Knocking while steering

Hi Guys,

i searched the forum but couldnt find any answers. when i turn left or right around 180 - 360 degrees on the steering wheel im getting a knocking sound. i thought at first could be the CV joint because its an advisory from its last mot (June 2011) but after getting someone to turn the wheel while i was looking into the engine bay the knocking isnt coming anywhere near the wheels or the joints, its coming from inbetween the engine bay and inside the car. the knocking isnt constant it just happens once untill i turn back that way and once again....any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Sounds similar to a problem that I had that turned out to be worn rack isolator bushes, where steering rack mounts to bulkhead. Get somebody to turn the wheels again and look to see if you can see sideways movement on the steering rack

OP
OP
thatoken
Sounds similar to a problem that I had that turned out to be worn rack isolator bushes, where steering rack mounts to bulkhead. Get somebody to turn the wheels again and look to see if you can see sideways movement on the steering rack

Alright mate,

yeahhh it is - can you buy new bushes? or is it a bodge job?