when i first got the car it didnt do it but it started after i put the tyre pressures right.

also there is a knocking sound coming from the front passengers side at low speed and now when i turn sharply right theres a sort of scraping grinding noise any ideas cheers

Think that might be the wheels need balancing. Mine did that when my tyres were changed and the cowboy mech's didn't balance them right

agree with arnold...balancing (adding weights in teh correct positions) will help the wobbling

the scraping souns like theres a flake of rust on your disc-guards that is very close tot eh spinning disk....when turning it makes contact witht he disc...cleen em up and may be bend them slightly outwards

knocking at low speed...not sure

i did put some alloys on and took them off again and i put the steelies on different sides could that of done it as before that they were fine

You will need to have them fitted to a balancing machine in a tyre fitting place.

your noise at low speed and when turning could be a wheel bearing on its way out as for the woble i agree wheel balancing

Check that the bolt holding your lower right suspension arm is done up properly, or is the correct bolt, I had some cowboys look at my car, and this started happening, the stole me bolts, and messed up the fittings. It was quite bad in my situation tho, the wheel could move physically 5-10cm left and right, without turning!

But yea, balancing sounds good if thats not your problem

With regards to the scrapey sound, as mentioned above, use the tool that comes in the boot and with a hammer, bash the metal plate around the brakes backwards. (Pointy bit one end, wheel nut remover on the other) I had to do this so many times on my K10. You get some weird looks smacking your car to bits like that but it works.

With regards to the scrapey sound, as mentioned above, use the tool that comes in the boot and with a hammer, bash the metal plate around the brakes backwards. (Pointy bit one end, wheel nut remover on the other) I had to do this so many times on my K10. You get some weird looks smacking your car to bits like that but it works.

I got so annoyed with mine i just grinded the ####er off :p

Back