Steering Knock problem

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Hiya peeps, got a problem with the steering. It's not powered steering. When parked up and i quickly turn s/wheel from left to right, i get a knocking/loose sound, I'm thinking it may be the linkage where it joins the steering rack. Can anyone shed some more light please?

Thanks

Micra 110

i get the same exact problem, would like to hear what people say about this and hopefully it isnt dangerous

i had this problem on my old k10 i changed the steering rack wishbones and wheel hubs and still the knock remained all i could put it down to was either the suspension or one of the drive shafts moving slighlty in the cv joint(and i replaced one of the driveshafts!)... but it did it for 4 years and i never had any problems make sure all your bolts are done up tight and im sure it willl be fine ;) its whell you get vibration at speed youve got problems ;)

Sometimes it is the top of the damper/spring assembly on the suspension tower. The two small bolts are only really to prevent the suspension falling out, not to hold it still (that is what the hole and cup are for). Moving the wheel pops the bolt from one side of the hole to the other, making the noise. Have someone put their finger on these whilst turning the wheel to check.

Not sure if its the same phenomenon or not...

In Very cold mornings I get the bump/knock when manouvering the car off the premesis, steering from lock to lock. Never when cool normal or hot...only when it's ****** brass monkey!...and never when driving normally only at manouvering speeds in the freezing cold......this is repeatable over the 5 years that I've owned mine...

Im with Andrew on this, after recently having my suspension changed to cure this problem, Krazy & I noticed two small circular parts at the top of the suspension missing.

Soon to be fixed i hope so will update depending on results. Also noticed it happens at slow speeds & when its cold

he doesnt mean those rimmer he means the nuts at the top of the shock they can catch on the cup, i know what kncoking they mean yours is more of a noise explosion lol

i get this on mine its thee steering rack moveing in the rubber bushes that hold it to the car , it happens mostly in the cold and it not dangerous the steering rack bolts are tight as %%%% .

Another thing can be the steering rack mounts go solid. This allows the rack to move sideways slightly. Arnolds car is a perfect example of this happening.

Ed

i have the same problem on my car found the noise to be coming from the suspension spring. as ive got lowerd springs when its under normal load the srings rub on each other the only way to fix it is to take the spring off and grease it up really well put the spring back on and voila noise gone

Same problem on my car.

Only noticeable on cold mornings when reversing out of the drive, and turning the steering wheel near its centre point somewhere...

Doesnt worry me! :unclesam:

Ed said:
Another thing can be the steering rack mounts go solid. This allows the rack to move sideways slightly. Arnolds car is a perfect example of this happening.

Ed

Is it!!?!?

Im tempted to just blow it up and buy something else now lol

Its not dangerous and is why I didnt remeber to mention it. You can guarantee that nearly every K10 here suffers the same thing.

is my k10 the only one that doesn't have this problem? it makes some strange noises at the best of times but this isn't one of them :D

I bet I could make it make the noise I'm talking about ... !

Back