want to put 6x9 in my shelf

Ok I got some cruddy 17cm speakers in the shelf at the back atm and i want to put some 300watt 6x9 in there. how would I go about doing so? Will I need to cut the hole or will the back of the speaker slot into the hole already cut and I could just drill some more little holes for the screws or something, i'm not sure. anyone?

You will need to re-inforce the shelf i would have thought, depends on the weight of the speakers. also, are you going to amp them? imo 6x9's with no amp are a waste of time.

I was thinking the same thing. I may use them for a bit then by some higher watt speakers for the front, sound like a good idea?

could use hardboard to reinforce it............is a standard shelf that flimsy that it needs reinforcing ?

I was thinking the same. So basically would be a good idea to stick some hardboard on the underside and obv cut out holes for speakers etc?

also, what size wattage should I go for in the front?

TBH i think its best to just upgrade your standard speakers and get a decent head-unit. the sound will be load enough and the quality will be much better, plus then you dont loose space in your boot. but if you must go for massive power you should buy my set-up off me:D

i've got a really good head unit as it is mate thats the thing, just my parcel shelf speakers are realllly bad and the front are ok but wont be able to compete with the 6x9 espesh with the amp.

if i were you i would just upgrade your front and parcel shelf speakers... either that or amp the front speakers aswell to balance it out

You may need to reinforce the parcel shelf depending on the weight of the 6x9s but tbh unless you have got some serious powered speakers there is really no need. Im not quite sure on the standard micra speakers as mine didn't have any but yes you may need to cut a larger hole. simply done unscrew the old speakers and try one of your new ones in the hole if it doesnt fit mark around where it is getting stuck and then whack out the old jigsaw. As for wiring i recommend using RCA cables from the back of your head unit into your amp. alternativley you may use the normal speaker cable running already to your boot which use to be connected to your old speakers, your amp may not allow this type of input but you can buy for around £1.50 an adapter that will take the speaker cable and convert it to a RCA output. When your set up is complete set the right gains and fade for the speakers to get the sound you want.

If you do decide to do your front dont just buy any speakers go for components they are slightly more expensive but the results are worth it. if you shop around you can get a good deal i got some vibe components brand new for £25. Components are better because you get a seperate tweeter for higher frequency sounds "Treble" and a woofer which is basically lookers like your normal speaker for lower frequencys "bass" with a crossover to distribute the two. It has been said it is more worth a decent pair of components rather that 6x9s.

For a complete setup you should be amplifiing all your speakers and only using the head unit for a output to the amp. having a seperate amp in the boot to power a sub in the boot. having all low frequencys taken off the front and parcel speakers. and using the sub for the bass.! =D

got the 6x9's in with no amp atm but sounds banging. Might put the amp in another day but this will do me for a while until I get bored!

Got them from halfords on clearance with some matching rectangular 6x9s for same price. But for most of my audio gear i use gumtree classifieds website, you get some real good bargins on there i bought a brand new sony head unit with mosfet 5x50w and front aux input for 25 quid:blues:

And Yea edge are a good brand they are actually made by vibe along with"Fli" products. i were going to get the same speakers at one point. Easy to install i fitted my tweeters in the windscreen pillar and with my 6x9s i get an awsome surround sound effect :grinning:

Back