* Which Coilovers *

MikeyRocks

Ex. Club Member
If you want value for money go for meister they are brilliant and made perfectly for uk roads, unlike others. iv had bc coilovers/meister on my almera gti, civic eg and most recently i just got meister for my micra

If you want value for money go for meister they are brilliant and made perfectly for uk roads, unlike others. iv had bc coilovers/meister on my almera gti, civic eg and most recently i just got meister for my micra

Nice dude, Where did you purchase yours?

I'll have a good look tomorrow but I've never heard of Meister lol

i've got BC V1 coilovers. fully adjustable n well controlled, superb quality. highly recommended if u can afford em. BC also sell various rated springs n accessories.
btw if u have ABS it doesn't have a mount for the ABS sensor cable but i just ziptied mine on.

check me blog for full details from page 12 post 558
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild/page12

Yeah they seem to look like a really good quality set :)

But im not sure if i could spend that much on a set of coilovers.

I dont think i have ABS, Mine's a 97' K11 it doesn't even have power steering haha.

Yeah they seem to look like a really good quality set :)

But im not sure if i could spend that much on a set of coilovers.

I dont think i have ABS, Mine's a 97' K11 it doesn't even have power steering haha.

Mine has no abs or pas

in the long run defo worth it same priced as BC

I've decided to go with the BC's

Altough I won't be getting them soon as winter is approching

It will give me enough time to save up

Plus I dont even have any decent wheels to go with the coils yet :D

I've decided to go with the BC's

Altough I won't be getting them soon as winter is approching

It will give me enough time to save up

Plus I dont even have any decent wheels to go with the coils yet :D

Id still consider Meister pal ;-) unless the bc coilovers you are getting is under £500

Ummmmm I think you will find that BC's are coilover fronts and shocks, springs and adjustable platform rear. We are dealers for these and can get full coil over sets made up for us but they are not available off the shelf or anywhere else as far as i know.? correct me if i'm wrong please.

Ummmmm I think you will find that BC's are coilover fronts and shocks, springs and adjustable platform rear. We are dealers for these and can get full coil over sets made up for us but they are not available off the shelf or anywhere else as far as i know.? correct me if i'm wrong please.

Meisters are coilover fronts and rear springs and adjustable at the rear. Also they made them for my set up as iv got a heavier engine in

I think most kits are, BC are willing to make us up kits that are the real deal but like i said in a different post and as you may know the rear turrets have got to be uprated to take the extra load.

Hello Guys,

First of all, it is MeisterR (Y)

We have been around for a few years now, but we are more main stream in the Honda running circle.
Have been helping a few guys drifting this year with great success, so we are very happy with a One-Two finish at the 2011 BDC (British Drift Championship).

1BDC2011.jpg

I had a look a while back (a few years ago) when a few K10 owners ask me to make something up for them.
In the end, due to the lack of demand it never really happened as the tooling would cost too much.

As far as the K11 suspension goes, MOV got the first set of Prototype suspension.
Basically I try to work out and adjust anything necessary to fit the need and the use of the UK community.

As far suspension design goes, as much as I like the "coilovers" rear suspension, sometime it isn't worth changing from the standard design.

As you move springs position, you also change the motion ratio so you have to recalculate the springs rate at the new position... and the previous location where the springs once seat might also become a weak point in the suspension.

It is a lot of work, and the overall performance may not be any better either.
As long as the "new" suspension are design correctly, it should function on the car and give you all the adjustments you need.

The Out Board Springs that the K11 use isn't a bad design... they have been use by smaller Japanese cars (Yaris, Jazz, Swift) for years and you will see them on a lot of European cars (VW, BMW, etc)

Anyways, I will see how MOV get on and will make any adjustments necessary depending on the feedback.
If anyone have a questions, please feel free to drop me an E-mail and I am happy to help out.

Thanks foe your post Meister... Sorry MeisterR hehe! Without price or that I doubt anyone on the forum would buy a set however that said I'd be interested to know a RRP for your product assuming it would be in production? :)

Pepper

Thanks foe your post Meister... Sorry MeisterR hehe! Without price or that I doubt anyone on the forum would buy a set however that said I'd be interested to know a RRP for your product assuming it would be in production? :)

Pepper

The RRP of the K11 Micra Zeta-R coilovers will be £729.
If there are enough interests, happy to hold a group buy for everyone on the club.

But that is after we iron out any potential issue as you are bound to find a few adjustments we can do to improve things once we field test a set of new suspension.

So we will see how things goes... (Y)

I think most kits are, BC are willing to make us up kits that are the real deal but like i said in a different post and as you may know the rear turrets have got to be uprated to take the extra load.

Im using Spax coilovers with "real" coilover at the rear, no need to uprate the turrets...

Actually, while I am here maybe I should give a little more info about the "real" coilovers because it seems people are a bit confused about what their purposes are.

Generally speaking, coilovers is just a term for a springs and a dampers.
There really isn't any difference having the damper in the middle of the springs or outside of it... mechanically, they work the same.

The chassis sit on the springs, and the dampers are design to control the movement of the springs.
Where they are located does not affect their job, but the location will determine what specification they will be at.

A few of the modern suspension company "change" the out board springs design to the "True Coilovers" design for a few reason.

1. Allow the use of a "Dual Perch" design so you can adjust the ride height without changing the damper stroke travel.

2. Allow the use of a "standard" ID springs so it will make changing springs rate for different job easier (such as adapting them for race car).

If you are using a "single perch" coilovers such as SPAX, GAZ, etc... then having a "True Coilovers" design doesn't really make any difference from a out board springs coilovers.

Because when you adjust the ride height, you will also change the damper stroke travel.
So having the springs on the dampers will provide no real performance benefit over the standard out board springs design.
Maybe if you want to change springs rate then yes, but I don't see that as being the main purposes.

The RRP of the K11 Micra Zeta-R coilovers will be £729.
If there are enough interests, happy to hold a group buy for everyone on the club.

But that is after we iron out any potential issue as you are bound to find a few adjustments we can do to improve things once we field test a set of new suspension.

So we will see how things goes... (Y)

Well i'll be happy to be in a group buy, Im sure theres a load of K11 owners on this forum wanting Coils :)

Thanks for your input MeisterR, I also would be in for a group buy based on just the fact you took the time to post on our site with info lol

I know this is all speculation to these being on sale for the Micra chassis but what specs do you have available? Would you have adjustabe damping and rebound (if that is the right term)? Also would there be availability for the K12 chassis? K13 chassis? I know I am getting ahead of myself here but be cool for those products to be available too ;)

Thanks Pepper

At the moment I do have the K11 coilovers ready so I can get them produced.
Any changes normally are minor but I always want to check it over first.

Damper is 32 stage adjustable mono-tube dampers, compression and rebound combined adjustments.
Don't have anything for K12 and K13 yet, but can also work something out if there are interests.

MeisterR, Did you up rate the rear turrets or just bolt the kit straight on? Surely the flimsy rear turrets need at least a bar between them? Cause they are now load/weight bearing when they never were.

MeisterR, Did you up rate the rear turrets or just bolt the kit straight on? Surely the flimsy rear turrets need at least a bar between them? Cause they are now load/weight bearing when they never were.

I'm pretty sure mph (Matt Humphris) never reinforced his turrets on his rally car and never had any problems

When I had the spax coil overs I didn't upgrade the rear struts, Matt Humphris said they are fine if you're not having much weight in the back.

Mmmmmmmm very interesting. Although i'm sure Matt Humphries has probably got a full multipoint roll cage welded in to his rally cars which in turn would tie these in and strengthen them.
Am interested to know for sure tho from Meister R if the kits he supplies can be just bolted in or not.
I would deffo still at least weld a bar between them if i was fitting a set but thats just me as this would still add rigidity to the shell/suspension

Thoughts welcomed.

Mmmmmmmm very interesting. Although i'm sure Matt Humphries has probably got a full multipoint roll cage welded in to his rally cars which in turn would tie these in and strengthen them.

You know I never thought about that, but yeah I think I would put a rear strut brace on as well, I have one at the front so why not the rear (if I had rear coilovers)

Am interested to know for sure tho from Meister R if the kits he supplies can be just bolted in or not.
I would deffo still at least weld a bar between them if i was fitting a set but thats just me as this would still add rigidity to the shell/suspension

Thoughts welcomed.

Yeah I'll say the kit would just a bolt in job, As there be made for the K11.

How would you add more rigidity to the shell/suspension? as when I get coils it could be handy :)

If you think that most of the stress and weight used to be taken on the springs which are rear beam mounted, you are then making the rear turrets take all the weight and cornering stresses which they were never designed for (although this isn't to say they wont). If you weld in a bar with a tensioner / adjuster between the rear turrets, you can then load them up. In turn this will stop them trying to collapse and also add rigidity, Well at least thats how i would go about it any way. No doubt the best way is to fit a multipoint cage but the extra cost and weight would be a real disadvantage for most road Micras.

Mickey Rocks, there is no way that kit is for a micra or march, look at the top mounts, they just use a generic image to get people excited lol. They are a cool looking set of coil overs though whatever they fit.

He has but he said that without weight in the back they are fine without strengthening, and personally I would trust his expertise and knowledge over anyone when it comes to micras.

Does depend a bit on what you are intending to do with the car as well tho. I am going to use mine as a track car and on hill climbs, that said i will more than likely be fitting a roll cage and as a matter of course i will tie it in. But to pop to the shops you may be ok and just fit and forget.

Surprised MeisterR has not added to this.

Does depend a bit on what you are intending to do with the car as well tho. I am going to use mine as a track car and on hill climbs, that said i will more than likely be fitting a roll cage and as a matter of course i will tie it in. But to pop to the shops you may be ok and just fit and forget.

Surprised MeisterR has not added to this.

I use mine for tracks had no problems pal

Its a question of engineering really, if you look at forces that will now be applied to the turrets that were never designed for that then you have to ask yourself am i happy with that, i'm not. You could say that i've been driving around with only two wheel nut holding all my wheels on and its fine but is it? just because you are getting away with it at the moment does not necessarily make it right or safe.
There is a little thing with metal that is called fatigue. And although you can't see it at the moment when you are sat in a heap on the floor you will probably be able to see it then. Once again i have to stress that these are just my views as an engineer.

Its a question of engineering really, if you look at forces that will now be applied to the turrets that were never designed for that then you have to ask yourself am i happy with that, i'm not. You could say that i've been driving around with only two wheel nut holding all my wheels on and its fine but is it? just because you are getting away with it at the moment does not necessarily make it right or safe.
There is a little thing with metal that is called fatigue. And although you can't see it at the moment when you are sat in a heap on the floor you will probably be able to see it then. Once again i have to stress that these are just my views as an engineer.

Well seeing as Matt Humphris has been rallying micras for 16 years and developing parts for them then I'll trust his expertise over anyone else.

I hope MeisterR adds back to this as I would be very interested in a full coilover kit for the K11 of dual perch design.

While it may seem that this may not be worth it we have some changes coming up on the car which will mean that such a setup could be beneficial, especially since we do want to have good control over ride height and have the ability to alter spring rates between circuits.

Lucifer - Lol, try not to scare everyone off with the big 'F'. Although in extreme cases fatigue maybe become an issue for those who continually subject their chassis to very high stress ranges the majority on here who barely push the limits of a standard car nor keep the cars for more than 6 months before breaking them for parts and as such fatigue wont really be a cause for concern.

the shock mounts should be man enough really, they take the full force when a stock k11 bottoms out anyway (thats where the bumpstops reside eh :))

Coilovers are getting too expensive tbh. I certainly wouldnt buy them again unless i come across alot of money. The way my car handles now on matt humphris 50mm springs and some adjustable damping rear spax shocks isnt far off. If i had all the whiteline kit and strut braces on my car i dont think there would be a big difference

#### back then my micra cost me £550 and my coilovers cost nearly £1200!

Ok guys I havent replied to much of this as Im not to clever with the whole suspension set-up :doh:

Im going to go with some springs first then save up for some Coilovers.

Any suggestions on Springs? :)

Cheers

If you're driving on her majesty's highways like most people are you'll be fine with 35mm or 50mm springs and uprated dampers. Most people on here never need more than that.

Take a look at Matthew Humphris website 'Humphris Oxford' and have a look through his rally part pdf file for some inspiration...

Just had a look on his site and found these, Will they do?

HOL K11 Micra lowering kit(4 Springs)

Approx 50-55mm

£118

:)

Back